This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lav0s
    • Sep 2005

for the way he pulled out the list of directories, he looks like simply found a pass of a reseller and then logged in via ftp and is checking files.

as a reseller they can even ask to know the domain of a person, open a ticket and get priority support or even more, some resellers are granted a direct phone line
    the dir structure is not exactly from a free web hosting, is from a cpanel host.
    so formally i think he got a hacked box and want to rip a license.

unless real proof that he is a reseller or a box owner, i will suggest everyone don't give him any extra answer
    if he wants to report he should do it via the normal ways.

p.s.
    As i think, the only file that he will have, is a filed complaint for privacy invasion

Comment

• ChopSuey
      • Apr 2009

Comment

• Eidolon
        • May 2009
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MattyAsia
        [/B]And the members are below 500, or it's not a very active forum, it's probably nulled.
        Ouch, my site is VERY quiet, people turn up to grab a download and fly off again, as I have re-started my site I have a tiny amount of members, by your definition I am most likely using nulled software, that's a harsh statement to make!

Comment

• RichM
          • Jan 2003
          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by umarsa
          Alright, lets go with your accusations. Im guessing that the key locks to a certain domain, IP and MAC address, so what use would they be to me?
          You come across as someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about. If you had any degree of knowledge in this specific field, you would instantly know that PHP scripts like this would not be assigned to MAC addresses.

You also come across as being rather immature, due to the amount of slang which you use regarding a matter which one would usually handle professionally. I would not be surprised if you're one of those reseller hosts.

You say that you have no access to their domains, which I find hard to believe given the fact that you would be running a domain name server too. (I'm not implying that you should not have access to this info however)

Like others have said, you have no real need to find out whether or not a license is legit. It would be irresponsible for vBulletin to disclose this information regarding licensed customers to a third party, such as yourself. However, you can rest assured that if they're not licensed, you (or your actual host) will eventually receive an email from vBulletin. (or rather, an agent acting on their behalf)

Here's what would happen if one of your clients were caught without a valid license:

1. They would receive an email asking them to remove all files related to vBulletin. Alternatively they will be asked to purchase a license
          2. If they fail to oblige and/or respond, the web host will be contacted and will be asked to take action
          3. If the web host fails to oblige and/or respond, their NOC (server provider) will be contacted and will be asked to take action
          - Your NOC will usually open an abuse ticket, demanding that you take action
          - If you do not take action within a given time period, the respective server will usually be powered off

As a general rule, you should assume that your clients are innocent until proven guilty. With that in mind, there's no need to chase them up unless you've been provided with information from a company such as vBulletin (or their agents), suggesting that one of your clients is running illegitimate software.

Rich
          Last edited by RichM; Thu 3 Dec '09, 6:48am.

Comment

• nforums
            Banned
            • Jun 2009
            • 3.8.x

Lol well i understand it seems a little crazy but i like to help out where i can.

When i said i had a list of all sites i meant i have them in the following format:

I dont have the URL for their sites, just the paths where they are installed. (found out by a search command)
            So not only are you trying to play internet police, but you're also to incompetent to find out the real URL's to these installs for your hosting company.

Yes please do share with us your hosting company.

Comment

• umarsa
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by alex902602
              He's probably running a reseller from myownfreehost.net or something.
              No i actually own a VPS.

Originally posted by lav0s
              for the way he pulled out the list of directories, he looks like simply found a pass of a reseller and then logged in via ftp and is checking files.

as a reseller they can even ask to know the domain of a person, open a ticket and get priority support or even more, some resellers are granted a direct phone line
              the dir structure is not exactly from a free web hosting, is from a cpanel host.
              so formally i think he got a hacked box and want to rip a license.

unless real proof that he is a reseller or a box owner, i will suggest everyone don't give him any extra answer
              if he wants to report he should do it via the normal ways.

p.s.
              As i think, the only file that he will have, is a filed complaint for privacy invasion
              I have not hacked anything, i have no idea how to hack so... Yes, we offer cPanel and what extra proof do you really need :s

I have reported them and have already caught a few of them, they have admitted that they were using a nulled license

Originally posted by nforums
              So not only are you trying to play internet police, but you're also to incompetent to find out the real URL's to these installs for your hosting company.

Yes please do share with us your hosting company.
              How am i imcompetent to find the real URL's? I have already reported them and i have taken my own action against them. I would say that i have done more than enough.

Oh and i own HostWoot if you must know.

In any case, i have got the answer that i was looking for. Thanks for all the help that people have provided.

Comment

• goyo
                • Dec 2002

Dear Umarsa,

Why don't You fill out a Support Ticket (instead of going public) if your question is affiliated with other users Privacy. I'm maybe getting old but it's pretty strange for me (even on a free host) that Sysadmin is looking at others files before he even received a complaint of any kind. I'm running several servers for 10+ years...I have never done anything like this.

