X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussiefooty
    • Nov 2008
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by JamieinNH
    I personally use the latest version of FF, but whenever I design or create a site I make it standard across the board. So your users upgraded when you installed vb 4.0? Did they do it on their own or did you prompt them because the script doesn't show well in IE6?

What is your url?
    I am currently upgrading my site. Oh and I don't advertise on here.

I said to my members that if you are having problems seeing my site to upgrade their browser.

Put it in an announcement. They will oblige.

I know with your Christianity site doesn't have a lot of members but I am going to suggest that you look up all your church groups that you want and add them. You will be inundated with members all over the new year.
    Last edited by aussiefooty; Sun 27 Dec '09, 10:06pm.
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• JamieinNH
      • May 2004
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
      I am currently upgrading my site. Oh and I don't advertise on here.
      So you have ran vb 4.0? Did you run the Beta's or RC before Gold? Have your users seen vb 4.0 at all? Just curious if you're speaking having seen it or not.

Your url is of no matter. You had it in your signature line forever and it's on the other sites you are a member of, the site is currently down, you state you don't have access to the license member area here, so I ask all these questions only because I wonder how you can rate or speak about vb 4.0 if by chance you don't own a license of it.

It's unimportant I suppose, we each have our own opinions. I would like to keep the 13% that still use IE6 and you would have them either go away, or upgrade. Different strokes for different folks I suppose..

Comment

• aussiefooty
        • Nov 2008
        • 6.0.X

So you have ran vb 4.0? Did you run the Beta's or RC before Gold? Have your users seen vb 4.0 at all? Just curious if you're speaking having seen it or not.

Your url is of no matter. You had it in your signature line forever and it's on the other sites you are a member of, the site is currently down, you state you don't have access to the license member area here, so I ask all these questions only because I wonder how you can rate or speak about vb 4.0 if by chance you don't own a license of it.

It's unimportant I suppose, we each have our own opinions. I would like to keep the 13% that still use IE6 and you would have them either go away, or upgrade. Different strokes for different folks I suppose..
        Jamie,
        None of my members use IE6.

We all use FF, Opera, IE8 and Chrome.

No we have not run vB 4 as yet that's what I am upgrading to. In fact because my url has expired anyway it will have a new domain name.
        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• Mike Anime
          • Oct 2004
          • 3.7.x

so far only .5% of my traffic uses IE 6.

I have found most anime fans upgrade their browsers so they can watch their Anime online without glitches.

Lots of sites refuse to code for IE 6 anymore as it is an outdated browser. infact many filesharing sites, streaming media sites and social networking sites state their sites are best viewed in IE 7 or above. or FF 2.5 or above.

Comment

• zomega
            • Apr 2006

I personally use the latest version of FF, but whenever I design or create a site I make it standard across the board. So your users upgraded when you installed vb 4.0? Did they do it on their own or did you prompt them because the script doesn't show well in IE6?

What is your url?
            Just a heads up a lot of your images have the red x's in them, which I assume is what he was referring to.

Firefox doesn't display the red x's so you might want to look at your site in another browser.
            sigpic

Jihen Theory - Anime news, reviews and torrent tracker.

Comment

• man1c
              • Apr 2005
              • 3.8.x

Jamie,

No we have not run vB 4 as yet that's what I am upgrading to. In fact because my url has expired anyway it will have a new domain name.
              So in reality you run some piddling little site that two of your friends visit when you actually have it running - I'm sorry but your opinion means nothing and you aren’t qualified to even enter this debate.

Some of us have millions of visitors per month and the lack of IE6 compatibility is a huge problem.

Comment

• JamieinNH
                • May 2004
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by zomega
                Just a heads up a lot of your images have the red x's in them, which I assume is what he was referring to.

Firefox doesn't display the red x's so you might want to look at your site in another browser.
                I just went to my site with IE8, which, other than FF is the only thing I have on my laptop. My desktop is down, hard drive failure. I will have to look tomorrow at work. I work in a hospital and they are tied to IE6 for some reason.

