vB 3.x Owned License - Upgrade to 4.x Only $20 Different From a New Owned License?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s1dest3pnate
    • Aug 2009
    • 3.8.x

vB 3.x Owned License - Upgrade to 4.x Only $20 Different From a New Owned License?

I have an owned 3.x vB license which expires next month. I just logged in and looked at the pricing and upgrading my license to 4.x costs $175 when I could pay $20 more and buy another whole owned license. Is $175 really justified so that I can just download future upgrades? What are your thoughts?

By the way, I already have 4.0.1 installed.

Thanks in advance.
  • mariohn
    • Mar 2004

I am on the same boat, it sucks but i guess we have no other choice.
    WebDevPlace - Your connection with web developers
    Ayuda de vBulletin en EspaƱol

Comment

• kyrgyz
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by s1dest3pnate
      Is $175 really justified so that I can just download future upgrades? What are your thoughts?

By the way, I already have 4.0.1 installed.
      You are paying for the life of vB4 series in one payment. No yearly renewals. It's a new licensing structure.

Comment

• s1dest3pnate
        • Aug 2009
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by kyrgyz
        You are paying for the life of vB4 series in one payment. No yearly renewals. It's a new licensing structure.
        I just bought my license a year ago. It just seems like there should be a cheaper renewal option like $75. What if vB 5.x comes out in 1 year; I have to pay another $150+?

Comment

• Merjawy
          • Sep 2002

I said that little while ago... It makes no sence at all. Anyone with a brain will go for a new license, which is what vBulletin folks want I guess (more money is always better)

Paying every years was not really right at all.. as it was just updates for 3.x and was not a new version, so why did we have to pay for all them updates? makes no sence but we had to renew every year.
          To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
          My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
          CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
          Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

Comment

• kyrgyz
            • Oct 2007

This thing's been discussed extensively. Bottomline line: You can't do anything about vB's new licensing policy. All you can do is either renew, not renew or sell. Don't waste your time complaining here as it's been tried before to no avail.
            Last edited by kyrgyz; Sun 31 Jan '10, 9:14pm.

Comment

• Joey2
              • Jun 2009

So I bought a owned 3.8 license nearly a year ago.
              I remember reading that after a year there was the option to pay like $40 to be able to download any up-dates or any patches, so now with all this vB4 stuff what is the case now?

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Joey2
                I remember reading that after a year there was the option to pay like $40 to be able to download any up-dates or any patches,
                It's gone.
                what is the case now?
                Buy vB4 and you will be covered for upgrades for vB4.
                vB5: Have to buy it again to be covered for upgrades for it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...