If you're a PHP programmer - when you're not hunting your users - You could deal with the double footer error on your hosting forum...

Comment

• MattyAsia
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Eidolon
                  Ouch, my site is VERY quiet, people turn up to grab a download and fly off again, as I have re-started my site I have a tiny amount of members, by your definition I am most likely using nulled software, that's a harsh statement to make!
                  Just a guide, and you only quoted half, low members AND the copyright label gone, and then it may be and you can report it, as I said it's only a guide, and you still don't know, but all nulled version remove the copyright, and the majority of small site wont remove it, simply statistics.

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

Late to this party, and others have already said some good stuff.

Under DMCA Takedown policy, there is really no reason for you to be nosing around your customer's files.

Provide a clear way for people to contact you (usually [email protected]) in case a DMCA takedown (disabling someone's account for having an unpaid vBulletin) request comes in.

Comment

• ChopSuey
                      • Apr 2009

can try to go to, http://www.youthinkthissiteisnulled....ll/upgrade.php or http://www.youthinkthissiteisnulled....ll/upgrade.php

If nothing exists then yes you caught them!!

Comment

• ahheng
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by MattyAsia
                        If you really want to know, this will be true in most cases, go to the forum page, look at the bottom.
                        If it doesn't say Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.0 Beta 4 Copyright © 2009 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
                        And the members are below 500, or it's not a very active forum, it's probably nulled.
                        Then you can submit it to vbulletin, and they can check for sure.
                        In the end, all you can do is guess. Someone could in theory be using nulled software on a real license too, so you never know.
                        No, i dont think so. my forum is super inactive but is running with a license.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                          • Oct 2004
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ahheng
                          No, i dont think so. my forum is super inactive but is running with a license.

as is mine.

some people do purchase the branding free option. i will not do so this is just a hobby site and i need to keep cost low.

some sites that are legit still use 2.x.x and 3.x.x

i have just 1 member on my forums ATM, and that is me.

If my webhost had TOS like yours i wouldnt be with them. hell if my wenhost had TOS like yours i would be looking into just how legal that really is. i know hosts can legaly look for illegal sex content on sites but looking for nulled vB installs is just an abuse of power as is just parusing a users files. what if a user used the forums privatley for family renunion planning? i know some people who do this. others may have private info stored in their site as an extra backup incase their computer dies, i do this.

<devils_advocate> as much as your TOS stinks it really is up to the end user to fully read a hosts TOS before getting an account. with ANY host then go with them or not </devils_advocate>

that being said i would never have deleted or otherwise disabled everyones forums just to find a few nulled copies. like others have said just use the report piracery links on vb's site.

Comment

• Eqvaliser
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 1.1.x

Hello,

I run a webhost and have a list of all the accounts on my server using vB and i have access to all their files. I wanted to know how i could find out if they are using a real or nulled version, is there somewhere that stores something like a key?

Thanks.
                            Somehow im interested in hearing what company you work for or "own", and country.
                            ewen as a host, im sure your under somesort of data security and privacy law, in most vestern countryes atleast..

--- Im not pro piracy, but im 100% against snooping around in buisness where you shouldnt be.

Then there is the morale issue with this whole affair, pokeing around in your "costumers" files
                            regardless what information it is, about someones dog or plant. it is still spying/looking..
                            Any action to see files, "not intended" to be seen, is more or less illegal.

And if theres a nulled board running, and vbulletin piracy team confirms it, they will most likely
                            contact the host, in this case you.. and ask for a shutdown or something.

You are simply undermineing the trust your costumers have in you. i just hope these costumers are
                            able to get the information that you are systematicly going through their files.

you are out of line!
                            Vbulletin fan

Comment

• [RedL|ne]Raptor
                              • Dec 2009

WOW! a whole bunch of people who just feel the need to be jacka**es are replying to a thread without useful advice for no know reason, other than the need to be jacka**es.

Let me explain something to you. ANY host with their server in the USA has the RIGHT to make sure that all content on their site is legal. Just as stores have the right to search you if they suspect that you are shoplifting. Why? Because if something illicit is on the server, THE SERVER OWNER is held responsible. Thus, a good server owner will be active in making sure that his or her server contains only legal content.

Now, all umarsa did here was ask if there was any way to determine if a vBulletin installation was licensed or not. Someone gave him the answer, so all you little people who have no knowledge of what running a webhost it like should go home and think about why you are being such jacka**es.

No offence has been intended to those wonderful users have answered the question in the OP, instead of just spouting off about how its an invasion of privacy.

Comment

• umarsa
                                • Nov 2009

And if the datacenter found unlicensed software or got complaints which turned out to be true i would be viable to a fee. So as they say, better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...