Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtech77
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by quantnet
    We've been using VBAdvanced for a couple of years as our CMS but it is changing shortly.
    We are going to use Wordpress as our CMS and vb 3.8.4 for the forum site even though we bought the vb 4 suite. Our site is highly customized with many custom code. We probably will not use vb 4 for a long while and the VB CMS is years behind WP in term of features and available plugins.
    Integration is the only major issue but there is a mod over in vb.org that does a decent job.

If anyone is interested, here is a mock up of our site using WP

Forum
    http://www.quantnet.com/preview_quantnet_forum.jpg

Wow that looks great! I know it's just a mockup, but which mod or developer are you using for this (if you found one yet)? It looks like what I want, I really am still leaning at keeping WP especially since I purchased Thesis a few months ago. I am considering upgrading my forum from 3.8.4 to 4.0 but as for suite I am not sold on it yet. I think I just need to find a WP integration bridge, any idea when one might be made for 4.0?

Thanks, I appreciate all of your feedback!

Comment

• kyrgyz
      • Oct 2007

Ditch Wordpress to go with VB4 CMS?
      No way I'll be using WP. The whole point of getting vB CMS was to get away from integration headaches. Everytime there is a new release or update of either of them you might find your setup not working, little things cripping up. Bring me my beef stake with mashed potatoes in one plate, not two separate ones.
      Last edited by kyrgyz; Sat 2 Jan '10, 1:53pm.

Comment

• alaska_av8r
        • Dec 2009
        • 3.8.x

Hey Steven ...so the wordpress mod is working on vB4? I am assuming you write in wordpress, then via the mod it is publishing to CMS??

I would like to find out more about this possibility.

tim

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

Alaska -- you may want to read the last few pages of the 3.8 WP mod on vb.org ... they confirmed it works great with the latest releases of WP and vb4.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• alaska_av8r
            • Dec 2009
            • 3.8.x

Thank you Reeve, I will head there and do it now.

Comment

• IDN
              • Apr 2002
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
              Alaska -- you may want to read the last few pages of the 3.8 WP mod on vb.org ... they confirmed it works great with the latest releases of WP and vb4.
              That's awesome news if true. The vB blog does not do what I want it to do.
              Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• wolfy
                • Apr 2005
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ZippySLC
                MS Word adds a lot of weird formatting stuff that gets carried over when you paste into the editor. Same thing happens on my Drupal install. To be honest, I write my articles in a plain text editor (like Notepad) and then paste them in so they're not getting any extraneous MS Word formatting.
                Absolutely correct! Sometimes I like to see it on word for visual effect before posting to my blog, though...

If i want to use word for visual purposes: I write it in word, paste it to txt file, THEN copy to my wysiwyg editor. That removes the Word formatting.

Comment

• alaska_av8r
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 3.8.x

Since I have never used wordpress, I read as much as I could find on their website but need someone to verify that my thinking is correct, wordpress will publish to the vb4 blog, OR replace the vb4 CMS, but will not do what I actually want...I only want to write the articles with wordpress and send them to my vb4 CMS as an article and not a blog. I am assuming it will not do that.

Comment

• quantnet
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 3.8.x

No, the point of using WP is to NOT use VBCMS. If you want to publish in VBCMS, then just write an article in it, why use another middle system.

Comment

• alaska_av8r
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 3.8.x

thank you for explaining that.

Comment

• SamsonEA
                        • Nov 2005
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
                        I would stick with wordpress
                        it's much better in terms of SEO
                        the CMS has a lot of work that needs done before I would consider moving from CMS from a wordpress install, to the vbcms
                        Hi there, could you explain that a little bit more? I'm currently running wordpress for the main site and vb for the forums, and I'm using the bridge. I haven't updated to vb4 because the bridge hasn't been updated (yet). Now I bought the vb cms and I'm in the process of changing the whole site over from wordpress to the vbcms and forums.

I'm doing quite well in the search engines with wordpress right now. What would I have to worry about if I'm switching over to the vb cms?

In terms of SEO, why would the new vb cms not be as good?

Thanks in advance, this information is very important to me right now!

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                          • Sep 2001

SamsomEA,

While I am by no means an SEO expert, the CMS and vb4 in general have a ton of style issues. I think others have mentioned that vb4 has a lot of unnecessary div tags and, again, while I am not an seo expert, I think this does play a role.

The other issue, is, unless you are using vbseo, all of the files must be in the same folder to work. ie: root for you. Not sure how that works out with /forum/showthread... urls perssonally but its something fo ryou to check into.
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Al Zander
                            • Aug 2001

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                            The other issue, is, unless you are using vbseo...
                            I really wouldn't go past that issue for now. Not unless you already have a healthy network of links through blogs/__spaces/__books, which to fall back on. Starting out (with vB), I have to say vBSEO is practically a must.

Comment

• Bounce
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
                              I would stick with wordpress
                              it's much better in terms of SEO
                              the CMS has a lot of work that needs done before I would consider moving from CMS from a wordpress install, to the vbcms
                              ditto

Comment

• AlexanderT
                                • Mar 2003

I didn't want to use Wordpress until now for the following reasons:

- two products = twice the work in applying security patches and upgrades
                                - Wordpress, being the most popular blogging software, is a favorite target for hacking attempts
                                - vB-Wordpress integration isn't as optimal in terms of database/query usage as a built-in vB solution

So I waited patiently for vB 4.0. Given my personal disappointment at where things currently stand with the CMS, and my inability to see any good to come in near future, I decided to make the switch. Wordpress will be my frontpage system.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...