Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sydney078
    • Nov 2001

A few ?'s

I am looking into options for a message board and I have a few questions about V?

#1- Can I run it on Road Runner, meaning, does anyone know if they allow it?

#2- How much does it actually cost with buying it, and running it on a domain, and then paying for bandwith? Seems rather expensive just paying for the license and the bandwith, yes I know domains are chaep, but not the other two

#3- How reliabe is V? How often are there problems?

#4- How often do you upgrade? I see you get free upgrades for a whole year, but what about after a year? You have to pay the full price again? Seems expensive once again
  • SaintDog
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.5.x

Well I can not answer the first, but I can help you out with the other 3 questions that you have. You have come to the right place for sure, this is a great bulletin board, if you decide to buy it, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

#1: Not answered

#2: The cost of vBulletin is $160 - This does not inlcude any hosting costs or anything. In order for it to run, you must have a host that has both PHP & MySQL. Choosing a host can sometimes be hard but it is all up to what you need.

Most boards that I know of do not hit above 60MB of space unless uploads and everything are made. So to be safe 100MB of space would be a good choice to go with. As for bandwidth, that all depeneds on how popular you think your board will be. If you are just starting out, and do not have any members, as safe amount of bandwidth would be around 3-5 GB's per/month.

I would suggest (this is not advertising) going over to www.remarkablehosting.com - they are hosting one of my boards (it is not up yet - just got the license) and everything has been great. They installed everything I needed, plus more - they truly are a great host with good deals.

#3: All bulletin boards have bugs, it is a known fact. Something is going to go wrong at some point somewhere. Although, vBulletin is the most reliable board I know of. I would not consider changing, I got vB, and with vB I will stay. I would say it is one of the most reliable.

#4: The cost is a one time fee of $160 if you purchase an owned license, this will give you the right to place once instance of the board on one domain, and give you unlimited updates for 1 year. After that one year is up you may purchase another/extra year for $30 (you do not have to pay the full price again ).

I hope this helps you out in making your decision, this is a great board, I think most people will agree with me on that also. You will not be sorry you got it.

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

I would not suggest trying to run it on RoadRunner. Even if you can run php scripts with a MySQL database, I have doubts as to how reliable they are.

Comment

• Steve_S
        • Aug 2000

Ditto to all.

#1: No you can't run a domain + vB on a residential account. The pro plan permits this but I still wouldn't do it for anything remotely related to mission critical. Get a T1 or a hosted account.

HTH
        Have a great day :)
        http://www.StopScum.com

Comment

• sydney078
          • Nov 2001

Ok- so it cost 160.00 jsut for the license and then more money out of the pocket to by a domain and then a hosting service??? Isnt that rather expensive?? Especially paying 160.00 just to use the board- which I guess would be ok if I didnt also then have to pay for a host to run it on and then a domain. What is the 85.00 option allow??

Can someone please give me some general prices that they are dishing out to run their boards??
          Last edited by sydney078; Tue 20 Nov '01, 5:18pm.

Comment

• chrispadfield
            • Aug 2000

have a look for options at www.hotscripts.com

you are going to need a webhost for whatever you are doing. You can get decent ones for $10 per month.

If you want the best forum software but vbulletin. If you don't mind not having as good features, reliability and support then you can try some of the other (and some are still quite good) alternatives out there.
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk
            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• c-prompt
              • Apr 2001

Originally posted by sydney078

Can someone please give me some general prices that they are dishing out to run their boards??
              I paid 9 dollars for my domain name for a year at godaddy.com
              I got hosting at f5hosting for 15.00 dollars a month.
              And I paid 85 dollars for a 1 year lease on vBulletin.

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

I pay $15 a year for my domain, $10 a month for hosting, and $85 for the license. So about $220 a year. That's just my one site, though. I have about 10 domains at $15 a year and another site that's hosted for $10 a month.

Yes it costs money to run a website but if you want to run one it's the tradeoff you make.

Comment

• Sinecure
                  • Jul 2001

I bought my domain from netsol.com for $85 for 2 years, and my hosting is $24.95 per month. The price of hosting goes up depending on how much space you require and the amount of transfer you use in a month. The reason my hosting is a little pricy is because I use a lot of bandwidth and I don't want to overshoot.
                  Board of the Month: November
                  Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
                  Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
                  vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

• LDT
                    • Nov 2001

$85 for the domain is a *little* on the expensive side...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...