vB 4.0 - Does it still open internal links in a new window?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccf
    • Jan 2010

vB 4.0 - Does it still open internal links in a new window?

Moderator: I tried posting this in the vB 4.0 forum on here, but it said I do not have permission to post there (even though I do have a vB 4.0 active license) so I am posting it here...

Question. On vB 3.6 internal links within posts would open in a new window. Does vB 4.0 still do this? On that note, was this glitch fixed in vB 3.7 or 3.8? I bought 4.0 during the pre-sale, but am holding off on actually upgrading until I find the answers to things like this. Thanks
  • we_are_borg
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.X

Yes vBuletin 4 opens links in a new tab or window as it should because you still want to have the visitor on your website and not bugger off to another website in the mean time.

Comment

• mcm-never-dies
      • Apr 2006
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by we_are_borg
      Yes vBuletin 4 opens links in a new tab or window as it should because you still want to have the visitor on your website and not bugger off to another website in the mean time.
      Read the post again. He was talking about internal links, not external >_<

I'm not sure what the url bbcode will do with internal links in 4.0. But you can always use the thread and post bbcodes to link pages on the forum without having them open in a new window.

Comment

• trifletraxor
        • Sep 2007
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by mcm-never-dies
        I'm not sure what the url bbcode will do with internal links in 4.0. But you can always use the thread and post bbcodes to link pages on the forum without having them open in a new window.
        Could you explain how you do that?

SGL.

Comment

• trifletraxor
          • Sep 2007
          • 3.6.x

I found that html-links are opened internally. But that only works if the admin is the only one writing articles.

SGL.

Comment

• ccf
            • Jan 2010

Thanks for your replies.

So any internal links not posted by admin will open in a new window? Why on earth have they changed this yet or at least made it an option? I know so many people that hated this problem in earlier versions (and we are using a hack to get around it). I don't want to upgrade unless there's a way to get around this problem.

trifletraxor, would you mind checking if it is admin only, or does it also apply to users who have admin as a secondary usergroup? i.e. let's say i have a user with the primary usergroup as moderator and a secondary as admin... will that open internal links in a new window?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

You can use or and it will be internal, you can also do that as a post https://forum.vbulletin.com/node/117

Comment

• boatdesign
                • Jun 2001

Would it be a cool option for vB4 to be able to detect your forum URL when a member copies and pastes a URL from their browser's address bar, and then have vB4 translate that to a thread (not new window) link instead when posting?
                Boat Design & Boat Building Forums

Comment

• kyrgyz
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Zachery
                  You can use or and it will be internal, you can also do that as a post https://forum.vbulletin.com/node/117
                  What about linking pages generated by vB add-ons like vBGallery or vBDynamics? Is there a way to make them open in the same window?

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

You'd have to write a new bbcode.

Comment

• Mr_Bob
                      • Sep 2004

I actually posted a bug about this, where it was confirmed there must be a function to open internal links in the same window (at least with the vBulletin CMS)

It makes absolutely no sense to say, have a "static" page with a link to another part of that section that opens in a new window.

Comment

• trifletraxor
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ccf
                        trifletraxor, would you mind checking if it is admin only, or does it also apply to users who have admin as a secondary usergroup? i.e. let's say i have a user with the primary usergroup as moderator and a secondary as admin... will that open internal links in a new window?
                        It doesn't matter who writes the HTML code, but I guess you would restrict it to the admin. It's not a fix, but at least it stops the pop-ups from links in articles you write as admin. What kind of hack have you been using?

SGL.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...