X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardM
    • Nov 2009

Should I go for vBulletin or not?

Hi,

My name is Richard and I live in The Netherlands.
    At the moment I am comparing different kind of forum software,but I am still a bit lost.
    To be honest I only have 2 left, vBulletin and IPB.
    The point is that I want to start a big general forum in The Netherlands,so all the features of vBulletin must be fully translated to dutch,also the admin.
    If I choose to go for the suite,this means that for the admin and for the visitors everything will be in dutch?
    And before version 4 is launched is there already an older suite available,or is the suite brand new?
    I'd like to use blogs also,can members create their own blog?
    I also would like to create a mainpage,can i do this with the CMS in v4?
    On this mainpage I'd like to have new posts,ads and my custom articles or content.
    And before the CMS is available can I use vbAdavanced?
    Can I also create pages within vBulletin with a tab in the menu bar?

Oh,maybe a stupid question,but why should I go for IPB instead of vBulletin?

For now I wrote and asked enough,but I am sure I will ask some more questions soon,I want to be sure to choose the right package

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance

Richard from The Netherlands
  • gamestar
    • Apr 2005
    • 3.8.x

To answer the question involving the translation:
    There is a professional translation freely available here: http://www.applinet.nl/varia/vbulletin/
    However, this currently only works for vBulletin up to 3.8, and it's not sure if it will provide translation for 4.0 (although not that much has changed I believe).

Another downside is that only what's visible for the user has been translated, so admin features are still in english.

Comment

• PersianForums
      • Jul 2007
      • 3.8.x

Hello Richard

I am using vbulletin for about 4 years , I have tested both IPB and vBulletin , But I strongly offer you to use vbulletin ,
      Why am I telling you this ?
      Because : 1.vBulletin has a perfect support team
      2.there is a lot of developers with alot of add ons for this great forum CMS ,so you will be able to to create your website based on your needs

I think my reasons are enough to chose vBulletin instead of IPB.

Now Your Questions :

If I choose to go for the suite,this means that for the admin and for the visitors everything will be in dutch?
      You can easily change you Forum Language to German or Dutch , it takes you less than a minute. Just Download Dutch language file and then upload it to your website via AdminCp. (all language files will change your forum and admincp languages both )
      And before version 4 is launched is there already an older suite available,or is the suite brand new?
      No its new
      the answer is yes , You just have to purchase the publishing suite for this purpose.
      the answer is same as blogs , You need vBulletin Publishing suite.
      Yes, I have tested vbadvanced too, there is 2 versions of this Add-on , Free and Dynamic one you can see the demos here
      yes you can customize templates.

after all , The vBulletin Is the best choice

Comment

• GeorgeB
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by RichardM
        Hi,

My name is Richard and I live in The Netherlands.
        At the moment I am comparing different kind of forum software,but I am still a bit lost.
        To be honest I only have 2 left, vBulletin and IPB.
        The point is that I want to start a big general forum in The Netherlands,so all the features of vBulletin must be fully translated to dutch,also the admin.
        Not sure about admin CP, but the stuff on the CMS and forums, and blogs would be in dutch.
        The suite is brand new. It has taken the most popular features that most users utilize and combined them into one!
        Yes, you can choose which members can and cannot create blogs
        Yes, CMS is designed to be the main page for the site/forums
        On this mainpage I'd like to have new posts,ads and my custom articles or content.
        Yes, and yes.
        Not sure, but if you know how to edit the templates, that shouldnt be a problem for you.

Oh,maybe a stupid question,but why should I go for IPB instead of vBulletin?
        I have tried other software, but after using vbulletin, I would never use nothing else. It just all depends on what your preference is really.
        George Beale
        www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |

Comment

• Robert Waanders
          • Mar 2006
          • 3.6.x

Here is Robert from the Netherlands ;-) Also using vBulletin with dutch translation.. Indeed, admin is not in dutch. For support purpose I prefer adminpanel in english..

Robert

Comment

• RichardM
            • Nov 2009

Thanks to all of you for the replies.
            One other thing,Iif I choose an english template(style)for the forum,will this also be in dutch if i use the dutch language pack?
            You always have buttons like "reply" in a theme,but you can not change the text in the buttons,this means you need to make or add new buttons in my own language?
            And what about seo optimization?I see many vBulletin users are using vbSeo to optimize their blog,just had a look,but this will cost me $149.
            Isn't vBulletin standard seo optimized?
            Last edited by RichardM; Wed 4 Nov '09, 10:18am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

We provide an English version only but there are a number of unofficial language packs available to licensed customers here:

This forum contains free vB language packs available for downloading by licensed customers. These packs are submitted by customers and are not 'official' language packs.

The good thing about vB4 is that all the language in buttons is now in the CMS and can be edited in phrases. In earlier versions you would have to create new buttons with the translated phrases. That will no longer be necessary.

Also vB4 comes with it's own SEO utiliities. While not as extensive as the vBSEO add-on this may be enough for you.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                • Apr 2009

3 languages? D:

And none of them dutch btw :P

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Not sure where you got that from but there are abut 191 language packs including this Dutch one:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Radgul
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 3.8.x

You will see only 3 languages if you don't change "Thread Display Options" to "Show threads from the... Beginning".

This forum contains free vB language packs available for downloading by licensed customers. These packs are submitted by customers and are not 'official' language packs.

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                      • Apr 2009

Oh lol my bad :P

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...