• 6.0.X

Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• aceofspades
      • Mar 2006
      • 3.6.x

It would be really nice to have some input from the VB team on this.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
        Funny because nearly all windows based pcs have the latest version of everything.
        Get with the times buddy.
        I still know corporations who use COBOL, FORTRAN and old 1980 UNIX systems for Payroll
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Mike Anime
          • Oct 2004
          • 3.7.x

you know i am surprised no one is saying we need to cater to those useing an 800x600 screen resolution with the IE6 issue.

my point here is if we as webmasters or the IB/vB team catered to every browser or screen res. they would be taking 10 years to code the product.

my site does support IE and FF based browsers maybe not the forums but the galleries do i use msie.php and firefox.php and that alons is a PITA because every time i add content i have to edit two files. now imagine if i catered to different browsers and screen resolutions. i would be editing hundreds of files instead.

i can't help what my forums look like in IE6.

i think it is funny though through all the years i had forums on my site i have more members now that IE6 is NOT supported than i did when IE6 WAS supported. even when my sister site was open i had less active members and thats back when IE6 was brand new!

i am not so closed minded i thing people need to use IE8 but the new standard for MANY PAY SITES is IE7

LOts OF shockwave and flash sites say to use IE7 or FF2.5 or above veoh, crunchyroll and even some social netweorking sites reccomend IE7 are they all wrong aswell? there are a good many other sites useing the IE7 logic that i did NOT post but those are sites i do not go to often for no other reason than they hold no intrest for me.

for that matter even banking websites state you need to use IE7.

Comment

• kyrgyz
            • Oct 2007

A little of fantasy thinking here: I envision days when there will be 3-D monitors. Industry is already working on 3-D tv sets. Imagine browsers being used for delivering 3-D content over the net like netflix. IE6 will be by then a prehistoric fossil. After seeing Avatar I am sold on 3-D stuff. Did you notice transparent concaved monitors and 3-D mock-ups of the terrain in the command room? Forgot to mention portable detachable monitors that hold screen data while being carried between computers.

Imagine you open your browser and objects just leap out of the monitor to surround your visual surrounding. Like "You've got mail" pop-up right around your left eye. Wow...

Comment

• 0ptima
              • Jan 2002

My university uses the latest version of everything, Optima.
              My university leased all of it's PCs, so it always had the latest stuff on that front. However, the backbone of the university ran COBOL on a mainframe.

So I do know what I am talking about. Only you and those who continue with this "IE6 is the best browser to use" campaign think that it is funny to keep it going. Two words Grow up.[/QUOTE]

IE6 sucks, but I have no choice but to use it at work. Certain enterprise apps do not work well with newer browsers.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by 0ptima
                IE6 sucks, but I have no choice but to use it at work. Certain enterprise apps do not work well with newer browsers.
                I rest my case.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Mike Anime
                  • Oct 2004
                  • 3.7.x

thats because of people refusing to code for new browsers to keep up with the times

if the internet was regulated and had set standards we wounln't even need threads like this

Comment

• aussiefooty
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 6.0.X

My university leased all of it's PCs, so it always had the latest stuff on that front. However, the backbone of the university ran COBOL on a mainframe.

So I do know what I am talking about. Only you and those who continue with this "IE6 is the best browser to use" campaign think that it is funny to keep it going. Two words Grow up.
                    Who cares? Obviously you need to get a serious petition signed for them to change the browsers and upgrade. If they continue this boring campaign you will have the same arguements with everyone everywhere you go.
                    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

Who cares? Obviously you need to get a serious petition signed for them to change the browsers and upgrade. If they continue this boring campaign you will have the same arguements with everyone everywhere you go.
                      My dear, you are wearing rose coloured glasses.

Comment

• 0ptima
                        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                        thats because of people refusing to code for new browsers to keep up with the times
                        At the time that the enterprise app that I use was written, IE6 was the dominant browser. Companies dont upgrade enterprise apps every few months, the cost would be prohibitive.

Comment

• 0ptima
                          • Jan 2002

Ya ok... Im going to petition the large ERP vendors to drop support for IE6....
                          Read all of the IT news from ComputerWeekly.com in this archive. Access all of our IT news articles and features published in the current month.

Comment

• RaceJunkie
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 3.8.x

I had 10,000 visitors last moth that were using IE 6.0, I'm not willing to loose any of them because the developers of 4.0 are lost. I will stick with 3.8 or find new forum sofware that have developers that can code worth a damn. I was all ready to upgrade to 4.0 but held off for the gold releae to see if many of the issues were resolved that were in the RC.. Boy am I glad I did not jump in that mess.. 4.0 is the worst out there now as coding goes, you all have fun with IB because I'm going to ride this great 3.8 series out to the end.. It really says a lot about the past developers, we will miss them that's for sure. vB is no longer the leader in Forum SW..

Geek,
                            I'm a fan of your work and value your opinions on the current development of 4.0

Comment

• Mike Anime
                              • Oct 2004
                              • 3.7.x

At the time that the enterprise app that I use was written, IE6 was the dominant browser. Companies dont upgrade enterprise apps every few months, the cost would be prohibitive.

i never claimed anyone should update THAT often maybe a version behind the current one.

i can see waiting up to two years after a new browser (ANY BROWUSER YOU USE) comes out to make sure all the kinks are worked out and any vulnerability of said browser(s) be fixed

i understand corperations not upgrading as often because of budget issues, however unless you get paid to visit forums at work or you have the blessing to use work machines on your breaks you should be doing this stuff from home.

when you run a windows install and you take the updates you are asked to upgrade to IE7 then 8.

myself i refuse to use IE FF or opra i use slimbrowser wich uses the IE engine and has less bugs and bloat than IE

i do code for IE and FF for the gallery pages i got but not the vB stuff.

Comment

• aussiefooty
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                                My dear, you are wearing rose coloured glasses.
                                So are you with your stupid campaign
                                Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...