• jtech77
    • Aug 2009

Ditch Wordpress to go with VB4 CMS?

What would you do?

Thanks
  • Newmomsforum
    • Apr 2006
    • 3.6.x

I'm thinking of doing that but want to work out a way to run both in parallel until I can somehow import my old wordpress posts. into VB (over 1500 of them)

Basically I'd like to use the VB CMS in the root of my site (where wordpress currently sits) for new articles whilst maintaining my old WP posts as some get quite decent traffic which I wouldn't like to loose. At the moment I've found that the wordpress index.php seems to be referenced througout wordpress so removing it (or just moving it) screws up all my historical articles.

Still, I do love WP so I can be patient
    Getting Down under | Download2me | Newsgab | Careercraft | Newmomsforum | Freeware Downloads

Comment

• supergper
      • Jan 2005

At this point, the VB CMS is no where near what WordPress is. I'd wait quite some time before trying to make that switch if you are really using WordPress a lot right now.

Comment

• alaska_av8r
        • Dec 2009
        • 3.8.x

I have been out of the job of running a forum/website for a while and have never used wordpress.

With my new website I will be writing quite a few articles that will contain graphics etc, currently I am writing them in ms word and doing a cut and paste to CMS. I find trying to write them in CMS quite awkward and haven't figured out how to make it do what I want.

I don't know anything about wordpress but would like something easy to use, that would allow me to write an article, insert graphics, move those graphics and have them stay where i put them.

I am assuming wordpress would do this but will not work with vb4....so any suggestions on something that will.

thanks
        Last edited by alaska_av8r; Thu 31 Dec '09, 7:45am. Reason: subscribe

Comment

• Loco.M
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.5.x

I would stick with wordpress
          it's much better in terms of SEO
          the CMS has a lot of work that needs done before I would consider moving from CMS from a wordpress install, to the vbcms
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Webbstre
            • Nov 2009

I'm likely going to switch over from Wordpress to the Suite soon for my gaming site. My main reason is that I am tired of running multiple kinds of forum/blogs/wiki/cms software that don't play nice or integrate well with each other. I only need the blogs for the main news page, since only staff can post blogs, and the CMS is going to replace my media galleries. Throw in the already well-developed forums in vBulletin and I have 2/3 of my site running on a site software.

Comment

• quantnet
              • Nov 2006
              • 3.8.x

We've been using VBAdvanced for a couple of years as our CMS but it is changing shortly.
              We are going to use Wordpress as our CMS and vb 3.8.4 for the forum site even though we bought the vb 4 suite. Our site is highly customized with many custom code. We probably will not use vb 4 for a long while and the VB CMS is years behind WP in term of features and available plugins.
              Integration is the only major issue but there is a mod over in vb.org that does a decent job.

If anyone is interested, here is a mock up of our site using WP

Forum

Comment

• IDN
                • Apr 2002
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by supergper
                At this point, the VB CMS is no where near what WordPress is. I'd wait quite some time before trying to make that switch if you are really using WordPress a lot right now.
                Agreed. The CMS is a joke.

There was a great wordpress bridge for 3.x - Waiting for it to work with 4.x
                Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• alaska_av8r
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 3.8.x

Well I purchased vB4 a few weeks ago and the CMS is very frustrating. I cannot produce a quality looking article with it. I type into the wysiwg editor only to have it change stuff, put in extra spaces etc. I have to type the article into microsof word, then cut and paste into the CMS...then when it is in there I have to clean it up, save it, open it again, clean up the extra lines etc, save it again....grrrr

How can you use wordpress as your frontend? I thought wordpress was just a publishing editor that you designed articles in and then loaded up to a website's CMS. I am new at this so excuse my naivety.

Comment

• SteveLV702
                    • Aug 2009

I sure am not gonna switch until alot of the bugs are worked out as well as a iPhone App is developed as I used the WordPress iPhone App Daily to post articles on the go....
                    ------------------------------------------
                    Steve
                    DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                    CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                    TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
                    Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

• DDIG
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 3.8.x

I am going to switch... if the majority of bugs are fixed and they add some realy needed features.

I love the way my frontpage looks right now but integration is poor. That's my main reason.
                      Wat You See Is What I Could Have Meant
                      D-DIG.NL -
                      Hèt trefpunt voor alles over digitale fotografie op internet... En meer!

Comment

• ZippySLC
                        • Oct 2004
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by alaska_av8r
                        Well I purchased vB4 a few weeks ago and the CMS is very frustrating. I cannot produce a quality looking article with it. I type into the wysiwg editor only to have it change stuff, put in extra spaces etc. I have to type the article into microsof word, then cut and paste into the CMS...then when it is in there I have to clean it up, save it, open it again, clean up the extra lines etc, save it again....grrrr

How can you use wordpress as your frontend? I thought wordpress was just a publishing editor that you designed articles in and then loaded up to a website's CMS. I am new at this so excuse my naivety.
                        MS Word adds a lot of weird formatting stuff that gets carried over when you paste into the editor. Same thing happens on my Drupal install. To be honest, I write my articles in a plain text editor (like Notepad) and then paste them in so they're not getting any extraneous MS Word formatting.

Comment

• quantnet
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 3.8.x

VB CMS is just a reworked VBAdvanced. In fact, VBAdvanced has been around for years and may integrate better than VB's own CMS. That tells a lot.
                          I'm sure the CMS will get better and at some point, it will be justified for people to move from other platforms into it.

Features wise, VB has years to catch up with Joomla, Wordpress, Dupral, etc (assume these stand still, which they are not).

If you just need a replacement of VBAdvanced, then use the Suite. If you need a full pledge publishing platform (think NYTimes, WSJ, etc), then look elsewhere. In fact, WSJ runs a site on WP
                          Discover inspiration in some of the most beautiful, best designed WordPress websites.

For more http://wordpress.org/showcase/

For us, Wordpress is a much better choice since there are an integration mod that does what we need and we want forum be a small part of our site, not the centerpiece like many forum-centric websites.

Comment

• Loco.M
                            • Mar 2005
                            • 3.5.x

I'd like to see some of the big iNnet forums running the vbCMS before I'd recommend anyone trying it.
                            -- Web Developer for hire
                            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• StevenTN
                              • Mar 2002
                              • 4.2.X

I've been playing with the CMS... and I must be the only one who sees the benefit in the CMS and likes what it has to offer. It really does everything we need to do. My beef with it, though, is that it's still buggy, and shouldn't have been rushed out of Beta.

And right now, we're using the Wordpress Integration mod found over at vBulletin.org, and it's worked great for us.
                              Proud Admin of http://www.thrillnetwork.com/
                              Finally live with vB4... I will say it's a pain in the bucket compared to what we're used to working with (using free CMS software no less).
                              "If it doesn't fit, beat it with a hammer until it does"
                              - Jesse James, West Coast Choppers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...