Can I continue to run v3.8 after purchasing a v4 license?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hieronymous
    • Dec 2007
    • 3.6.x

Can I continue to run v3.8 after purchasing a v4 license?

i'm still a little confused

my current license runs out on 3rd december

i've already established (although no "official" response from anyone) that v4 doesn't provide a facility that my site depends on (thumbnails on list screens), and which i currently have implemented via an add-in

my site's working fine, and if v4 doesn't give me any advantages, and if it will still be buggy, the add-ins won't work, and neither will the existing skin - then i see no particular advantage to me or my members in upgrading. apart from anything else, it will almost certainly involve a lot of faff, and i've never been a big fan of unnecessary faff

BUT... i guess i need to upgrade my license

soooo... today's question is: can i upgrade my license to v4, but continue to happily run v3.8?

i'm sure the answer must be "yes", but i'd like some confirmation please, as i don't want to suddenly find that i can't run my site, because i've violated some obscure jellysoft commandment or other
    Last edited by hieronymous; Sun 8 Nov '09, 11:12pm.
  • sweede
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by hieronymous
    i'm still a little confused

my current license runs out on 3rd december

i've already established (although no "official" response from anyone) that v4 doesn't provide a facility that my site depends on (thumbnails on list screens), and which i currently have implemented via an add-in

my site's working fine, and if v4 doesn't give me any advantages, and if it will still be buggy, the add-ins won't work, and neither will the existing skin - then i see no particular advantage to me or my members in upgrading. apart from anything else, it will almost certainly involve a lot of faff, and i've never been a big fan of unnecessary faff

BUT... i guess i need to upgrade my license

soooo... today's question is: can i upgrade my license to v4, but continue to happily run v3.8?

i'm sure the answer must be "yes", but i'd like some confirmation please, as i don't want to suddenly find that i can't run my site, because i've violated some obscure jellysoft commandment or other
    If you have a valid license you should be able to submit a ticket to sales/billing.

Comment

• hieronymous
      • Dec 2007
      • 3.6.x

seemed like a question whose answer might be of interest to other people in a similar position, but yeah, i've got a valid license, so i've asked the question via the ticket system too

Comment

• Dismounted
        • Sep 2006

Yes. You will still have access to and be able to run older versions of vBulletin forever. However, understand that vBulletin 3.8 will only be supported until vBulletin 4.2 is released.

Comment

• hieronymous
          • Dec 2007
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dismounted
          Yes. You will still have access to and be able to run older versions of vBulletin forever. However, understand that vBulletin 3.8 will only be supported until vBulletin 4.2 is released.
          i'm cool with that

i don't intend running 3.8 forever. i may convert to v4 at some future point, or go to some other software than vbulletin, or the forum may just die anyway (it's already been running for 2 or 3 years, a lifetime on the internets)

what i didn't want to do was to purchase a v4 license and then discover that, because the conditions had changed radically to one-time use only, it didn't cover the situation where a user consciously decided not to upgrade the software but wanted to instead continue running v3.8

thanks for the reply to make the situation clear

Comment

• sportsfi
            • Oct 2008
            • 3.8.x

You should be fine with it all as dismounted said earlier you can buy the new license and use the old software so to speak.

Best of luck with the forums it's been there for 2 to 3 years hopefully it will be there for alot longer.

Comment

• hieronymous
              • Dec 2007
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by sportsfi
              You should be fine with it all as dismounted said earlier you can buy the new license and use the old software so to speak.

Best of luck with the forums it's been there for 2 to 3 years hopefully it will be there for alot longer.
              thanks for that. it's not a massive site, about 4000 members, but (like most people who run forums, i'd guess) it's my baby, and i try and do what's best for it

anyhoo, i've gone off and purchased a new v4 license now. a bit disappointed not to find Amex as one of the payment options though. i had my Visa card hacked quite recently, and i've only just sorted the mess out, so am a little nervious about using it

Comment

• sportsfi
                • Oct 2008
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by hieronymous
                thanks for that. it's not a massive site, about 4000 members, but (like most people who run forums, i'd guess) it's my baby, and i try and do what's best for it

anyhoo, i've gone off and purchased a new v4 license now. a bit disappointed not to find Amex as one of the payment options though. i had my Visa card hacked quite recently, and i've only just sorted the mess out, so am a little nervious about using it
                I know exactly how you feel. As mentioned above best of luck with it and hopefully as time ticks by vB4.x will be worth the money we have all outlayed for it. They are definately heading in the right direction.

Comment

• knightdreams
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 3.8.x

If your lic is a leased lic then you will need to purchase the forum only upgrade in order to keep running your 3.8 forever, if your 3.8 lic is an owned lic already you do not need to purchase anything and can already run your 3.8 forever.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...