Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gasakit
    • Nov 2008

@Who thinks it isn't ready

vBulletin already announce from the beginning that they will add new feature, it's CMS. So there will be CMS, Forum and Blog. Next, the target is to make it's stable. So if it's already stable, what the other reason to say it's isn't ready?

If vBulletin has to follow all of yours suggestion, like the style, this feature, that feture, and bla bla bla... Even until the end of the world has come, it will be not ready! So please think it again, be wise!

Comment

• cbiweb
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.1.x

The problem is there are some very fundamental things that still don't work. Search, for example, is crippled. There are other things wrong too, that really should be working even in the first iteration of a major release.
      ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• ahheng
        • Nov 2009

Today is the release date of vb4 gold!
        Last edited by ahheng; Sun 20 Dec '09, 3:08pm.

Comment

• Shamil.
          • Feb 2008
          • 4.2.X

Yes, 13 minutes into the day, it's not even Monday CA time.
          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
          vBulletin Hosting and Services
          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• miner
            • Jun 2005
            • 4.2.X

Voted NO!!

Comment

• Sean James
              • Apr 2004

Keep checking these forums every 1 hour hehe, i wonder if vb4 will go gold today..
              Bluepearl Skins - vBulletin 4 & 5 Skins

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                • Apr 2009

I'm estimating about 20 hours from now, based off all the previous beta release times.

Comment

• bigwater
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by gasakit
                  So if it's already stable, what the other reason to say it's isn't ready?
                  Just depends on what your target is I guess. As far as usability? It's very nice. Search engines won't get past the first page though without giving up and going elsewhere.

As of 1:09 AM GMT-5 on gold release day, there are still 199 CSS errors and 939 warnings on the /forum home page. That's just the forum home page. If you don't care that your site is not going to be indexed by the bots for search engine rankings, then by all means go ahead and use it. It's perfectly workable software from a human user standpoint.
                  Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• Justin Burgen
                    • Dec 2009

I honestly think it is ready, as long as the creators can fix all the errors in the next 20 hours for its big release..

Comment

• smirkley
                      • Feb 2008

I think, after the integration of the bug fixes not currently in RC5, it should be stable 'enough', pending any show stopping bugs rising.

Nobody, not anyone, should or can expect a perfect bug-free product in the first release of gold.

I expect a flurry of patches and/or rev upgrades within the next few months, along with some feature enhancements added, but that isnt show stopping.

Instead, lets get this show on the road and release with full support, the product as it is as they have described, with followup patch releases to improve the gold product.

I am ready and I vote the product ready-enough.

Comment

• markwein
                        • Feb 2009

this is definitely making me rethink upgrading this week....
                        MWGLforums.com - Free Video Guitar Lessons and more!

Comment

• vivamexico55
                          • Mar 2005

Well, today's the day! Can't wait to see the list of fixed bugs!

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by bigwater
                            Just depends on what your target is I guess. As far as usability? It's very nice. Search engines won't get past the first page though without giving up and going elsewhere.

As of 1:09 AM GMT-5 on gold release day, there are still 199 CSS errors and 939 warnings on the /forum home page. That's just the forum home page. If you don't care that your site is not going to be indexed by the bots for search engine rankings, then by all means go ahead and use it. It's perfectly workable software from a human user standpoint.
                            Search engines are quite happy with tag soup actually. I doubt any of them actually attempt to parse a proper DOM anyway.

Comment

• radmoose
                              • Jul 2006
                              • 4.1.x

This poll has a high level of BOGUSness...

vb 4.0.0 RC4 is not ready to be released as "GOLD" but based upon past experience, vBulletin doesn't just change the version when going GOLD. There is always changes between the last RC and GOLD. I have high hopes for GOLD to be a much better release than RC4 as far as the FORUM is concerned. (I do wish they would put out more BETAs then RCs to get it closed to a valid release. I feel that they announced a date and then are being forced to put it in play.)

As far as BLOGS, I don't see them being at the level they need to be, but that is more from an integration standpoint with FORUMS and I haven't used them extensively yet.

Regarding the CMS, for RC4, it definitely is not ready for prime time. So, while I wish they would blow me away and release something much more robust for v4.0.0. GOLD, I don't expect it. It almost makes me wonder if vBAdvanced is going to have a CMS compatible with the FORUM only version of vBulletin 4.x.

I am going to put GOLD into a live production environment when it is released but again, mainly for the FORUM only. Not BLOGS or any complex CMS stuff just yet.
                              R. Moose
                              vBulletin 4.1.x Suite

Comment

• bigwater
                                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Darkimmortal
                                Search engines are quite happy with tag soup actually. I doubt any of them actually attempt to parse a proper DOM anyway.
                                Once a spider hits a hundred or so errors on a site, it just gives up and goes away. It doesn't bother to try to index it further. I think this has already been discussed on this board, but if not, download the Lynx text based browser and take a look at the vBulletin home page. That's exactly what the spiders are going to see as of right now. Ask yourself, if you were looking for content, would you go any further? The spiders won't. The authors of the spiders won't let them.
                                Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...