X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IndyWebDesign
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

I feel screwed by these new licences...

I have two lifetime licenses and got notice today that one was to expire in 30 days. So I come here to renew and find out that my "LIFETIME" license is now a limited license. How can you guys legally change the terms of the word lifetime?

This sucks... Now I have to pay more for a version license that I did for my lifetime ones.
  • cellarius
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Your license is still a lifetime license. You can use the version you have as long as you wish.

Comment

• IndyWebDesign
      • Mar 2004
      • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by cellarius
      Your license is still a lifetime license. You can use the version you have as long as you wish.
      ya, ya but that's bull crap if you are one who likes to keep current.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

We've never sold a lifetime license. You may have purchased an Owned License but they were never legally referred to as a Lifetime license.

If you upgrade to the Suite for $160 per license, you won't have to pay anything else until vBulletin 5.0 comes out and you decide to upgrade to that. We are not doing annual renewals anymore. You pay for the major version. The Suite also includes our blog and CMS addons so you can use those to expand your websites.

If you are happy with your current version, you don't have to purchase anything. You can continue using it and receive support until it is end-of-lifed.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• IndyWebDesign
          • Mar 2004
          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Ok I'm completly confused... on the main vb.com page it says the vb 4.0 classic is a free upgrade. I click on that logo and it says it is $195. Once I log in it says this below that. "vBulletin 4.0 Forums - $175 (Coming Soon !)"

So damn it, which one is it?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

If your license is active, you'll be able to download vBulletin 4.0 when it is released. You don't need to pay anything or go through the cart.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Darkimmortal
              • Apr 2009

You can get:

• vBulletin 4 Suite upgrade with lifetime updates until vB5 for $160 while the offer lasts (best option).
              • vBulletin 4 Suite upgrade with lifetime updates until vB5 for $250 after the offer expires.
              • vBulletin 4 Forum-only with upgrades until your current license expires for free.
              • vBulletin 4 Forum-only with lifetime updates until vB5 for $175(?) after the offer expires.

Or you can stay with your current version indefinitely for free.

Comment

• IndyWebDesign
                • Mar 2004
                • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                We've never sold a lifetime license. You may have purchased an Owned License but they were never legally referred to as a Lifetime license.

Yes, they were because that is why my oldest license code starts with a big fat "L" which indicated a Lifetime license. This is what confused me because when I got the expire notice today I noticed that my new "owned" license doe NOT start with the L letter.

L68******* -- my oldest license code
                VBF***** -- my other newer one just purchased in June 09

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Actually the L is just an L it doesn't stand for anything except maybe License. It was changed to VBF when we had additional products in phone support, blogs and project tools. VBF simply stands for vBulletin Forums. The Suite licenses start with VBS for vBulletin Suite. Phone support licenses start with PHO. Branding Free licenses have BF in them. Project Tools licenses have PT and so forth.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• doc1975
                    • Nov 2007

Why would you assume that the 'L' preceeding the lincense numbers refers to "lifetime", one could easily assume (such as I did), that the 'L' preceeding the license number, is simply that, 'L' for license... hmmmm. This is a silly thread, I would suggest re-reading the terms until it registers...

Comment

• IndyWebDesign
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Actually the L is just an L it doesn't stand for anything except maybe License. It was changed to VBF when we had additional products in phone support, blogs and project tools. VBF simply stands for vBulletin Forums. The Suite licenses start with VBS for vBulletin Suite. Phone support licenses start with PHO. Branding Free licenses have BF in them. Project Tools licenses have PT and so forth.
                      Then why after I purchased the lifetime/owned license my you changed the license number to reflect the L at the start?

Comment

• tormodg
                        • Oct 2004
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by IndyWebDesign
                        Then why after I purchased the lifetime/owned license my you changed the license number to reflect the L at the start?
                        He just explained it in the very text you quote.
                        Tormod Guldvog
                        Hypography - Science for everyone // Science Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by IndyWebDesign
                          You have two owned licenses on your account. One starts with an L and the other with VBF. However they are the same product.

One of your owned licenses originated as a leased license. That one starts with VBF and was subsequently upgraded to an owned license for an additional payment.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ihsan's Knife
                            • May 2008

Wait hang on. This thread confuses me. I have an owned license, and...
                            "# vBulletin 4 Forum-only with upgrades until your current license expires for free."
                            Wait what? I can get the 4.0 forum without paying a buttload of extra cash?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ihsan's Knife
                              I can get the 4.0 forum without paying a buttload of extra cash?
                              As long as your licenses are current when it is released, you can upgrade to free yes.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...