X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirovek
    • Jan 2010

Questions about CMS and other things

Hi everyone,

I would like to start out by saying hello and that I'm new to the world of website hosting, I'm familiar with a lot of computer related things, but this is one dark area for me. With that in mind, I have a couple of questions because I'm wanting to start a website, I'll get to the point:

1) I'm considering purchasing the vBulletin publishing suite with the CMS modules and all of that and I'm also considering using URLjet for hosting and domain services. I just wanted to make sure that URLjet is able to accomodate the new CMS capability of vBulletin because a lot of their website only mentions "forum hosting". Also, if anyone has had any issues with using URLjet that would be good to know as well.

2) If I use someone like URLjet and do in fact get the publishing suite, do I need any hardware or other software on my end?

3) I'd like to have the capability to have an email address that reads something like "[email protected]", does anyone know how this is accomplished? For example if I owned this website I would want "[email protected]".

I'm so eager to learn more about all of these things. I've been reading these forums for hours and searching all over the internet, learning what VPS stands for, what DNS management is and a lot more. I apologize if the answers to my questions are readily available, but I'm a bit burned out at this point lol.

Have a nice day all.

-Kirovek
  • Carlos 360
    Banned
    • May 2008
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Kirovek
    1) I'm considering purchasing the vBulletin publishing suite with the CMS modules and all of that and I'm also considering using URLjet for hosting and domain services. I just wanted to make sure that URLjet is able to accomodate the new CMS capability of vBulletin because a lot of their website only mentions "forum hosting". Also, if anyone has had any issues with using URLjet that would be good to know as well.
    Never. NEVER. Ever. EVEEEEER. Buy server/hosting and domains in the same company. EVER. Don't even consider it.
    2) If I use someone like URLjet and do in fact get the publishing suite, do I need any hardware or other software on my end?
    Nothing else is necessary....Just a server (which is what URLjet is, I assume). When you purchase vBulletin, you're going to be e-mailed the information to log into members area, where you'll be able to download vbulletin suite - ready and available for you to download and install into your server.
    3) I'd like to have the capability to have an email address that reads something like "[email protected]", does anyone know how this is accomplished? For example if I owned this website I would want "[email protected]".
    Create it when you finish connecting your domain to a server. It can be done from server backend.

A computer and a server are the same thing, except they have different uses. And the way they operate, there are also some design differences, as well.

Comment

• Kirovek
      • Jan 2010

Thank you very much for your reply. Out of curiosity why is it a bad idea to get hosting and domain name services from the same company? You've provided me some great information and I sincerely appreciate it.

-Kirovek

Comment

• Shotglass
        • Dec 2009

Put simply they can take the domain back from you if you have any problems a lot of them offer free domain registration but you can soon find out it's not free and they can help themselves to any traffic you built up and that also goes for free hosting as well. Use Namecheap to register domains i use them and you get 1 year's free whois protection with each new domain you register. Also what type of hosting package are you considering for instance if it's Shared Hosting the cheapest option and which i intend to use myself due to financial restraints you need to be aware of all the various problems that can or will come with it such as downtime! Also always read their Terms of Service. More expensive hosting can tie you to certain contracts such as 5 years minimum. Do your homework on google and see what people say about a certain hosting company before choosing them and always bear in mind what works great for one person may not for the next if not least because they have a much better hosting package.

Comment

• Kirovek
          • Jan 2010

That's really good to know, thank you for the information. That's crazy that some of them try to keep you for 5 years. Yeah I was thinking about just doing shared hosting for the time being just to minimize cost while I get things off the ground, the way I see it there's no point in going with VPS or even a dedicated server if I don't know how successful the website is going to be.

Thank you again to those who have helped in answering my questions.

-Kirovek

Comment

• Carlos 360
            Banned
            • May 2008
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Kirovek
            That's really good to know, thank you for the information. That's crazy that some of them try to keep you for 5 years. Yeah I was thinking about just doing shared hosting for the time being just to minimize cost while I get things off the ground, the way I see it there's no point in going with VPS or even a dedicated server if I don't know how successful the website is going to be.

Thank you again to those who have helped in answering my questions.

-Kirovek
            Ya welcome!

Well, VPS has a lot of limitations in how much freedom you're able to do on your site/backend. Because you're sharing traffic/server space with them.

Dedicated Servers offer you LOTS of freedom, there are cheap ones, and there are expensive ones that hold so many users at once. I suggest you start off with anything around $100 since you don't really know how successful your site is going to be. But the way that I gauge success is through experience, knowledge, and if I have a good idea.

For example, for 3 years now I've been keeping ahold of a network of websites - because I believe they're good ideas...I'm losing money, but I want to keep names that seems really good. They haven't even been launched, I have this feeling that its going to help either elevate my brand(s), or make money. I try not to think that I should be in this business for money, but then there's the economy, too. I've been in the industry for as long as 7 years as a writer, marketing for 7 years as well, and then there's the adage "timing is everything."

I just closed a deal that allows me to put a foothold in a niche traffic. Shows how much faith I put into my plans and ideas.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...