Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joecool
    • Nov 2001

Customizing vBulletin - Need Answers Before I Purchase

I would like to incorporate this product into my existing website. My current site is already PHP/MySQL based and I have spent quite a bit of time creating my look and feel.

I have already designed headers, footers, and menus that I would like to use. How easy is it to customize the board to support an existing header (top of page), a menu (left of page), and footer (bottom of page).

I do not want to use frames as they have the annoying affect of having scroll bars within pages, so that is not an option.

These areas (top,menu,footer) of my site also have include() statements in order to do things like pull in my own global code snippets and variables, generate random images, and display other dynamic content.

You can see an example of this in the image that I have attached to this posting. Please note that the code to create this structure is very compartmentalized and I have structured it so that all I have to insert my page content (that in the white area) in a particular place on my page.

<HTML><HEAD>....
    lots of code removed

<!-- start of page content -->

somehow insert board here?

<!-- end of page content -->

lots of code removed

</BODY></HTML>

What I would like to do is simply insert the board into the white area of my page (see image) - this is the area between the <!-- start of page content --> and the <!-- end of page content --> in the code above.

Can I do this? Can I customize a vBulletin template (whatever this is) so that all I have to do is put all the code from my page's <HTML> tag up to the <!-- start of page content --> at the top of the vBulletin template and then do the same for the bottom of the template by taking the <!-- end of page content --> all the way down to the </HTML> tag?

Remember, my code does have includes to other areas of code.

Is this possible?

Where are the templates stored? In HTML or in the MySQL database?

If this is possible and you can tell me how, I will purchase this product today.

thanks
  • JamesUS
    • Aug 2000

Yes you can do that you just need to put everything above the area where the content goes in the header template, and everything below in the footer template

The includes require editing another template called phpinclude, and we'll be happy to help you work out what to put in there for your includes to work properly if you decide to purchase.

Templates are stored as HTML inside the MySQL database.

You can see an example of the control panel (and hence all the template features) here:

Feel free to test out your layout here - you can change the templates around as much as you like.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...