• Show
Clear All
  • Aeolian
    • Mar 2004
    • 4.2.X

CMS category style

ok i am on board of vbcms as of now!

a quick question, which is a needed feature for our site
    are we able to have different styles for different categories in cms?
    this is needed to highlight the content or to fit with the category theme

possible? plausible? impossible?

cheers
  • lifeunbox
    • Nov 2009

yes.

Comment

• Edwin Brown
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2009
      • 5.5.x

NO! and Yes. (Maybe I should have said YES! and no.) It's the wrong question.

Sections have styles. Categories don't. Sections inherit styles (and layouts, which are also important) from their parent, so if you want everything to have the same style just assign it at the root and it will cascade down. Or leave everything at "default" and everything will have the default.

Categories belong to sections. When you see a category list you get the style of section to which it belongs. That means you can put three categories in section A and they get that style (and layout), and three different categories in style B and they get that style (and layout).

So if you want two categories to have different styles they have to belong to different sections.

Just a bit more information. There are three different types of list pages- category, author, and section. Sections have a style. Categories inherit from the section to which they belong. Author lists don't have a section so they get the "home" section. The lists get a different master template which gives you some additional flexibility.

Sorry if it sounds complex. It's not really. All you have to really remember is that only sections have styles and layouts in CMS.
      Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...