Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djones44
    replied
    Originally posted by Frogfish
    I would rather say that Wordpress are a very powerfull blog that you can hack and customize to act like some sort of cms.
    Your site looks great by the way, but where is the forum?
    I guess that's the point. The forum is at reviewexchange.org/forum , because that's my new venture, why I run VBulletin. I had a big eSoft BBS in the 80's and was an ISP, and always want a true board. So bridging to WP would be an option, it has hundreds of widgets and plugins that make it a CMS and then some.

The great look is by a German designer, Michael Oeser.

That said, I want to integrate VB with its own CMS, so I'm on board, although the load time of my home page is disastrous. Hoping to find an answer some day soon to that, and grow it all together. - Dwight

Leave a comment:

• Frogfish
    replied
    Originally posted by djones44
    Ideally, I would go to Wordpress (see my site in WP here www.humanism.ws ) because it is the most highly developed and most developed CMS, also free. Not just for bloggers anymore.
    I would rather say that Wordpress are a very powerfull blog that you can hack and customize to act like some sort of cms.
    Your site looks great by the way, but where is the forum?

Leave a comment:

• djones44
    replied
    Look at vbulletin.com , that looks cheap and amateurish to me.
    I opted for WP, see my site at www.humanism.ws
    And I'm no pro.

Leave a comment:

• amitts
    replied
    Originally posted by djones44
    Careful. I used Joomla and hated the flat look it has
    Can you elaborate on that comment? Not sure what you mean by flat look.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    The "look" of Joomla is completely up to the site administrator. I built a Joomla theme from scratch for a project. Took me just a couple of days.

Leave a comment:

• djones44
    replied
    Originally posted by Autopilot
    Thanks guys, you just saved me 300 bucks
    Careful. I used Joomla and hated the flat look it has - looks just like the home page here at www.vbulletin.com . Hmmmmmm...
    If that's what you want, go Joomla. Not to mention the fact that the Forum is the meat here.

Ideally, I would go to Wordpress (see my site in WP here www.humanism.ws ) because it is the most highly developed and most developed CMS, also free. Not just for bloggers anymore.

If anything I'd like to see better support and documentation for vbCMS, the new support crew here is slower than the CMS home page...

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by XLCR GODFATHER
    There is supposed to be options to add and alter buttons but vb4 doesnt make it easy to find I'm Still looking for it

I searched for 'buttons' in vB4.0 Mod titles -- took about 2 seconds.

Here are the two that are pretty popular:

Additional Navbar Tab Buttons
    Dynamic Navbarlinks

Leave a comment:

• XLCR GODFATHER
    replied
    There is supposed to be options to add and alter buttons but vb4 doesnt make it easy to find I'm Still looking for it however after owning vb4 for about 4 days and a massive amount of trial and error im starting to see some of the features and noticing there is a community of modders putting together lots of mods and hacs that can be used http://vbulletin.org/ you can research and download anything available on this site with a paid license. Unfourtunatly some of specific needs of my community are not modes yet so unless I contract some one who knows how to create a mod and pay them or learn how to write the code myself I dont know what im going to do. I dont know the first thing about writing code so I may have some trouble getting my community set up the way I want...
    As for joomala I spent about 3 hours discussing the features of joomala with a client who uses it and They like it but said in a nutshell it was not forum friendly and was more for catalog work...
    so keep in mind if your main priority is a forum joomala may not be for you. And yes there are many other free forum scripts available but after much research they have even less functionality available with them and an even more complicated ability too find mods.

Leave a comment:

• Autopilot
    replied
    Thanks guys, you just saved me 300 bucks

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Sorry I'm late to this party.

The vBulletin editor is very good for forum posts. I am not sure how good it is at content management.

BUT, an important thing to be said about Joomla CMS is that the built-in editor is really awful. Fortunately JCE (Joomla Content Editor) is free and is an incredibly powerful WYSIWYG editor you can snap into Joomla. It is extremely customizable down to adding buttons, turning buttons on and off for different usergroups, and customizing the output of different buttons. Also, there are several plugins for JCE that make it even better. So when evaluating Joomla, don't forget that a lot of us out there are running Joomla + JCE so that's what I would judge it based on.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    I am not comparing vbulletin to other companies,... I am stating that due to the backlash and disagreements over policy and delays, the feedback was moved out of sight to a forum hidden from public view. I would gladly discuss this further but it would only result in me getting an infraction.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
    Their is a licensed customer feedback forum that is hidden from sight. Every issue we have is moved there where it is out of sight and out of mind. I'm not saying dirty laundry needs to be aired but at the same time, there wouldn't be a need to hide the forum if there weren't such systemic issues.
    That's patently false. It's unusual for software forums not to have a restricted licensee-only forum(s). Seriously, that is the least valid of your complaints.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by steven s
    As of today, vBCMS falls short of any CMS I have ever used, but I needed a tight integration that I have not found elsewhere except vivvo.net which did not support vB4 at the time.
    If I wasn't pressed for time, I probably would not have gone with vB's CMS.
    Fast forward a year from now, I think it will be a different story.
    Too true. Now I think the best thing vB4+ has going for it is the integration. Even within Joomla there are integration issues--this mod won't work with that, but with this one, and only logins but no xyz, etc.

What people may be giving up (in the short term, at least) in terms of features, they gain in terms of integration.

I do wish there were more options in terms of third-party add-ons, esp. commercial ones. Links directories and review systems, for example. Ideally I would love to see some sort of app-bridge for Drupal, Joomla, etc so we could take advantage of some of those options.

Hell, not even that -- just a flexible user/login interface so that it would be easier for third-party stand-alone scripts to hand user management over to vB.

Leave a comment:

• Autopilot
    replied
    Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
    And that is about it in a nutshell.
    Thanks for your nut shell and although I've only linked a few of these (there are lots of recent occurances) I still want a decoder ring if I buy this product.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    Originally posted by Autopilot
    I whole heartly agree, VB has a lot to offer in one package. In the past few days I have been through many threads and spent hours playing with their demo (great promotional tool for sure) how ever the one thing that concerns me, being a noob is when the so called "senior members" reply like this guy did or in another thread someone was asking how to change the VB logo. He was told by another "senior member" to use search function and that will change it for him. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post1921341

I guess with all their experience they figure we noobs should know what they are talking about but that helpful hint makes no sense. I'd be concerned about paying for something which is in my 2 days experience worth every cent and what I'm looking for, only to be constantly baffled by criptic posts. Does a decoder ring come with paid membership?

You are right... and most of the senior members were not like this. A lot of people who contributed regularly to the forums and spent countless hours volunteering their time to help out members like yourself have grown disenchanted with the sheer volume of issues with the product, a lack of focus, a lack of support and continually broken promises to address and fix the issues. These problems have only grown because our concerns are not addressed by the company unless we bring it out in public. Their is a licensed customer feedback forum that is hidden from sight. Every issue we have is moved there where it is out of sight and out of mind. I'm not saying dirty laundry needs to be aired but at the same time, there wouldn't be a need to hide the forum if there weren't such systemic issues. This is not the type of response we, as paying customers who were urged to buy a product sight unseen on faith and trust in the company we've loved for so many years, are accustomed to. And that is about it in a nutshell.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...