X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheChaosFactor
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

When is 5.0 expected?

It was said by somebody that a savings or break even point would never be reached with 4.0 when I said that a break even point on the $130 pre-sale was 3 years(based on $40/yr renewal fees... and yes I know it still falls $10 short...). Is 5.0 to be expected in less than 2 years? I mean as far as I can tell(and I admit I haven't watched closely), one of the forums I frequent has been running 3.x for almost 4 years... or did I really miss something major?

I'd just like to know that I'm not depending on something to be valid for 3-4 years when it will really only be valid for two...
  • Dismounted
    • Sep 2006

Ray Morgan has said that we would be "knocking on the door" of vBulletin 5 in 2 years. So this means at least 2 years between versions.

Comment

• Eidolon
      • May 2009
      • 3.8.x

I seem to recall mention of 18 Months, that worried me a bit, I could be wrong of course.

Comment

• boro_boy
        • Dec 2002
        • 3.8.x

its basically when they want more money from us, they will release a new version.
        My Football Forum

Comment

• JVCode
          • Oct 2006
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by boro_boy
          its basically when they want more money from us, they will release a new version.
          Well it would need to be to a substantial overhaul over the vB4.* series, otherwise customers aren't going to budge.
          Xbox Fan-site: www.XboxCommunity.net

Xbox 360 Achievements: www.x360achievements.com

Comment

• ChopSuey
            • Apr 2009

lol....Your a funny guy. Probably right

Comment

• nexialys
              • May 2004
              • 1.1.x

you can say the same from Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, Bungie, Nintendo, Cisco, Ubisoft, etc...

why people bring that pointless comment all the time?

it is clear from the begining that 4.x is a bridge between the old technology and a newer one that will be 5.0 ... each version of 4.x will be a change in structure and code, and 5.0 will be a new generation that they can not avoid... we could not jump from 3.8 to 5.0 because it would take 3 years to do so... and people want more, so IB answer this request the way they can... if people would be less requesting, there would be more solid situations and no random versions. *(so with that logic, it's your fault.)
              oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• taffy056
                • Sep 2004

More important I think than going from ver 4.0 to the new ver 5.0, is how long will the support be there for ver 4.0, currently 3.8.x is going to be supported until ver 4.2, can we expect the same for ver 4.0 when the new version reaches 5.2 ?
                Free Kick
                https://apps.facebook.com/freekick-net/forums.php

Comment

• slinky
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Dismounted
                  Ray Morgan has said that we would be "knocking on the door" of vBulletin 5 in 2 years. So this means at least 2 years between versions.
                  There is no guarantee of anything. Most accurate would be to day that Ray Morgan has given no official date when vBulletin 5 will be released. It could be 2 years or it could be the upcoming July. It's their decision.
                  My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• dutchbb
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 3.8.x

Ray repeatedly said two years, he wouldn't say that so often if he wasn't sure, besides, they could probably not even get it ready sooner than that.

Comment

• slinky
                      • Mar 2001
                      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by nexialys
                      you can say the same from Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, Bungie, Nintendo, Cisco, Ubisoft, etc...

Here's what I notice about all of the above companies.

- All of the above don't charge 90% of the cost of a new version to upgrade as an existing customer
                      - All of the above will provide emails to prior notify customers of important upgrade options and pricing
                      - None of the above changed their licensing models overnight without prior notice to the customer

Just an observation.

Comment

• centris
                        • Jun 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dutchbb
                        Ray repeatedly said two years, he wouldn't say that so often if he wasn't sure, besides, they could probably not even get it ready sooner than that.
                        I think for many the reality is starting to dawn on them, two years under the old system = $80

Comment

• slinky
                          • Mar 2001
                          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by dutchbb
                          It doesn't matter what is possible or what you might think is probable because of repitition. How many times was it said when vBulletin 4 was anticipated to be released? And now what date has been given for release?

What is version 5? As others have stated, it's a number assigned to what a company will call a major upgrade.What that consists of is solely within the company's decision making capacity, whether or not you think version 5 should be version 4.2 or version 6.

Comment

• ricerice
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

vb 4 will destroy any need for any future versions

Comment

• shohin
                              • Oct 2007
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by nexialys

Might possibly be because it's true.
                              Anyway, I thought it was rather funny.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...