X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carsten
    • Jan 2010

Purchase of Vbulletin and future development

Hello.
    I'm interested in vbulletin, I haven't seen a demo for it yet for the admin side.. Most of the sites I have constructed in times gone by have been with Joomla 1.5 with Jfusion and SMF which has always produced good results, but I'm looking for something more integrated. The features of promoting a forum post to a topic or a blog post is something I find very appealing, but I still have a few questions.

Firstly, all the templates/skins I have found for vBulletin all seem to have the same generic layout, is it possible to totally change the site layout, ie similar to dropping in a new Joomla template easily? If so can anyone provide a link to a vBulletin site that does not follow the default layout of vBulletin? By this I mean not just a change of colours, but a total layout change from the title bar etc.

Secondly, I am interested to know what general sort of features the dev's are looking to add into the future, I am not after specifics just a general idea of what the roadmap may hold. Something I would love to see added is a current mood or status line similar to facebook or MSN messenger..

Any info anyone can provide would be great.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Carsten
    Secondly, I am interested to know what general sort of features the dev's are looking to add into the future, I am not after specifics just a general idea of what the roadmap may hold. Something I would love to see added is a current mood or status line similar to facebook or MSN messenger..

Any info anyone can provide would be great.
    We,the current users of vB, are interested in that roadmap, very-very much.
    It is not ready yet.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Carsten
      • Jan 2010

Hi beishe8..
      I don't so much mean the roadmap for vb 5, more as over the next 12 or so months, minor features etc.

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

The most important is to fix the vB4 bugs.
        There are a lot of them. Could take a long time to fix them.
        How long time? Dunno.
        Only after that will be possible to make a roadmap for minor new features.

Comment

• Claudia99
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by beishe8
          We,the current users of vB, are interested in that roadmap, very-very much.
          It is not ready yet.
          Yes!

The silence of IB is a mistake. So customers are looking for other software where features like gallery are implemented.

Yes, I'm angry.

Comment

• beishe8
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Claudia99
            So customers are looking for other software where features like gallery are implemented.
            Yes,I'm one of them.
            I don't care how good Blogs will be,how good the SN features will be.
            For me they are useless.
            I do need a usable gallery.
            No gallery in vB4? No vB5 for me.

Comment

• Carsten
              • Jan 2010

So does anyone from Jelsoft want to reply to this thred?

Comment

• Bob
                • Nov 2009

Wow! In the old days this would have already been answered by a staff member. I just came back (been a vb customer since 2004)
                I own several forum software & I seriously hope what I am currently seeing here is simply growing pains.

Comment

• Claudia99
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by beishe8
                  No gallery in vB4? No vB5 for me.
                  Oh, no gallery anywhere and anytime in vB 4.x? No vB4 for me.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

We're currently working on getting the vBulletin 4 demo up and running. The vBulletin admincp remains largely unchanged from v3.x. As far as customization goes, there is at least 1 site that I can remember that redid all of the vBulletin templates. Nothing stops you from rewriting every template in the system. The HTML is fully customizable.

Comment

• Carsten
                      • Jan 2010

Hi Zachery,
                      Thanks for the reply, that answer doesn't really answer all of what I asked.
                      I also asked what the development roadmap was ie in a very general sense what are the current development plans for vb, without leaking secrets, I'm not looking for specifics, just general direction of the dev team.

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
                        • May 2007
                        • 3.6.x

Good luck.

It'll be fixed in 4.0.2 is all I see them saying.
                        s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                          • Oct 2004
                          • 3.7.x

the vB gallery is a POS IMHO.

they could intrigrate a gallery like i use with vB quite easily i would imagine.

the gallery i use is skinable with css i can edit the layout of the colums and rows and even the pagenation.

i even added some custom code to it for other links. just go to www.galleries.animerealmz.net to see it for yourself.

Comment

• Shotglass
                            • Dec 2009

It is not Jelsoft anymore the new company representing this product is now Internet Brands. Skins are the common way people change the look of their forums look at some for the vb3 series. I am not keen on them personally unless i have paid for a custom design because i want my site to look unique.

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Hi Zachery,
                              Thanks for the reply, that answer doesn't really answer all of what I asked.
                              I also asked what the development roadmap was ie in a very general sense what are the current development plans for vb, without leaking secrets, I'm not looking for specifics, just general direction of the dev team.
                              I have no information about the roadmap for you at the moment, Sorry.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...