Vbulletin 3 owned license owner.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harishankar
    • Dec 2005

I am a long-time vbulletin owned-license customer and I current am on vBulletin 3.6.x. When I purchased, I was given the indication that I could download security updates perpetually by using the renewal option. Within three years, things have changed so much.

It seems utterly incredible that we aren't even allowed to download security updated versions at a lower cost. Why was the $40 (earlier it was $30) membership renewal option removed.

I earn zilch from my forum as advertising revenue is getting very scarce these days and I see no reason to continue using a software like vbulletin which wants me to pay for even small updates. I am absolutely not interested in vbulletin 4.0. There should be a lower price for continuing with vBulletin 3.x series at least!

When I purchased, I thought I would have the option to download security updates without paying the full price of the new version every time.

I am utterly disappointed in this policy change over the years. No longer you seem interested in retaining old customers. Really sad state of affairs.

Comment

• tiberonmagnus
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by harishankar
      I am a long-time vbulletin owned-license customer and I current am on vBulletin 3.6.x. When I purchased, I was given the indication that I could download security updates perpetually by using the renewal option. Within three years, things have changed so much.

It seems utterly incredible that we aren't even allowed to download security updated versions at a lower cost. Why was the $40 (earlier it was $30) membership renewal option removed.

I earn zilch from my forum as advertising revenue is getting very scarce these days and I see no reason to continue using a software like vbulletin which wants me to pay for even small updates. I am absolutely not interested in vbulletin 4.0. There should be a lower price for continuing with vBulletin 3.x series at least!

When I purchased, I thought I would have the option to download security updates without paying the full price of the new version every time.

I am utterly disappointed in this policy change over the years. No longer you seem interested in retaining old customers. Really sad state of affairs.
      That's the same thing I thought. Once buying the "Owned License" that I wouldn't have to re-buy another Owned License, but rather just pay the annual fees to update the one I have. I am very unhappy with the way they are approaching this now.
      http://www.legionofsteel.org

Comment

• handiyman
        • Dec 2007

Even though I like VB as a whole, I upgraded 2 of my licenses, for other two decided to keep with 3.8 itself because of this high cost. No disappointments or complaints here as a company they have decided to go ahead with this pricing model but as an end customer, it is not sustainable for me to upgrade all. So decided to use other forum software for one, and the next one need to decide whether to upgrade or find other forum software.

Comment

• ChopSuey
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by tiberonmagnus
          That's the same thing I thought. Once buying the "Owned License" that I wouldn't have to re-buy another Owned License, but rather just pay the annual fees to update the one I have. I am very unhappy with the way they are approaching this now.
          "owned license" expires weird , "owned"

Comment

• bosss
            • Jan 2008

Nobody can change our original buy/sales agreement, and every change from one side is against law! That is what vbulletin maked!
            That is crime!

regards

bosss
            Welcome to Libar

Comment

• mariohn
              • Mar 2004

I wish they would reconsider their pricing structure, and honor the "owners" of licenses. Also as others mentioned I have been looking into other forum software, i never though i would as my biggest forum is about Vbulletin itself, but i am afraid that with this pricing i will have to find something else.
              WebDevPlace - Your connection with web developers
              Ayuda de vBulletin en Español

Comment

• mkinnov8
                • Oct 2006
                • 3.6.x

Hi all,

Please excuse if this is posted in the wrong place..

I am a 3.8 user and have been with vb for a few years, owned two leased licences in the past but now down to just one which I run for my community.. small but active. Now with these new prices and products, I get the impression that when my leased licence expires in January 2010 I will have to purchase 4.0 even if I dont wish to upgrade to 4.0.. there are no leased licence options offered anymore? Is that correct?

Im just trying to find out what my options are. It seems that vb has taken a decision to squeeze money from all users, to get everyone on to the same base platform. I can understand the business sense in such a move, but what about the little guys?

I dont even see an option to upgrade from a 3.8 leased licence to an owned licence without going through the 4.0 route.

Someone please tell me Im wrong?

Comment

• Shamil.
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by bosss
                  Nobody can change our original buy/sales agreement, and every change from one side is against law! That is what vbulletin maked!
                  That is crime!

regards

bosss
                  I have already told you that it is LEGAL. Now stop spreading rubbish.

Originally posted by mkinnov8
                  Hi all,

Please excuse if this is posted in the wrong place..

I am a 3.8 user and have been with vb for a few years, owned two leased licences in the past but now down to just one which I run for my community.. small but active. Now with these new prices and products, I get the impression that when my leased licence expires in January 2010 I will have to purchase 4.0 even if I dont wish to upgrade to 4.0.. there are no leased licence options offered anymore? Is that correct?

Im just trying to find out what my options are. It seems that vb has taken a decision to squeeze money from all users, to get everyone on to the same base platform. I can understand the business sense in such a move, but what about the little guys?

I dont even see an option to upgrade from a 3.8 leased licence to an owned licence without going through the 4.0 route.

Someone please tell me Im wrong?
                  Nope, you are correct.
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• mkinnov8
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 3.6.x

How Wonderful.

Comment

• globecodds
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4.1.x

My 3.8.X licence expired a month ago and i have been able to download all the updates to the 3.8.x software after it expired, updated it to PL2 yesterday!

Just a thought as i have an owned licence for 3x can i still use that as well as 4x as i bought a new licence for 4x????????

Comment

• glassic
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 3.8.x

I purchased an "Owned License" in March 09. When I went in to get the discounted $40 yearly fee, by paying early, is when I discovered all this. Yes, saw a message in my admin program about upgrading to 4.0 just a few months after our purchase of 3.8.+ but had no need to upgrade our program to a newer version when we just pulled together funds to purchased this one.

We haven't even had a years worth of use of our program we purchased and we are required to purchase again.

We are just a small group of friends with a common interest who pulled some money together to get online.

VBulletin was suggested to us as a good way to go. Now everyone has to pony up again in less than a years time! That is just plain wrong!

So much for the program that came highly recommended to us.

Comment

• Ace
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by globecodds
                          Just a thought as i have an owned licence for 3x can i still use that as well as 4x as i bought a new licence for 4x????????
                          No you can't.
                          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Tygerwoody
                            • Jul 2007

Wow. vBulletin is turning into a joke. I too own a 3.8 license. I actually had my credit card out ready to buy a license for 4.0 tonight... until I saw the price

You mean to tell me I paid $180 for a license already and now you want me to pay another $200 to "upgrade" which is basically the same cost as if I never bought vbulletin at all? This is a joke. I will NEVER recommend vBulletin to anyone again. And believe me, I got these guys plenty of sales from my word of mouth.

Shame on you vBulletin. This is an absolute disgrace.

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Ace he has two licenses.

globecodds,

You havae two licenses, you can run 1 vBulletin 3.x forums and another 4.x or 3.x on your new 4.0 license.

Comment

• Tygerwoody
                                • Jul 2007

Another thing I noticed, is the new vBulletin 4.0 doesn't have an expiration date. Well that's great. So my license I paid nearly the same amount is basically worthless and can never update again. How awful. I can't believe more people aren't complaining about this.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...