X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iadmirevb
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by 123456789101112
    I hope staff, a salesperson or someone that actually knows what they're talking about can answer please. I made this post a few weeks ago with no real answer.

The question was; What has changed in vBulletin? (please read the post)

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...n+Applications
    The real question is "What am i getting with version 4.0 compare to version 3.8"
    The answer... well... no comment...

Comment

• Sonny-Crockett
      • Oct 2009
      • 5.0.X

FWIW: I noticed that there is now a link on 4.0 to insert a video directly into your post. It is the third icon over from the font colors.

Comment

• Sir Nick
        • Sep 2009
        • 3.8.x

Tons of bugs :d

Comment

• Mike Anime
          • Oct 2004
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by SiteWolf
          That doesn't, however, quite answer my question. Do I keep my license or let it go....that's my concern right now...my current license expires next week so I either need to buy a new one (whether I wait to upgrade my software or not) or find other software.

However buggy things are ATM i love the suite EXEPT for the stylevar system it made it so i could not make my own skin. if i never upgraded to 4.0 i could have made a new skin for my old 3.6 no problem i just would have needed someone to make buttons. now it is harder than ever to skin the darned thing.

what you CAN do is get a 4.0 licence and upgrade to the newest 3.x.x series and run that till 4.x.x is where you would like it to be as far as bugs being ironed out is concerned.

Comment

• Abomination
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mike Anime
            what you CAN do is get a 4.0 licence and upgrade to the newest 3.x.x series and run that till 4.x.x is where you would like it to be as far as bugs being ironed out is concerned.
            Agreed, or a used v3.8 license from somewhere if $ is tight. There were some nice features added in the later v3.8 releases, at least for our uses.

Comment

• AntonLargiader
              • Dec 2009

I think that just depends on whether you think other (free) forums are acceptable to you. I don't see that 4.0 is a compelling reason to stay with VB; I think you're either OK with paying for VB or you're not.
              My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

• BoYagoob
                • Feb 2005
                • 1.1.x

- New worse style than vB3
                - Tons of bugs
                - Higher price

Comment

• yemgi
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by SiteWolf
                  That doesn't, however, quite answer my question. Do I keep my license or let it go....that's my concern right now...my current license expires next week so I either need to buy a new one (whether I wait to upgrade my software or not) or find other software.
                  If I were you, I would download 3.8.4pl2 while I can and update to this stable release. Then when 4.0 gets really polished I would consider buying the license

Comment

• AntonLargiader
                    • Dec 2009

He's on a leased license, so when it expires he loses the ability to use the forum at all. His question is, is 4.0 worth continuing down this road for.
                    My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

• Nov 2007

Originally posted by Sonny-Crockett
                      FWIW: I noticed that there is now a link on 4.0 to insert a video directly into your post. It is the third icon over from the font colors.
                      Custom BBCode is possible in v3. With a little template editing the button can be added. So that's a very minor addition.

I need vbulletin, the free forums can't cut it. If it is possible to buy v4 and use v3.8 then I will (I probably will never bother upgrading to v4). It seems a shame vbulletin have gone downhill. I understand there's a recession and I'm all for paying more so they don't go under, but only if i GET more.

They've rewritten the whole thing, but for what? All that hard work for a change in skin (which isn't much nicer than the old ugly one) and a few basic features. The only feature that might be worth paying more for is the Asset Manager, but to be honest this is a forum, not a file sharing service.

Comment

• the geek
                        • Jun 2003
                        • 1.1.x

The video code system is far more complex than a template edit and a custom bbcode.

They haven't rewritten the entire system either. That is supposedly happening through the 4x series so in theiry 5x should be totally refactored.
                        My Twitterings

Comment

• Nov 2007

Oh. Can you explain the new video thing then? I emailed the sales team but they don't know what's new either. 1st class operation XD

Comment

• the geek
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 1.1.x

Well, from a user standpoint I suppose it won't feel much different than adding a custom bbcode. I was just pointing out that it is a more complex system than that.

By default, users can click on the insert video popup and paste the url of a set of pre-defined sites and a video will appear in the post.

You can get similar functionality in 3.8x with AME2.5x.

HTHs
                            My Twitterings

Comment

• Nov 2007

So have you found out what's new yet? If the whole thing has been rewritten, maybe there's a performance increase? That would justify me buying it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...