Where are the x's you're seeing in the articles on the main page?

btw, I believe their a she..

Comment

• the geek
                  • Jun 2003
                  • 1.1.x

Jamie,

Couldn't even bring your site up to see. You are missing a very important point though. You can't ask your members to upgrade their browsers because they will never be members if they use IE6. Statistically, IE6 is used by more than Opera, Safari and Chrome.

Originally posted by zomega
                  Personally I don't care. If members can't do me the favor of upgrading their browser(which is free by the way), than I'm not losing sleep if they can't view my site properly. They could upgrade to the latest version of IE, mozilla firefox, opera, chrome, or a myriad of others completely for free.
                  Is that on your site with 10 active members?

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                  so far only .5% of my traffic uses IE 6.
                  All 67 members for your 35 posts?

You guys make me think of a shop owner refusing to put in disabled parking spaces or providing wheelchair access because none of their 10 customers are disabled. People use IE6 because THEY NEED TO. Larger sites cannot be stupid enough to cut off thousands to millions of their audience per year just because you aren't bothered to lose 10 of your audience members per year. In this advanced web designing tome, it states that you should make the browsing experience consistent across the widest range of browsers possible. If IE6 has too few users to make the cut then you should by rights drop all support for all versions of FF pre 3.5, All versions of Opera, All Chrome and all Safari.
                  My Twitterings

Comment

• aussiefooty
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by the geek
                    Couldn't even bring your site up to see. You are missing a very important point though. You can't ask your members to upgrade their browsers because they will never be members if they use IE6. Statistically, IE6 is used by more than Opera, Safari and Chrome.

Is that on your site with 10 active members?

All 67 members for your 35 posts?

You guys make me think of a shop owner refusing to put in disabled parking spaces or providing wheelchair access because none of their 10 customers are disabled. People use IE6 because THEY NEED TO. Larger sites cannot be stupid enough to cut off thousands to millions of their audience per year just because you aren't bothered to lose 10 of your audience members per year. In this advanced web designing tome, it states that you should make the browsing experience consistent across the widest range of browsers possible. If IE6 has too few users to make the cut then you should by rights drop all support for all versions of FF pre 3.5, All versions of Opera, All Chrome and all Safari.
                    No simply because they were getting red x's on their screen. It made it look like that the whole thing was broken.
                    I don't believe everything I read either dude. Unlike what you do. What you are saying is very old school that is so off the mark possible, that you wouldn't give a rat's about what Microsoft has clearly stated on it's site in the middle of the year that they will be stopping the support for IE 6.
                    That's why I simply asked my customers to upgrade from the old browsers to the new ones.
                    THere was no arguments about which browser was better. They just went and did it.
                    Now to save arguments all the time just do what's asked and upgrade. It would make it a lot easier.
                    If you are at a workplace that won't let you upgrade get a petition around the place to get them to upgrade their old technology.
                    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• aussiefooty
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by man1c
                      So in reality you run some piddling little site that two of your friends visit when you actually have it running - I'm sorry but your opinion means nothing and you aren’t qualified to even enter this debate.

Some of us have millions of visitors per month and the lack of IE6 compatibility is a huge problem.
                      No I think you are just wanting to argue all the time all because you refuse to upgrade. Also those members who work in that old browser won't be able to use the new Adobe software as it insists that you upgrade before taking on the new software....
                      TELL YOUR LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE TO UPGRADE instead of having a bun fight over what browser is best.
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• man1c
                        • Apr 2005
                        • 3.8.x

TELL YOUR LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE TO UPGRADE instead of having a bun fight over what browser is best.
                        It's not my job to dictate to people what browsers they should use, it's my job to make money. Obviously you know nothing about the subject so I sugest you stop talking about things you clearly dont understand.

