Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malfurion
    • Oct 2005

Multiple Sites on one Vbulletin Publishing Suite

I know it's only allowed to have one website per vbulletin publishing suite license, but I was wondering is it possible to create various sub-sections on single installation with their own unique style, content and menu? This would create the impression of being on a different site. You know what I mean?

Another question is, can you install, reinstall the vbulletin licence an unlimited amount as a stand alone product, like it does not require constant authorization from the developer to use it? Except maybe the first time.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

That would be agasint the license agreement.

Comment

• Eqvaliser
      • Apr 2008
      • 1.1.x

Seen alot of gameing companies do that..

Use vbulletin as site forum, then each section for each game with each own style..

one major is EA
      When logged in through US site the forum layout and desiign varies from game to game, but its the same forum
      and link from battlefield sites link to same forum as links from lets say nfs sites..
      But the forum is places on ea.com

Well maybe if youre a big company like ea you can do what you want. (sarcasm)
      Vbulletin fan

Comment

• Malfurion
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Zachery
        That would be agasint the license agreement.
        Technically you'd still use only one vbulletin license and it is one website, but it looks like multiple sites cause of the different themes for different sections. Why wouldn't that be legal?

Comment

• sv1cec
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Malfurion
          Technically you'd still use only one vbulletin license and it is one website, but it looks like multiple sites cause of the different themes for different sections. Why wouldn't that be legal?

For the same reason vB is forcing you to buy at least once the new software, instead of allowing you to convert your existing license to an owned one. They are rip-off artists. I do not need 4.0. Why should I pay for it?
          John Caradimas

Comment

• Wsh
            • May 2004
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by sv1cec
            For the same reason vB is forcing you to buy at least once the new software, instead of allowing you to convert your existing license to an owned one. They are rip-off artists. I do not need 4.0. Why should I pay for it?
            Not sure why people find this surprising If you've ever owned a legitimate copy of the Adobe Suite or even Autodesk Suite you'd know that every year a new version with new features comes out, and just like vB you're not 'forced' to use the latest version but it does help.

It's called a business, not a buffet line.
            Lloyd

Comment

• sv1cec
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Wsh
              Not sure why people find this surprising If you've ever owned a legitimate copy of the Adobe Suite or even Autodesk Suite you'd know that every year a new version with new features comes out, and just like vB you're not 'forced' to use the latest version but it does help.

It's called a business, not a buffet line.
              Why I find it surprising? Because I do not need their new software. I am perfectly happy with what I have. Why should I buy their new one? In the past, vB allowed you (for a fee) to convert your license from leased to owned. From the moment they announced vB 4.0 that option was no longer offered. So while you have a valid leased license now, and you are allowed to download vB 4.0 whenever it is released, that license expires when your old license expires. At that time you have to purchase a new license, which allows you to use the software (whatever software you decide to use, old or new) indefinitely.

Why should I pay them for something I do not need nor want to use? Why can't I just pay them a fee, which would allow me to use the existing software for ever, like I could do before the announcement of vB 4.0?

If you call that business, so be it. Personally, I call it rip-off.
              John Caradimas

Comment

• Tla
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Eqvaliser
                Seen alot of gameing companies do that..

Use vbulletin as site forum, then each section for each game with each own style..

one major is EA
                When logged in through US site the forum layout and desiign varies from game to game, but its the same forum
                and link from battlefield sites link to same forum as links from lets say nfs sites..
                But the forum is places on ea.com

Well maybe if youre a big company like ea you can do what you want. (sarcasm)
                Or maybe a big company like EA can afford several licenses?

Comment

• Ace
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Malfurion
                  Because it has been since the beginning. You could probably do what you are asking if all content was visible on all subdomains, the loophole of 'it has different styles and forums visible, but its still the same site' was plugged long ago.
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• quackers
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by sv1cec
                    Why can't I just pay them a fee, which would allow me to use the existing software for ever, like I could do before the announcement of vB 4.0?
                    This cannot be true can it?

If I buy my VB4 'branding free' option today, I will never have to pay VB again unless I want support...this is what i believ so am I wrong??

I thought that if I buy once, I don't have to pay ever again unless I want support. Can a VB member of staff confirm this for me

Comment

• Tla
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by quackers
                      This cannot be true can it?

If I buy my VB4 'branding free' option today, I will never have to pay VB again unless I want support...this is what i believ so am I wrong??

I thought that if I buy once, I don't have to pay ever again unless I want support. Can a VB member of staff confirm this for me
                      His post isn't relevant to your issue.

If you upgrade your previous license, or buy a new one then you will get VB4 and all upgrades in VB4, when VB5 is then released you'll have to upgrade again to get the newest version, but you can choose not to and still use VB4, the branding free option is an additional fee to get a license that enables you to remove the vbulletin branding from the site.

Comment

• quackers
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Cheers for that, I take it that there will still be improvements to VB4 such as VB4.1....4.2 etc so I will get all relevant improvements if they are released?

Comment

• Tla
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by quackers
                          Cheers for that, I take it that there will still be improvements to VB4 such as VB4.1....4.2 etc so I will get all relevant improvements if they are released?
                          Yep.

Comment

• Malfurion
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ace
                            Because it has been since the beginning. You could probably do what you are asking if all content was visible on all subdomains, the loophole of 'it has different styles and forums visible, but its still the same site' was plugged long ago.
                            Okay, what if you only want to use one forum area for multiple websites that are powered by the publishing suite, how do you do that?

Comment

• MattyAsia
                              • Aug 2009

From what I understand:
                              • having the theme/style different on different parts of the forums is not a problem.
                              • having parts of the site hidden if you look at the site from different addresses is a problem.

Short:
                              • If the only difference in places is the style/theme, it's fine.
                              • If the actual post/categories/forums are different, this is a problem.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...