X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aceofspades
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.6.x

VB4 and IE6

I just went onto VB4 from my laptop using IE6 and everything is broken. Almost to the point of it being completely unusable.

I know IE6 is the devil browser, but it is still widely used. Is it not unreasonable for it just to be useable in the browser?
  • aceofspades
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.6.x

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	3677269

This is what it looks like.

Comment

• orban
      • Jan 2005

I welcome the vB 4 spambots!

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

there are a number of threads reporting this.....
        they'll tell you to upgrade your browser
        Last edited by Loco.M; Thu 31 Dec '09, 7:14pm.
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• cbiweb
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by aceofspades
          I just went onto VB4 from my laptop using IE6 and everything is broken. Almost to the point of it being completely unusable.

I know IE6 is the devil browser, but it is still widely used. Is it not unreasonable for it just to be useable in the browser?
          If your laptop isn't a company owned machine where you're prohibited from installing software, why don't you just upgrade IE?
          If your laptop is a company owned machine where you're prohibited from installing software, should you be surfing forums on company time and expense?
          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• hitmancode47
            • Jul 2008
            • 3.8.x

Quite simple really

The Cure: Dont use IE6

There are plenty of other browsers that are much more secure, reliable and dont have that problem

Google Chrome being one of them.
            Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• the geek
              • Jun 2003
              • 1.1.x

Are you guys seriously going to go have a heart to heart with the amount of IE6 users out there?

IB should get a designer from phpBB to redo the skin. Their style is tabless and somehow magically works on IE6. Hell, it even looks the same on IE and FF rounded corners and all! I never thought i'd see the day where phpBB trumped vB.
              My Twitterings

Comment

• Mike Anime
                • Oct 2004
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by the geek
                Are you guys seriously going to go have a heart to heart with the amount of IE6 users out there?

IB should get a designer from phpBB to redo the skin. Their style is tabless and somehow magically works on IE6. Hell, it even looks the same on IE and FF rounded corners and all! I never thought i'd see the day where phpBB trumped vB.
                thats because vB is forward thinking not backward thinking.

i know why people get frustrated by being told to upgrade their browsers but honestley it is really simple to do and i wonder what other upgrades from windows they are ignoring. i find that a LOT of people not taking an IE upgrade are also neglecting securety patches for windows aswell.

Comment

• the geek
                  • Jun 2003
                  • 1.1.x

Forward thinking is not exclusionary thinking Mike.
                  My Twitterings

Comment

• cbiweb
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.1.x

I just had a real life experience related to upgrading software. A friend of mine told me an hour or so ago that his email to me keeps getting bounced back because I'm using Windows Live Mail. Well.... he's also using Outlook Express. I didn't go into it with him about the situation because I know him to be a know-it-all with computers, and it doesn't matter what I say, I'll be wrong. But the fact is, if my modern software is stopping him from emailing me.... that's just not my problem.

If IB writes software made for modern browsers, and some people can't use it because they insist on using ancient browsers..... whose problem is that?

Comment

• fortify
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 3.6.x

Does it matter whose problem it is? If IE6 users can't use your site then you will lose a good amount of your visitors.

Comment

• craig5320
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 3.8.x

While we can't be backwards compatible forever, hence the reason their aren't many "OMG IE5.5 doesn't work with vB!!" threads, I cannot accept "upgrade your browser", as a reasonable response on these matters. I have over 100k visitors a month who are still actively using IE6, that's 100k visitors I don't want to close the door on. IE6 is the default browser of XP. XP comes pre-installed on many brand new netbooks that I could go out and buy from any large computer store tomorrow.

Regardless to whether you agree with supporting it or not, given the style differences between browsers on the modern browsers IE8, firefox etc, you can't say the default vB style doesn't need improvement.
                        HardwareHeaven.com

Comment

• Super Jinni
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by hitmancode47
                          Quite simple really

The Cure: Dont use IE6

There are plenty of other browsers that are much more secure, reliable and dont have that problem

Google Chrome being one of them.
                          This is not a solution.
                          For me, I don't use IE, I only use IE for designing purposes. But Hey, it's not about me, it's about the end users who use IE6 who still use IE6 for a reason or another. and we can't just force them to migrate to another browser, we just can't.

