Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ragtek
    60 and 24/7
    its a joke or?
    An exaggeration for the sake of argument. To illustrate that no one knows whats going on behind the scenes. vb4 Gold could be as buggy as can be, while it could reasonably bug free. We don't know until its released.

IB would have received a wave of criticism if they would not release this year. Probably more than now.
    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• bookmarc
      • Dec 2007

one word

NO

in bold, caps and underlined... period

i am planning to wait at least till march / april before i convert to vb4.

Comment

• cheat-master30
        • Jun 2008
        • 3.8.x

No, but they're going to have to anyway. Why? Because while it's a buggy product and needs improvement in many ways, Internet Brands promised vBulletin 4 to the customers, and people are going to be nearly as mad if they delay the release as if they release a buggy product. It's pretty much going to be a bad situation by Monday regardless, although maybe it'll improve in the future.

Oh, and most problems seem to be the CMS. The rest is mainly minor issues and such.
        DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

• hamster0914
          • Jan 2006
          • 3.8.x

RC4 won't be the Gold release anyway, so what's the point of this?

Comment

• Grover
            • May 2001
            • 3.8.x

Kier Darby (here)

Originally posted by Kier Darby
            Dec 21 soon; wondering if sanity will prevail at vBulletin, pushing vB4 gold to January, or are Q4 promises to shareholders too important?
            How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• newbievb4
              • Dec 2009

IMO ,We should have more public RC releases so that people get to know if the bug they encountered with , is fixed or not.

Delaying Gold by few weeks and by that time releasing new RC's for public will be nice.

Comment

• Shamil.
                • Feb 2008
                • 4.2.X

Ok, there are a few fundamental things you are all missing here:

vBulletin Publishing Suite 4.0

or

vBulletin Forums Classic 4.0

Which one are we talking about here? "vB" is too much of a generic term. If we're talking of vB PS 4.0, then I think it isn't 100% ready for release, but we're getting closer to the target. I don't know about vB Classic Forums since I haven't used it yet.

It was stated earlier that there were 708 confirmed bugs, how many of them are for PS and/or Classic Forums?
                Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                vBulletin Hosting and Services
                Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Loco.M
                  • Mar 2005
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ungovernable
                  From what i read here....

No it's not.
                  Thanks for the link
                  I voted no
                  -- Web Developer for hire
                  ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• vauge
                    • Oct 2004
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by deuterium
                    vBulletin Publishing Suite 4.0

or

vBulletin Forums Classic 4.0

Which one are we talking about here?
                    Both, any, and all. It simply isn't ready,
                    ??

Comment

• vivamexico55
                      • Mar 2005

I voted "No", and the page didn't show me the poll results, it only reloaded and asked me to vote again n_n

No, I don't think vB is ready for the gold release yet, but it's coming anyway so let's go with the flow.

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by IDN
                        Nope, a very unfinished product being pushed out after a 2 year delay.

It's vB3 with a new style, a few new features, blog included and horrible CMS thrown in.
                        Horrible CMS?

I'll say that again....horrible CMS?

Potentially there's a couple of rough edges on it at the moment....but it's not "horrible". On the contrary, it's pretty darned brilliant.

If you're going to call it "horrible" at least try and justify you're opinions by telling why.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Those who think it's not ready....how many of you were here for the 3.0.0 release? It was good...very good...arguably revolutionary....but it was pretty buggy.

I understand where vB is going with 4.0 and the evolutionary path it is taking. Whilst it'll be a while before I can upgrade from 3.8.4, this is purely due to the heavy customisation on my site. If I could do it on Gold day, I would. The remaining bugs are fairly minor and I'm confident that what we will get at Gold will be well worth the money.

I am of no doubt as to the commitment of this company to the development of the product and the quality of the releases. If I did have any doubt, believe me I'd have moved to Invision. I am still here because I like what I see. The forum side of things is not 100% where it needs to be, but this is because the code needs to be refactored. That is part of the plan. I'm actually excited for future releases, I have not been able to say that since 3.5.
                          Last edited by Mark.B; Sat 19 Dec '09, 2:30pm.
                          MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• vivamexico55
                            • Mar 2005

Mark, that's a good point, it seems as if we believe "Gold" should be perfect, but as you say, it's more important to see what kind of commitment the developers of Vbulletin provide AFTER the product is released.

If we're talking about opinions, I still believe it's a bit rushed to Gold, but I hope they continue the rapid bug fixing after it's released.

My most annoying bug is still there, for me it's pretty essential in moderation =(

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by vivamexico55
                              Mark, that's a good point, it seems as if we believe "Gold" should be perfect, but as you say, it's more important to see what kind of commitment the developers of Vbulletin provide AFTER the product is released.

If we're talking about opinions, I still believe it's a bit rushed to Gold, but I hope they continue the rapid bug fixing after it's released.

My most annoying bug is still there, for me it's pretty essential in moderation =(

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=33421
                              I agree, bugs like that do need to be fixed.

However, I am 100% convinced of the direction of the company. Some are not, I can understand that. I was not for a while. But people talk of the previous management and how good it was...and I agree up to a point, but after 3.5 vB lost its way in a major way. I am delighted to see some of the things now being done. People say the new owners are after a fast buck, I know companies that buy smaller companies for a fast buck, indeed I have worked for some. I believe IB has a direction and they intend to make money out of vB but they realise that the way to do that is by providing a professional product people want to buy. I'm all for that and I like what I see.

Perfection is all very well, but I'd rather see some innovation, like we used to get up to 3.5. Now, I finally believe we are seeing that again.

Plus, the company do listen. Example: We mostly hated the new getnew page and wanted the original 3.x version back. They tweaked and played about with it, but we still hated it. So now we have the original back!
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------

Comment

• RadioErewan
                                • Feb 2008
                                • 3.8.x

I can not agree. A lot of bugs can be released with "gold" then fixed in maintenance releases. We have plenty of architectural flaws, just abandoned to release gold. And this is IMO showstoper for Gold.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...