X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • napy8gen
    • Jul 2001
    • 6.X

Originally posted by the geek
    Are you guys seriously going to go have a heart to heart with the amount of IE6 users out there?

IB should get a designer from phpBB to redo the skin. Their style is tabless and somehow magically works on IE6. Hell, it even looks the same on IE and FF rounded corners and all! I never thought i'd see the day where phpBB trumped vB.
    I agree with this because I also did phpbb3 styles, at least phpbb3 is strict xhtml and valid.rounded corners is simply applied by span corner top and bottom. work in all browsers.

vb4 cms xhtml transtional not valid. loose html compared to phpbb3.

the thing is we cannot avoid stone age people that used ie6. This will haunt you forever if you dont accept the existence of them.
    even ie8 dont support css3. so all versiosn of ie not just ie6 is not supported. you wont see rounded corners in all of them.
    Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• Super Jinni
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by napy8gen
      I agree with this because I also did phpbb3 styles, at least phpbb3 is strict xhtml and valid.rounded corners is simply applied by span corner top and bottom. work in all browsers.

vb4 cms xhtml transtional not valid. loose html compared to phpbb3.
      I don't like how things turned out, but maybe vB designers should learn from phpBB designers.
      Last edited by Super Jinni; Wed 23 Dec '09, 8:41pm.

Comment

• Dilly
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Super Jinni
        Welcome to Earth,
        Why bother? It's better and much easier if vB makes IE compatible style which looks the same in all browsers. That's why we pay money.
        Now, I'm wondering, what kind of sites you run (if you really have one)? And how you deal with your users/visitors.
        Based on what i've seen - he just abuses them.

His site's shut down now anyway.

Comment

• 0ptima
          • Jan 2002

Many enterprise applications dont work well with the new browsers. That is why IE6 is still used by many large corporations.

Read all of the IT news from ComputerWeekly.com in this archive. Access all of our IT news articles and features published in the current month.

Comment

• napy8gen
            • Jul 2001
            • 6.X

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
            No even I get what hitmancode is saying.
            Upgrade to IE8 if you have to use IE. If you don't still upgrade to the latest version so you can at least check your forum in that browser.
            Otherwise use a different browser
            Fyi, in IE8 you will also have no rounded corners, because ie8 dont support css3.
            Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• aussiefooty
              • Nov 2008
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by napy8gen
              Fyi, in IE8 you will also have no rounded corners, because ie8 dont support css3.
              If that happens then don't use those features.
              Nothing is perfect in this world.
              That's why we upgrade to the latest stable version of things.
              Upgrade your browser or don't use it. Use a different browser.
              Once you see little red x's everywhere in IE6 you have no choice but to upgrade your browser.
              Last edited by aussiefooty; Wed 23 Dec '09, 8:19pm.
              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
              Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Dilly
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
                Nothing is perfect in this world.
                Best we stop trying altogether then...

Comment

• aceofspades
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3.6.x

I fully understand that IE6 is old, and that I should upgrade. However, the fact is a lot of people use IE6 still, and shouldnt be punished by seeing a broken website. It will only result in them having a bad experience on the website and feeling disatified at the website, and not the browser.

If i tried to explain the concept of upgrading a browser in order stop code being misinterpreted to my mum, she wouldnt have a clue what im talking about, but I wouldnt want to shut how out my website either.

Im not a webdesigner, but I thought it was very simple to have a css file which can be loaded only on certain browsers. Does this not allow VB to use an IE6.css just for ie6 uses, which fixes the site and doesnt cause overhead for other browsers?

Comment

• vivamexico55
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by the geek

IB should get a designer from phpBB to redo the skin. Their style is tabless and somehow magically works on IE6. Hell, it even looks the same on IE and FF rounded corners and all! I never thought i'd see the day where phpBB trumped vB.
                    Whoa, what? I was going to say "That's the way it is man" but if a competitor can do it, then I expect vbulletin to do it better, not worse =/

Isn't phpBB free? o_0

Red lights are going off here...

Comment

• Super Jinni
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by vivamexico55
                      if a competitor can do it, then I expect vbulletin to do it better, not worse =/
                      It seems that they couldn't do it better, or at least, they didn't do it yet.

Comment

• man1c
                        • Apr 2005
                        • 3.8.x

I've just checked google analytics and in the last 30 days I've had 224,674 visits from IE6 users, that's a lot of traffic/revenue to lose due to poor design.

I hope they can get all of these problems sorted when the real gold (4.02) comes out, othewise vb4 is a complete fail.

Comment

• Ophie
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 3.8.x

If more web masters would shut out ie6 users, more will be forced to upgrade.

Comment

• aceofspades
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 3.6.x

Unfortunatly thats not the way it works most of the time though. Most ie6 users arnt that clued up and the user wouldnt think the browser is the problem, and would instead think that the website was designed badly, which is a bit of a problem.

Comment

• Loony BoB
                              • Sep 2003
                              • 4.2.X

I'll echo that. Luckily we've recently upgraded to IE7 at work (still one step behind the technology!) but this is certainly not good for webmasters. That's a solid 14,155,308 requests for IE6 users at our site in Dec 09 so far, and I don't think we'll be wanting to lose them. I do hope this is looked into sooner rather than later.
                              Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums - An Online Community of Final Fantasy Fans
                              Eyes on Final Fantasy (Site) - The Most In-Depth Final Fantasy Site Online

Comment

• mlb
                                • Dec 2007
                                • 4.1.x

I just checked my site traffic monitor, and exactly 9.6% of my users are hitting my site with IE6. I absolutely cannot afford to risk losing 10% of my traffic - so this is yet another reason in my mind to delay upgrading to vB 4.0.

My forum is just one section of my site - the rest of it is HTML and javascript that I create using Dreamweaver CS4. And I check/validate all of my pages with IE8, IE7, IE6, Chrome, FireFox, and Safari. It's not that hard to support IE6 - and as long as large numbers of people are still using it, we as webmasters should support it, until it disappears on its own. I wouldn't want anyone telling me which browser (or version of browser) to use!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...