Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blairwarlock
    • Nov 2001

Help: vBulletin vs UBB Threads

Looks like UBB finally realized the advantage of PHP and mySQL. Can you pls tell me the difference b/w vBulletin and the new UBB Threads?

UBB Threads allows you to EXPAND your posts, so you can view both the entire thread of multiple posts at the same time. Can vBulletin do that?

TIA!
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

vBulletin does not currently offer threaded view. If this is something you need we suggest you go with UBBThreads, as we simply don't offer it. We are looking at offering it in our next major version, due out in Q1 2002. However we feel that overall vBulletin has more features and allows the administrator greater control over everything. vBulletin has over 400 templates that allow you to customize everything the end user sees; you can even run custom PHP code without editing any PHP files.

Make sure you try out the administration demo at http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.html to get a feel for the backend.

Comment

• Kaizen
      • Aug 2001

Originally posted by tubedogg
      vBulletin does not currently offer threaded view. If this is something you need we suggest you go with UBBThreads, as we simply don't offer it. We are looking at offering it in our next major version, due out in Q1 2002. However we feel that overall vBulletin has more features and allows the administrator greater control over everything. vBulletin has over 400 templates that allow you to customize everything the end user sees; you can even run custom PHP code without editing any PHP files.

Make sure you try out the administration demo at http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.html to get a feel for the backend.
      Or put in 3 words : Vbulletin Rocks all !
      Email: [email protected]
      Site: Under Construction

Comment

• Broncos
        • Oct 2001

tube,

That is excellent news. I have been a long time WWWThreads user and chose that over vBulletin only due to threads. I recently purchased vBulletin to avoid the Infopoop situation thinking I'd have to live with a linear layout from now on. I'm glad they are going to incorporate threads in the future.
        http://www.softballfans.com
        The Ultimate Softball Community
        Forums, Bat/Equipment Reviews, Team Page Hosting and more!

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Broncos
          I'm glad they are going to incorporate threads in the future.
          Now, now, I didn't promise. But we are seriously looking at it. No promises.

Comment

• Broncos
            • Oct 2001

I'm still going to hold you to it
            http://www.softballfans.com
            The Ultimate Softball Community
            Forums, Bat/Equipment Reviews, Team Page Hosting and more!

Comment

• Marc Smith
              • Aug 2001
              • 3.6.x

So am I. It's not my preference, but I have a lot of users that 'feel more at home' with the alturnate view.

Comment

• Hooper
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.5.x

I much prefer linear vs. threaded view. I've had both. I don't see the need for vBulletin to have a threaded view. Maybe a choice between the view you would like to see, but linear makes a better layout.

Comment

• Marc Smith
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.6.x

> I don't see the need for vBulletin to have a threaded view.

As I said, threaded is not my preference either. I specifically left WWWBoard in June 1998 and took to UltimateBB because I wanted - and several users wanted (mainly for printout purposes) - a linear view.

But that does not address many users who see it otherwise. From this, yes - I can say I see a 'need' because I would like users to be able to choose. I would venture to say I'm not the only one who sees many people prefer a threaded view - or so it would seem considering even UltimateBB folks saw that 'need' (as I understand it, the UltimateBB folks absorbed and incorporated what was WWWThreads).

So - I'll keep pushin' for a threads view option.

Comment

• Hooper
                    • Apr 2001
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Marc Smith
                    >
                    So - I'll keep pushin' for a threads view option.
                    Ok.... Keep pushin....

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

If we implement a threaded view, it would be a user option so they could choose between threaded or linear.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Marc Smith
                        • Aug 2001
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by wluke
                        If we implement a threaded view, it would be a user option so they could choose between threaded or linear.
                        Which would be perfect.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...