Comment

• the geek
                          • Jun 2003
                          • 1.1.x

No simply because they were getting red x's on their screen. It made it look like that the whole thing was broken.
                          I don't believe everything I read either dude. Unlike what you do. What you are saying is very old school that is so off the mark possible, that you wouldn't give a rat's about what Microsoft has clearly stated on it's site in the middle of the year that they will be stopping the support for IE 6.
                          That's why I simply asked my customers to upgrade from the old browsers to the new ones.
                          THere was no arguments about which browser was better. They just went and did it.
                          Now to save arguments all the time just do what's asked and upgrade. It would make it a lot easier.
                          If you are at a workplace that won't let you upgrade get a petition around the place to get them to upgrade their old technology.
                          You don't believe in statistics? Im not arguing about MS's support for IE6 or which is the better browser. I am merely making the point that right now, as I type these very words, 11% of those people on my site are using IE6. More are using IE6 than Safari, Opera and Chrome. If I provide a broken looking site to them, do you think they will become members? Do you think they will hang around or do you think (like most do when coming across a site like that) "ewww, that site needs some attention. Must not be very good".

My question to you is: Why does it matter so much? Shouldn't you expect vBulletin "the king of forums" to be able to come up with a design that actually worked in all modern browsers? Why do I get a consistent experience regardless of the browser I am using (rounded corners and all) when I visit a free forum like phpBB? Why should I HAVE to care what my users are browsing with when I use vB but I don't using any other browser out there? Why am I paying MORE and getting less? More importantly, why should it matter to you that I want IE6 support?
                          My Twitterings

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by man1c
                            It's not my job to dictate to people what browsers they should use, it's my job to make money. Obviously you know nothing about the subject so I sugest you stop talking about things you clearly dont understand.
                            Originally posted by the geek
                            You don't believe in statistics? Im not arguing about MS's support for IE6 or which is the better browser. I am merely making the point that right now, as I type these very words, 11% of those people on my site are using IE6. More are using IE6 than Safari, Opera and Chrome. If I provide a broken looking site to them, do you think they will become members? Do you think they will hang around or do you think (like most do when coming across a site like that) "ewww, that site needs some attention. Must not be very good".

My question to you is: Why does it matter so much? Shouldn't you expect vBulletin "the king of forums" to be able to come up with a design that actually worked in all modern browsers? Why do I get a consistent experience regardless of the browser I am using (rounded corners and all) when I visit a free forum like phpBB? Why should I HAVE to care what my users are browsing with when I use vB but I don't using any other browser out there? Why am I paying MORE and getting less? More importantly, why should it matter to you that I want IE6 support?
                            You're both wasting your time. schwab2clarkson does not live in the real world and never has. All she ever does is defend vBulletin *no matter what*, even if it means resorting to ridiculous suggestions like "tell your users to upgrade", the stupidity of which isn't even worth going into.

Just ignore her. I can never work out if she's a troll or just genuinely doesn't grasp the basic issues of being a webmaster. Suffice to say she's not actually allowed in the Licensed Customer Feedback forum, because she was winding everyone up so much and causing arguments.
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

If one of my customer's CTO saw that you circulated a petition, they'd laugh for a few minutes, and tell you it won't happen. Some custom applications like healthcare were designed for IE6. It works well in IE6, and okay in IE7. Toss in IE8 into the equation, and the application dies completely. It kicks you out of the system altogether.

It is why many companies block installing windows updates. It would essentially bring things to a screeching halt. Plus they'd block installing any third-party applications as it could potentially compromise security of these systems.

Needless to say, in the workplace and real world, not everyone jumps immediately to updating everything immediately.
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Paul M
                                Former Lead Developer
                                vB.Com & vB.Org
                                • Sep 2004

You are so deluded sometimes its almost amusing reading you posts. No one using IE6 cares if Microsoft support it or not anymore.

Petition the workplace - ROFL, seriously, what planet are you on ? do you really think a multi-million pound business is going to give a rats ass about some silly little petition. Just in case you cant figure out the answer - its No, they wont.

You (like many of the others in this thread [and others] who just say "tell them to upgrade") clearly have no grasp of the real world. Enjoy your little fantasy world, and leave reality to the adults please.
                                Baby, I was born this way

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...