Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • napy8gen
    • Jul 2001
    • 6.X

Originally posted by bigwater
    As of 1:09 AM GMT-5 on gold release day, there are still 199 CSS errors and 939 warnings on the /forum home page. That's just the forum home page. If you don't care that your site is not going to be indexed by the bots for search engine rankings, then by all means go ahead and use it. It's perfectly workable software from a human user standpoint.
    I reported the w3c validation bug here.

I hope they fixed it. Some of my customers are very strict on this w3c validation.

Final product without a valid xhtml transtional is not good. phpbb3 has strict xhtml, you can see spiders came in like hell. So even we vbulletin have loose xhtml but we dont valid.
    Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• Protoss
      • Dec 2004
      • 3.8.x

Absolutely not! NO!

Comment

• orban
        • Jan 2005

I searched for "server optimization" - it took 28 seconds. That's the real user experience.

The new skin is a div soup instead of a table soup. What gives? And it doesn't follow any of the standards or widely followed guidelines, like real buttons for forms, links for links, and so on. There's no typography. You have no idea what's clickable and what not. Is the username a link? You actually need to click on it to find out.

I don't see any new features. It seriously looks like vB 3 with a new skin. SEO? Anyone who cares (not me anyway) will have used vBSEO. Asset Manager? vB isn't a social network or a file upload software.

And I bet the PHP code is still the mess it was before.

I'm very curious what gets released today. It took two years to get here?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

4.0 is the first step on the reworking of the entire vB codebase. Yes, a CMS has been added and this is being done after years of people screaming for it.
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Hameedacpa
            • Dec 2009

I think the only people can give judge about vb4 is developers , because they know what are the major bugs well ? so I believe that if they are going to release vb4 gold today it will work very well .

Comment

• NOJ75
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Hameedacpa
              I think the only people can give judge about vb4 is developers , because they know what are the major bugs well ? so I believe that if they are going to release vb4 gold today it will work very well .
              But what if they are under orders from IB? They are not going to risk their jobs by telling t=us they are being forced to release a product that they think is not ready.

Comment

• vivid2k
                • Nov 2009
                • 3.8.x

I’ve often wondered why some the senior development team for vBulletin suddenly left without any advance warning. In one short month, Kier Darby, Mike Sullivan, and Scott Macvicar all left Internet Brands. In that one month, it represented a significant loss of talent, senior management, and senior development of vBulletin. These three represent the brains […]
                [URL="http://www.drynclean.com"]Carpet Cleaning Virginia Beach[/URL="http://www.drynclean.com"] - [URL="http://www.cicarpetcare.com"]Carpet Cleaning Naperville[/URL="http://www.cicarpetcare.com"] - [URL="http://www.truckmountforums.com"]Carpet Cleaning Forum[/URL="http://www.truckmountforums.com"] ...

Comment

• kfiasche81
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 3.8.x

206 vs 95

Comment

• Spearin
                    • Dec 2009

I have been running the beta and release candidate versions, with my first time using vBulletin (ever, but with multiple free forum experience), and have come up with this: http://www.npac.ca/2010

I think it is ready, as it serves my purposes and anything I see that needs changing, it's usually a layout issue or something easily changed with easy to locate code.

It is a forum-based CMS that acts as a platform for the inevitable flood of mods. It already revolutionized the way an organization operates before it was even released.

Comment

• vivamexico55
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Spearin
                      I have been running the beta and release candidate versions, with my first time using vBulletin (ever, but with multiple free forum experience), and have come up with this: http://www.npac.ca/2010

I think it is ready, as it serves my purposes and anything I see that needs changing, it's usually a layout issue or something easily changed with easy to locate code.

It is a forum-based CMS that acts as a platform for the inevitable flood of mods. It already revolutionized the way an organization operates before it was even released.
                      edit: Damn it! Somehow it erased my answer to you, so I repeat it:

Something in your website is broken, I don't know if it's your custom design or a bug in the CMS itself - when I go to this page for instance:

The best in Canadian photojournalism. The News Photographers Association of Canada champions quality and ethical news, sports and documentary photography.

And I click on "2 comments", it only sends me to the bottom of the page and doesn't show any comments. If you want I can take a screenshot.

I noticed the url changed to http://npac.ca/2010/content.php/118-...-Week#comments , but it doesn't show any. This is under Opera browser.

Also, is there supposed to be more than one picture? I only see the one.

Well, this is worrying... But I guess it doesn't matter, today's the day, I can't wait to see the list of bugs, if enough have been fixed (specially my super annoying Opera bug that I've reported since RC1 ) I'll go ahead and install it =)

Comment

• Protoss
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Spearin

very nice design, however you are producing a database error.

Comment

• Spearin
                          • Dec 2009

Thanks for the feedback on bugs, keep in mind the software used is still RC4, so I expect some of the bugs to be fixed upon Gold release. I am hoping the database error when clicking the What's New? tab as a Guest will be solved with the final version.

There were some permissions variables I have now tweaked, allowing guests greater access to view the site. Still trying to find out why Guests can't view comments, they appear for members. Yes, there is only one picture even though it says is a gallery - it's actually just placeholder content.

Essentially the pre-release software is what you see and are using here. It's just a matter of making it into your own. All you need is Firebug and Search in Templates.
                          Last edited by Spearin; Mon 21 Dec '09, 10:09am.

Comment

• maidos
                            • Jul 2006

imo, no!
                            Before IB bought jelsoft, devs didnt really give a release date on gold version and instead they are jusst releasing when they think its stable. What i think it was bad move by IB was that they gave a release date for the gold versionb because theres no gurantee that script will be bugfree or less buggy since new bugs surface everyday. If we see for today, a bug report might surfacce and is a huge one that requires alteration on several scripts which can take hours or days. So giving a release date and got tons of bug report at once will just stress the programmers to keep it in schedule and could do a sloppy work? and if you delay the release date you could piss some customers off like you see with sony ericsson. You could lose some credibility there

So what if devs fixed xxx bugs does it really justify to skip over thje next phase(rc2 -->rc4) based on numbers of bugs youve fixed. Maybe you should focus on making the script generate less bugs before going to the next phase?
                            Last edited by maidos; Mon 21 Dec '09, 10:44am.

Comment

• vivamexico55
                              • Mar 2005

I guess it wasn't ready n_n

I've ran across like 10 bad bugs in just a few hours of installation, they're mostly in the CMS and not deal-breakers, but it's very unpolished. Still, it's interesting to play with. =)

If you have time please support this one because it's the one that annoys me the most, and it's in the forum and I've reported it for ages: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=33421

Comment

• Robert222
                                • Dec 2009

Great i've just put in for a professional installation of vb4 gold and there's bugs!!

How are these bugs fixed? Are they fixible from vb's end? Or do we as site owners need to fix them ourselves by installing patches?

Originally posted by vivamexico55
                                I guess it wasn't ready n_n

I've ran across like 10 bad bugs in just a few hours of installation, they're mostly in the CMS and not deal-breakers, but it's very unpolished. Still, it's interesting to play with. =)

If you have time please support this one because it's the one that annoys me the most, and it's in the forum and I've reported it for ages: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=33421

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...