With the suite, is it possible to only have the forum appear?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twobob
    • Apr 2006

With the suite, is it possible to only have the forum appear?

Hi there
    I would like to buy the suite, but don't want to use the Blog or CMS functionality just yet. Instead, I'd like to launch the forum as an adjunct to my existing site, and perhaps use the Blog/CMS functionality down the road.
    Is there a way to disable the blog/CMS functionality in the suite, such that all that is seen is the usual forum landing page, etc?
    Thanks.
  • cbiweb
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.1.x

Yes, you can disable the Blog and CMS until you're ready to use them.
    Last edited by cbiweb; Sun 10 Jan '10, 12:34pm.
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• twobob
      • Apr 2006

Thanks!
      I've gone ahead and purchased the suite ... grateful for the tips on how to disable so the default header doesn't include Blog, What's New or Home? I had a look through the 3.8 forum manual, but might be looking in the wrong place!?
      Cheers, twobob

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by twobob
        Thanks!
        I've gone ahead and purchased the suite ... grateful for the tips on how to disable so the default header doesn't include Blog, What's New or Home? I had a look through the 3.8 forum manual, but might be looking in the wrong place!?
        Cheers, twobob
        Home is for the CMS. You disabled the blog but did not disable the CMS.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• icarusforde
          • Feb 2009
          • 3.8.x

Admin CP > Plugins and Products > Product Manager > Blog > Disable.
          Rinse well and repeat, but use CMS instead of blog.

:P

Comment

• cbiweb
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.1.x

To make the 'What's New?' tab disappear, first go to the navbar template:
            1. Admin CP > Style & Templates > Style Manager
            2. Click the << >> button on the right to expand the template list
            3. The navbar template is in the 'Navigation/Breadcrumb Templates' group (double-click to expand it).

In the navbar template, find this section of code:
            Code:
                        </li>
                        </vb:if>
                    <vb:elseif condition="$show['member']" />
                        <li><a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a></li>
                    <vb:else />
                        <li><a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getdaily&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a></li>
                    {vb:raw template_hook.navtab_end}
            Note that the last line in the example is {vb:raw template_hook.navtab_end}; important to note because other sections of code in that template look similar to the above.

If you don't think you'll ever use the 'What's New?' tab, you can simply edit out the code I've highlighted in red here:
            Code:
                        </li>
                    [COLOR=Red][B]<vb:elseif condition="$show['member']" />
                        <li><a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a></li>
                    <vb:else />
                        <li><a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getdaily&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a></li>[/B][/COLOR]
            If you think you'll want to use it in the future, simply comment it out exactly as I've done here in red:
            Code:
                        </li>
                    [COLOR=Red][B]/*[/B][/COLOR]<vb:elseif condition="$show['member']" />
                        [COLOR=Red][B]<!-- [/B][/COLOR]<li><a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a></li>[COLOR=Red][B] -->[/B][/COLOR]
                    <vb:else />[COLOR=Red][B]*/[/B][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=Red][B]<!-- [/B][/COLOR]<li><a class="navtab" href="search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getdaily&amp;contenttype=vBForum_Post">{vb:rawphrase getnew_tab}</a></li>[COLOR=Red][B] -->[/B][/COLOR]
            You'll notice there are two different kinds of comment tags used, and in a slightly unusual way, but that's because of the way it's coded. I tried every other way of commenting it out but no joy, so the above is it.
            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• twobob
              • Apr 2006

many thanks guys!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...