Clear All
  • slinky
    • Mar 2001
    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by icarusforde
    It seems rather heated in here...

*hands around refreshments and cookies*

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
    With an issue like this... it's expected.....
    Yes, especially when you wake up one day in the middle of a global economic meltdown and you find out that you are given two weeks of pre-sale to cough up what may be over $1,000 instead of $40 per license as needed. After this hold-up, there is no money in wallet to purchase milk and cookies nor the stomach to eat and enjoy them.
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Originally posted by IndyWebDesign
      This sucks... Now I have to pay more for a version license that I did for my lifetime ones.
      Pretty much my thoughts also when I looked at renewing my Owned License just to get my hands on the last vBulletin 3.7 release version. I decided after seeing the cost to not do it.

Comment

• Mike Anime
        • Oct 2004
        • 3.7.x

funny they never had LIFETIME licences just Leased or Owned licences. the 40.00 or 60.00 per year was for download access for a year.

it is also funny how many people never check their email out to learn they could have payed 130.00 per licence.

yes the two week sale for 130.00 sux but at least they still have discounts.

Slinky where did you get that $1,000.00 from ?

Comment

• slinky
          • Mar 2001
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Mike Anime
          funny they never had LIFETIME licences just Leased or Owned licences. the 40.00 or 60.00 per year was for download access for a year.
          it is also funny how many people never check their email out to learn they could have payed 130.00 per licence.
          yes the two week sale for 130.00 sux but at least they still have discounts.
          Slinky where did you get that $1,000.00 from ?
          The lifetime/owned issue is all wordsmithing. Lifetime, perpetual, indefinite, call it whatever you will, means roughly the same thing. You can do the same with your version 4 license too.

You are incorrect - we could not all pay $130 per license. Like numerous others I read the e-mail and it said that every "active license" had that offer. Yet when we got there we were told that even if you had an "active license" if your maintenance subscription was not active, they would not allow you to pay $40 to renew your maintenance AND the cost of this upgrade was $190, not $130. And why should I have to pay $130 just to stick with vB 3 and get the remaining few updates?

$1,000 is right about the cost if you own 5 licenses. Imagine how bad this has been for people who own 10 or more licenses.
          My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• FreshFroot_
            • Jul 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by slinky
            The lifetime/owned issue is all wordsmithing. Lifetime, perpetual, indefinite, call it whatever you will, means roughly the same thing. You can do the same with your version 4 license too.

You are incorrect - we could not all pay $130 per license. Like numerous others I read the e-mail and it said that every "active license" had that offer. Yet when we got there we were told that even if you had an "active license" if your maintenance subscription was not active, they would not allow you to pay $40 to renew your maintenance AND the cost of this upgrade was $190, not $130. And why should I have to pay $130 just to stick with vB 3 and get the remaining few updates?

$1,000 is right about the cost if you own 5 licenses. Imagine how bad this has been for people who own 10 or more licenses.
            I am in the same boat.. and IB provided no help for multiple license owners... no offense to the rest.. but customers like "US".. MADE vB last... Without us, vB would be a little smaller and with less cash.

Comment

• glassic
              • Mar 2009
              • 3.8.x

Like I said, I know nothing about this kind of stuff......you may ask then why am I running a website, well cuz our group needed one. Had some people who were going to help me that had knowledge alas they lost their internet due to loss of jobs etc. So here I am stuck.

I have been reading and reading, not understanding clearly ...... so what 4.0 would do for our site I have not a clue. See if I have this right where I stand now with five pages opened with info.

As of March there will be no more updates to 3.8.x on my owned license and I can run that program forever without upgrading, but could become vunerable as no more updates will be offer to protect it from ciberspace idiots that like to mess with sites (security and maintenance releases)?

To get 4.0 will be $195 on the page I pulled up clicking Renewal/purchase. At the bottom it has upgrades with pricing at $160 PSuite and $175 for forum? I am assuming I qualify for the reduced prices because of my owned license and just click upgrade?

Will there be a $40 renewal fee on that each year for updates etc.? Well until a 5.0 comes out and we go through this all again?

I am totally out of my element here! I am not a techie........Please bare with me. I do recall getting an email, however didn't understand all this other stuff was part of it so coming in late to the game of no more licenses, updates etc.

Comment

• Morning Glory
                • Jun 2005
                • 3.6.x

I don't want any upgrades. I just want to be able to download products from vbulletin.org.

I wish we could renew without upgrades for the $40.00 so we can have access to vbulletin.org and the rest of the upgrades and patches for 3.x.

I don't think we should be forced into an upgrade to have access to what we already purchased with owned licenses.

Comment

• g0rdy
                  • Oct 2003
                  • 3.6.x

After this hold-up, there is no money in wallet to purchase milk and cookies nor the stomach to eat and enjoy them.
                  same here, not pleased at all

Comment

• Mike Anime
                    • Oct 2004
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Morning Glory
                    I don't want any upgrades. I just want to be able to download products from vbulletin.org.

I wish we could renew without upgrades for the $40.00 so we can have access to vbulletin.org and the rest of the upgrades and patches for 3.x.

I don't think we should be forced into an upgrade to have access to what we already purchased with owned licenses.

the 40.00/60.00 was for upgrade access for a year not a bad deal if you didnt want to upgrade for a while you didnt have to.

now we pay everything upfront not really a bad deal i know other boards cost more

i know many people hate the new pricing but adding yet another thread about it talk about overkill

Comment

• itsIAN
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 3.8.x

Many people are upset with the new pricing structure. Many people have complained. Whatever you're unhappy with is probably already set in stone. Asking questions that have already been answered is one thing. Complaining, however, is just stupid. vBulletin isn't free software. The company has to make a profit somewhere. Either hand over the money and use the product to best fit your needs or move somewhere else.

I personally have moved to another software provider. I was unhappy with the new policies, I had researched things for weeks, but I had accepted that vBulletin wasn't going to change things just for me. You should do the same. If vBulletin has done anything, it's been the fact that they have informed us of the changes way in advance.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• Ian99
                        • Jun 2005

How long is the $160 on for?

Comment

• Ian99
                          • Jun 2005

where does it say that?

Comment

• sportsfi
                            • Oct 2008
                            • 3.8.x

Yes, especially when you wake up one day in the middle of a global economic meltdown and you find out that you are given two weeks of pre-sale to cough up what may be over $1,000 instead of $40 per license as needed. After this hold-up, there is no money in wallet to purchase milk and cookies nor the stomach to eat and enjoy them.
                            To be fair and honest the pre-sale has actually been going on for well over a month now and it seems time vBulletin ended it.

Comment

• Dec 2009

Originally posted by Ian99
                              where does it say that?

it is a pre-sale offer
                              as always

Comment

• Carnage-
                                • Jan 2005
                                • 3.8.x

presumably there will be a pre-sale offer of some form on untill vb 4 goes gold.
                                Some of my Mods:
                                Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                                Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                                Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
                                Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...