Originally posted by the geek

Yes, I've noticed that phpBB's style is tabless and it really look the same in all browsers, I tested their site in IE5, IE6, and Opera. I don't know how they did it but they did it successfully.
                          And you know what, when validating their site, it has none errors as XHTML 1.0 strict VS 1 error in vB as XHTML 1.0 transitional, and only 23 CSS errors VS 204 CSS errors in vB.
                          Doesn't that make you wonder about vB designers and phpBB designers? it Does make me!

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                          thats because vB is forward thinking not backward thinking.

i know why people get frustrated by being told to upgrade their browsers but honestley it is really simple to do and i wonder what other upgrades from windows they are ignoring. i find that a LOT of people not taking an IE upgrade are also neglecting securety patches for windows aswell.
                          It doesn't look as a forward thinking, Yes, vB is a great software, and maybe one of the best out there, but it has plenty designing issues.
                          And again, whether we like it or not, there are people who still use IE6 for a reason or another, and we can't force them to change it or upgrade it.

Originally posted by fortify
                          Does it matter whose problem it is? If IE6 users can't use your site then you will lose a good amount of your visitors.
                          That's true, it doesn't matter whose problem is, in my site there are a lot of users who they still use IE6 (and believe it or not, there are some who still use IE5), and I'm sure they have their own reason why not to switch to another browser or upgrade their browsers.

Originally posted by craig5320
                          While we can't be backwards compatible forever, hence the reason their aren't many "OMG IE5.5 doesn't work with vB!!" threads, I cannot accept "upgrade your browser", as a reasonable response on these matters...
                          Regardless to whether you agree with supporting it or not, given the style differences between browsers on the modern browsers IE8, firefox etc, you can't say the default vB style doesn't need improvement.
                          Indeed!

IMHO, The best and pro designing is the one which look the same in all browsers, the old ones and the new ones.

Till now, I couldn't upgrade because of the issue of IE6 and other bugs in the vB4.0 gold release. And to be honest, I don't think vB4.0 is ready to be gold yet, maybe RC it is.
                          With all bugs in the new style, I'm wondering if it was a right step to upgrade my license to the vB4 suite!!!
                          Last edited by Super Jinni; Wed 23 Dec '09, 3:13pm.

Comment

• cbiweb
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by craig5320
                            I never said nor inferred that.

Comment

• aussiefooty
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Super Jinni
                              This is not a solution.
                              For me, I don't use IE, I only use IE for designing purposes. But Hey, it's not about me, it's about the end users who use IE6 who still use IE6 for a reason or another. and we can't just force them to migrate to another browser, we just can't.

Yes, I've noticed that phpBB's style is tabless and it really look the same in all browsers, I tested their site in IE5, IE6, and Opera. I don't know how they did it but they did it successfully.
                              And you know what, when validating their site, it has none errors as XHTML 1.0 strict VS 1 error in vB as XHTML 1.0 transitional, and only 23 CSS errors VS 204 CSS errors in vB.
                              Doesn't that make you wonder about vB designers and phpBB designers? it Does make me!

I doesn't look as a forward thinking, Yes, vB is a great software, and maybe one of the best out there, but it has plenty designing issues.
                              And again, whether we like it or not, there are people who still use IE6 for a reason or another, and we can't force them to change it or upgrade it.

That's true, it doesn't matter whose problem is, in my site there are a lot of users who they still use IE6 (and believe it or not, there are some who still use IE5), and I'm sure they have their own reason why not to switch to another browser or upgrade their browsers.

Indeed!

IMHO, The best and pro designing is the one which look the same in all browsers, the old ones and the new ones.

Till now, I couldn't upgrade because of the issue of IE6 and other bugs in the vB4.0 gold release. And to be honest, I don't think vB4.0 is ready to be gold yet, maybe RC it is.
                              With all bugs in the new style, I'm wondering if it was a right step to upgrade my license to the vB4 suite!!!
                              No even I get what hitmancode is saying.
                              Upgrade to IE8 if you have to use IE. If you don't still upgrade to the latest version so you can at least check your forum in that browser.
                              Otherwise use a different browser
                              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                              Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...