X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arkham
    • Mar 2001
    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
    Their is a licensed customer feedback forum that is hidden from sight. Every issue we have is moved there where it is out of sight and out of mind. I'm not saying dirty laundry needs to be aired but at the same time, there wouldn't be a need to hide the forum if there weren't such systemic issues.
    That's patently false. It's unusual for software forums not to have a restricted licensee-only forum(s). Seriously, that is the least valid of your complaints.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
      • Sep 2001

I am not comparing vbulletin to other companies,... I am stating that due to the backlash and disagreements over policy and delays, the feedback was moved out of sight to a forum hidden from public view. I would gladly discuss this further but it would only result in me getting an infraction.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Sorry I'm late to this party.

The vBulletin editor is very good for forum posts. I am not sure how good it is at content management.

BUT, an important thing to be said about Joomla CMS is that the built-in editor is really awful. Fortunately JCE (Joomla Content Editor) is free and is an incredibly powerful WYSIWYG editor you can snap into Joomla. It is extremely customizable down to adding buttons, turning buttons on and off for different usergroups, and customizing the output of different buttons. Also, there are several plugins for JCE that make it even better. So when evaluating Joomla, don't forget that a lot of us out there are running Joomla + JCE so that's what I would judge it based on.

Comment

• Autopilot
          Banned
          • Feb 2010

Thanks guys, you just saved me 300 bucks

Comment

• XLCR GODFATHER
            • Mar 2010

There is supposed to be options to add and alter buttons but vb4 doesnt make it easy to find I'm Still looking for it however after owning vb4 for about 4 days and a massive amount of trial and error im starting to see some of the features and noticing there is a community of modders putting together lots of mods and hacs that can be used http://vbulletin.org/ you can research and download anything available on this site with a paid license. Unfourtunatly some of specific needs of my community are not modes yet so unless I contract some one who knows how to create a mod and pay them or learn how to write the code myself I dont know what im going to do. I dont know the first thing about writing code so I may have some trouble getting my community set up the way I want...
            As for joomala I spent about 3 hours discussing the features of joomala with a client who uses it and They like it but said in a nutshell it was not forum friendly and was more for catalog work...
            so keep in mind if your main priority is a forum joomala may not be for you. And yes there are many other free forum scripts available but after much research they have even less functionality available with them and an even more complicated ability too find mods.
            http://www.progamerclans.com/forum/i...ine=1270765165

Comment

• Arkham
              • Mar 2001
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by XLCR GODFATHER
              There is supposed to be options to add and alter buttons but vb4 doesnt make it easy to find I'm Still looking for it

I searched for 'buttons' in vB4.0 Mod titles -- took about 2 seconds.

Here are the two that are pretty popular:

Additional Navbar Tab Buttons
              Dynamic Navbarlinks

Comment

• djones44
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Autopilot
                Thanks guys, you just saved me 300 bucks
                Careful. I used Joomla and hated the flat look it has - looks just like the home page here at www.vbulletin.com . Hmmmmmm...
                If that's what you want, go Joomla. Not to mention the fact that the Forum is the meat here.

Ideally, I would go to Wordpress (see my site in WP here www.humanism.ws ) because it is the most highly developed and most developed CMS, also free. Not just for bloggers anymore.

If anything I'd like to see better support and documentation for vbCMS, the new support crew here is slower than the CMS home page...

Comment

• feldon23
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.7.x

The "look" of Joomla is completely up to the site administrator. I built a Joomla theme from scratch for a project. Took me just a couple of days.

Comment

• amitts
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by djones44
                    Careful. I used Joomla and hated the flat look it has
                    Can you elaborate on that comment? Not sure what you mean by flat look.

Comment

• djones44
                      • Jan 2008

Look at vbulletin.com , that looks cheap and amateurish to me.
                      I opted for WP, see my site at www.humanism.ws
                      And I'm no pro.

Comment

• Frogfish
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by djones44
                        Ideally, I would go to Wordpress (see my site in WP here www.humanism.ws ) because it is the most highly developed and most developed CMS, also free. Not just for bloggers anymore.
                        I would rather say that Wordpress are a very powerfull blog that you can hack and customize to act like some sort of cms.
                        Your site looks great by the way, but where is the forum?

Comment

• djones44
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Frogfish
                          I would rather say that Wordpress are a very powerfull blog that you can hack and customize to act like some sort of cms.
                          Your site looks great by the way, but where is the forum?
                          I guess that's the point. The forum is at reviewexchange.org/forum , because that's my new venture, why I run VBulletin. I had a big eSoft BBS in the 80's and was an ISP, and always want a true board. So bridging to WP would be an option, it has hundreds of widgets and plugins that make it a CMS and then some.

The great look is by a German designer, Michael Oeser.

That said, I want to integrate VB with its own CMS, so I'm on board, although the load time of my home page is disastrous. Hoping to find an answer some day soon to that, and grow it all together. - Dwight

Comment

• MCNX
                            • Jun 2009

At the moment, in my modest opinion, Joomla is for CMS and VB is for forums.

Comment

• feldon23
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.7.x

If your website is maintained by just 2-3 content authors, admins, etc. then you may very well be able to build the front-end of your website entirely in Wordpress.

Wordpress is easy to customize, has thousands of themes, has great plugins, I just cannot recommend it enough. If you work at it for a day or two, you can shake off that very obvious "blog" look with some clever CSS work. Its only shortcoming is the user control is better than Joomla but not as good as vBulletin.

Joomla is currently in transition. It has managed to succeed, despite having extremely limited user access control. I think the sky is the limit for Joomla with version 1.6, which will fully implement usergroups, limiting usergroups to editing, authoring, and approving content at a category and story level. If you need a multi-user site, then Joomla is still not there yet, but I am watching Joomla 1.6 very closely.

Joomla and Drupal are both mature CMS and vBulletin has a steep curve to try to catch up. I don't envy them.

Comment

• HydraulicJack
                                • Feb 2007
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                                If your website is maintained by just 2-3 content authors, admins, etc. then you may very well be able to build the front-end of your website entirely in Wordpress.
                                I was given to understand that Google does not give good ranking to Wordpress-based sites, but maybe that's changed. Anybody got a contrary viewpoint (with links to supporting references)?
                                Originally posted by feldon23
                                ...If you need a multi-user site, then Joomla is still not there yet, but I am watching Joomla 1.6 very closely.
                                Yeah is anybody - or will anybody you know with sufficient skills be - creating a robust bridge between Joomla 1.6 and vB 4.x.x?

Joomla and Drupal are both mature CMS and vBulletin has a steep curve to try to catch up. I don't envy them.
                                I agree. It seems to me that vB's designs and layouts (and weakness re: use of a full, dynamic color palette) are several generations behind what is out there in Drupal and Joomla.
                                Please keep up... til you're ready to lead!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...