Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • surfdude
    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by HydraulicJack
    I was given to understand that Google does not give good ranking to Wordpress-based sites, but maybe that's changed. Anybody got a contrary viewpoint (with links to supporting references)?
    Any supporting evidence for Google/Wordpress claim? I just started using Wordpress for one of my sites still in works (SmileArtStudio)and was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to use but being so new I have no idea how Google friendly it is.

I am keeping close eye on Joomla as I like what RocketTheme outfit and others are doing with it. But in order to use it it would have to have good bridge to a forum software.

I am waiting for dust to settle on vB4 but for CMS part I always relied on vBadvanced (free) as well as for links directory. Example of vBadvanced custom page see Surf Newquay - Fistral Beach page.
    New Member?!? My 'Join Date' thinks otherwise!
    I surf, therefore I am. I think.

Comment

• TheBish
      • Feb 2009

Please read here for how Google, or Matt Cutts at least, views wordpress.

Edit... there are plenty of articles out there. I just chose this one. You can also watch Matt Cutts video opinions on YT.

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

I wrote a post, but I think I forgot to hit submit.

Anyway, one thing I will say about Wordpress, is that Google takes the "Month links" too seriously. Somehow, Google views your month-by-month links (which are default in Wordpress) as a site map and that is how your articles are indexed in Google.

However I find this rather useless, so I will be either deleting or de-emphasizing these links and instead using a Google Site Map to direct it to index my site by Category.

But otherwise I have very good PageRank and no problem appearing in Google.

Comment

• Off_Topic
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by feldon23
          Wordpress is easy to customize, has thousands of themes, has great plugins, I just cannot recommend it enough. If you work at it for a day or two, you can shake off that very obvious "blog" look with some clever CSS work. Its only shortcoming is the user control is better than Joomla but not as good as vBulletin.
          I am in the exact same boat. I love Wordpress. It's ease of use is amazing. It's customization is so easy also. The documentation is very very very very good. We're currently in the process of creating an "up to date" Wordpress bridge for vB. We'll probably release it also.

(Wordpress > Joomla) > vB :P
          http://www.offtopic.com.au/

Comment

• Visualbrother
            • Feb 2006

Funny I think Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal are all pretty awfull. After almost 4 years of Vivvo developers license I can't imagine using Joomla ever again it has such a horrible backend, used it since mambo 0.8 and always hated it. So many crap plugins, even the 30+ commercial ones I got suck in many ways. But yeah Rocket Theme has some really nice stuff that I can't imagine doing on VB. No problem with Vivvo though, as far as I'm concerned that has the best template system. The VB CMS lol... what a shocker, even if they just copied some of the rubbish ideas from joomla it would have been 100% improvement. Never should have bought 4 licenses without trying it first.. oh well the things we do. Now I wait for Vivvo to catch up with 4.0 or VB to start stealing better ideas for their cms backend.

Comment

• djones44
              • Jan 2008

I agree that CMS is a cheap joke, and wasted money there as well. Now I have to redo it all with the Forum as the root. Might sell it instead. WordPress is head and shoulders above all of this.

Comment

• kmohamed
                • Nov 2007

word-press vs vb cms ?

first in term of $$$ of course = word-press
                in term of design and efficiency = word-press
                however if you are looking for great blog, forum, and articles integration of course vb is the best it has great member system
                the cms only been out for 4 months they are planing to expand it

if you want my advise if you are planing to have a big community choice vb otherwise word-press
                joomla is awful don't even think about it
                love is like a war; easy to begin, hard to end, and impossible to forget

Comment

• InfoNirvana
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 4.2.X

If you want to run Joomla as your CMS and vBulletin as your forums ... Jfusion will allow you a single sign on.

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Visualbrother
                    Funny I think Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal are all pretty awful. I can't imagine using Joomla ever again it has such a horrible backend, used it since mambo 0.8 and always hated it
                    The Joomla backend has a lot of problems, namely the Section->Category->Item dogma and the Menu system. But all that changes in Joomla 1.6.

Not sure why you think Wordpress is awful. They kept the core extremely simple so plugins would be easy to write. I love Wordpress at this point, although I wish there was a button to turn off all the smart code cleanup in the Editor.

Comment

• djones44
                      • Jan 2008

Vb is a given if you need a forum. We're talking about the rest of your website. And WordPress is best for that.

Comment

• feldon23
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.7.x

For most hobbyist sites, I agree 100% on Wordpress for that purpose. Does it really matter if your frontpage can share user accounts/login credentials with your forum? Not if you are just making a blog/splash/news page.

Comment

• Cort
                          • Dec 2008

It depends on what you want. I opened up Vbulletin about six months after someone opened up a NING site for the same community. We were the first two with effective communication packages. He told me 'Forums are dead!' (and I believed him). My vBulletin site, with all its CMS flaws, has received far more traffic than his. I estimate he gets maybe 20-30 posts a day. I get 3-400. There is no easier way for community members to communicate than with a good Forum package. If what you want to do is engage your members in communication go with VB and watch the CMS package develop or create a bridge.
                          Last edited by Cort; Sun 25 Apr '10, 12:23pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...