X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheElf
    • May 2005
    • 4.0.x

Maintained language packs

As you know the total costs of a web site are far greater than the licence costs for the forum software used, one of the key concerns is the cost of translation. Even vBulletin 3.8.x with the two products have lots of phrases in language file, which means translation costs for new language files are significant.

Hungarian was an officially supported language pack. And we bought an additional licence (without actually installing the software on a new domain, even if we planned to use on freemp3.hu) mostly to have access to the maintained language pack for Hungarian language.

We often recommended vBulletin to our clients, and the existence of Hungarian language pack was a selling point before you stoped supporting it.

Removing a feature that was a key feature for a purchase isn't nice, and in most countries legality of such actions is questionable.

This practice made me ask a vital question: Should I trust vBulletin staff?

vBulletin 4.0 is a new product, and the costs of using it can be influenced heavily by costs of a translation. As we see, with the current amount of licences, and both our needs, and what our clients want, migrating to vBulletin 4.0 can be quite expensive, thanks to the costs of translation.

With other commercial software, I seen a simple solution: Maintainers of language packs (end users) tend to get free licences AND the language pack is available for other customers and with this solution translation costs are reduced significantly. It proves that you CAN provide maintained language packs to end users, even if you don't have a translation team if you use such agreements with translators.

And it also makes it clear: it is perfectly reasonable to ask for either a hungarian language pack or a plan to provide it in reasonable time before we consider migrating to vBulletin 4.0

vBulletin 4.0 is essentially a new product, so staying with vBulletin isn't much easier than migrating to other products, and the impression you make here (can show quality of support) and the translation related costs of hungarian sites (upgrading can wait a few months if 3.8 is maintained in that time) are important factors for determining which forum software should we use.

Please inform me about your plans to provide hungarian translation, if you have any!
    EnerlaNET / Elven Library forums (Roleplaying games, Gaming, irc, Cartography) - Owner / Admin
    Cartographer's Corner blog (Maps, Cartography Tutorial, Campaign Cartographer related advice) - Author