Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbiweb
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.1.x

No, and don't need to say why. A lot of previous posts say it.

I do have confidence in the future of the product and the company and all that stuff, but this isn't quite ready for Gold. Not that it matters what I/we think, but that's my input.
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• the geek
      • Jun 2003
      • 1.1.x

Based on the last release (RC4) then I would say 'most likely not'. Forums, maybe. But lets face it, there is really minimal difference between 3.8x and 4.x forums. But the CMS is horrendous right now.

Statements like

It's stable, there's a few little things like CMS queries being rather high at the moment
      Skew reality. Feature set aside, saying that its stable apart from little issue of 200+ queries per page is freaking crazy. If not resolved for gold, I am fairly confident that the CMS would bring my server to its knees. That isn't a 'little thing' considering I have a dedicated server nor is it an issue I was really worried about when 3.0 was going gold.

Saying that, maybe they have been working like dogs and have those issues ironed out. If so, the devs deserve a serious bonus and I should eat this post.

With ketchup.
      My Twitterings

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by the geek
        Based on the last release (RC4) then I would say 'most likely not'. Forums, maybe. But lets face it, there is really minimal difference between 3.8x and 4.x forums. But the CMS is horrendous right now.

Statements like

Skew reality. Feature set aside, saying that its stable apart from little issue of 200+ queries per page is freaking crazy. If not resolved for gold, I am fairly confident that the CMS would bring my server to its knees. That isn't a 'little thing' considering I have a dedicated server nor is it an issue I was really worried about when 3.0 was going gold.

Saying that, maybe they have been working like dogs and have those issues ironed out. If so, the devs deserve a serious bonus and I should eat this post.

With ketchup.
        Well, they did say they had three devs working on the query issue. I fully expect that to be sorted for Gold, otherwise I agree it's a major issue with the CMS.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• gasakit
          • Nov 2008

Why not?

Comment

• moelski
            • Nov 2009
            • 3.8.x

No I don´t think it´s ready.
            I can´t imagine why the CMS don´t support multilanguage (articles in different languages based on the board language selection).
            The world is not completely english ....

Picture alignment won´t work correctly ...

And I can´t understand the speed the bring betas and RCs. Hopefully the release is getting better ....

Comment

• Removed-836727
              Banned by User Request
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
              I voted yes because it's only some small problems they need to fix. I noticed reading some of these comments that some people who have voted No actually don't like the new style of vB.
              It's not because i don't like it, it's because it doesn't work.
              I have to use sometimes kmeleon as my brwoser and it's horrible!
              You can't do anything in the forum, because the style screwed up
              Last edited by Removed-836727; Sun 20 Dec '09, 12:54am.

Comment

• soundpunk
                • Dec 2009
                • 3.8.x

Ill say no .. Iv had a few issues, although im about to migrate a descent sized SMF community across to VB, I really dont want to run into problems, id be much happier waiting for it to be right than to go ahead with something thats potentially going to have me pulling my hair out.

The CMS is ok , a bit more flexibility would be good .. I think the default style is quite nice , although i never use default styles at least its a great starting point for CSS.

I always have found the archaic looking adminCP frustrating .. I really wish they would overhaul it to match the front end.

Eitherway , iv just forked out for a brand new license , so im really hoping it lives up to my expectations .. I chose VB over IP , even though I liked the look of IP better , purely on reputation really .. most of the big forums I use run on VB , so that was enough to hand my money over for now ..

Dont release until its ready guys .. You've built a great piece of software , dont taint it by releasing it with bugs , take your time.

Comment

• Shamil.
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Ok, there are a few major issues with the forum and > showforum
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• minimock2000
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Well Ill add my opinion, which counts for nothing, same as the rest LOL. I voted yes. I have been using vbulletin for years and have set up MANY boards for clients, and have tested all the versions of 4.0 since release. They have a usable product in 4.0 RC4. Now I would like to point your attention to Microsoft. I tested Windows 7 from day one it was released as a RC candidate, and pre bought it also for the savings. Ask yourself one question....... How many updates have they sent down since it's "GOLD" release. The answer is ALOT. But in the end all this is irrelevant. You can either use it, or not. Its really just that simple

Comment

• Allan
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Nop for me.

More bugs everywhere ...
                      Administrator vBulletin-Ressources.com,
                      French vBulletin Resources.

Comment

• MooD977
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 3.8.x

probably

Comment

• smackLAN
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 3.8.x

I won't be using this release in a live environment anytime soon, nor will I even be attempting to convert styles for it anytime soon. Take this opinion for what it's worth or not coming from an Alpha tester Also, @ Mark B., I'm really curious as to what exactly you think is so "revolutionary" about 4.0?
                          RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

• RadioErewan
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 3.8.x

It is revolution needed to change number of the republic.

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by smackLAN
                              Also, @ Mark B., I'm really curious as to what exactly you think is so "revolutionary" about 4.0?
                              I didn't say it was.

Originally posted by Mark.B
                              Those who think it's not ready....how many of you were here for the 3.0.0 release? It was good...very good...arguably revolutionary....but it was pretty buggy.

I understand where vB is going with 4.0 and the evolutionary path it is taking.
                              I said 3.0.0 was revolutionary, whereas 4.0.0 is evolutionary.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------
                              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• smackLAN
                                • Mar 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                                I didn't say it was.

I said 3.0.0 was revolutionary, whereas 4.0.0 is evolutionary.
                                Ahh, my fault, sorry.
                                RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...