X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricerice
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

4 Beta

When I download and install my eagerly anticipated version of 4 beta next week, am I going to be able to mod and style it etc without fear of having to do a fresh install when it goes gold???

This is a major concern for me.

Thanks.
  • Darkimmortal
    • Apr 2009

Modding the code, no. Hooks/templates etc, yes.

If not then lol, might as well not bother releasing a beta.

I wonder how good the new diff template upgrading thingy is - could I get started theming on the leaked alpha?

Comment

• ricerice
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Originally posted by Darkimmortal

I wonder how good the new diff template upgrading thingy is - could I get started theming on the leaked alpha?
      Thanks, makes sense. Can't wait for next week.

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Given Alpha - Alpha upgrades weren't possible, and they say not to install Beta on a production site, what exactly gives you the idea that your comment is going to turn out to be correct?
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• sportsfi
          • Oct 2008
          • 3.8.x

Lol too true - What is the point downloading a leaked alpha now anyway when we are within a week and a couple days away from the BETA being released anyway?

Comment

• ChopSuey
            • Apr 2009

Well don't say you have the Alpha, cause they give you an infraction and Revoke your license. But my friend gave me screenshots. I like it, can't wait til 4.0 comes out.

Comment

• Darkimmortal
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Ace
              Given Alpha - Alpha upgrades weren't possible, and they say not to install Beta on a production site, what exactly gives you the idea that your comment is going to turn out to be correct?
              Wishful thinking

Also just because there is no automated upgrade doesn't make it impossible - just a few database changes here and there, run the new template updater (if it actually works) and overwrite all the files.

Comment

• ricerice
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Wishful thinking

Also just because there is no automated upgrade doesn't make it impossible - just a few database changes here and there, run the new template updater (if it actually works) and overwrite all the files.
                im pretty sure 90 percent of people respond UNDER the reply with quote. i think the bubble arrow should go DOWN. yes???

Comment

• cellarius
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Upgrading from beta to beta will very likely be possible, but in no way would I consider anything to be absolutely fixed. If you base styles, mods etc. on a beta version, you always have to be aware that bugs still might crop up and things get changed around. I don't say it's probable or not, I just say that if it should happen, you can't blame IB. It's the nature of beta software, if everything was fixed it wouldn't be beta, but gold.

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by ricerice
                    im pretty sure 90 percent of people respond UNDER the reply with quote. i think the bubble arrow should go DOWN. yes???
                    Then the quote would be attributable to the person who is replying to it, which would be a nonsense.

I can't believe so many people don't "get" this....it's pointing UP...towards the original post...which is higher up in the thread.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• ricerice
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

ahh....thanks mark, i can see that. i would maybe say go with something a little more generic ..
                      for instance > http://www.gamertagnation.com/genera...8-im-boat.html
                      actually, there a great many things eric did on his site that are beautiful and well thought out.

Comment

• ricerice
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

I love the change!!!! Well done Vbulletin. Well done.

Comment

• Dilly
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ricerice
                          ahh....thanks mark, i can see that. i would maybe say go with something a little more generic ..
                          for instance > http://www.gamertagnation.com/genera...8-im-boat.html
                          actually, there a great many things eric did on his site that are beautiful and well thought out.
                          His quoting wasn't one of them obviously.

Comment

• MattyAsia
                            • Aug 2009

I wouldn't rely on that leaked beta too much, I downloaded it to test out the features and themes for working on my new site. After finding javascript errors and such, I just left it alone and await the version coming soon. It's broke enough that I'm going to leave it for now.

Comment

• TheChaosFactor
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Just a few days left and we can all start taking a look under the hood...

Comment