Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeremy8
    • Oct 2009

My host: process limit of 25 concurrent processes

Will I run into any problems because of this?

If it depends on the amount of people on the forum at once, how many people would you estimate there can be before there are potential problems?
  • Abomination
    • Jul 2008

Let me guess, Host gator.

I'm with them, with the same 25 connection limit, works fine for average 40 people online, max was 100 people.

Comment

• Jeremy8
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Abomination
      Let me guess, Host gator.

I'm with them, with the same 25 connection limit, works fine for average 40 people online, max was 100 people.
      Can you check cPanel? I'm interested in the amount of processes it says at an average time for you. Thanks.

Comment

• Abomination
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Jeremy8
        Can you check cPanel? I'm interested in the amount of processes it says at an average time for you. Thanks.
        I've been checking it for weeks/months. It is almost always 1 or 2, occasionally 3 at the most.

My understanding is while both the number of simultaneous connections to the database, and the number of processes, are both limited to 25 at Hostgator, those are 2 separate items.

Comment

• Jeremy8
          • Oct 2009

They told me I might need to upgrade to VPS. I guess that's not the case. Thanks.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

While each process should only last mere milliseconds, a limit like this will ultimately have a negative impact on your site as it grows. The best way to look at hosting is to make sure your provider has an upgrade path for you. That way when your shared hosting is outgrown, you can go to reseller hosting, then you can move to VPS or Semi-Dedicated, then dedicated.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Abomination
              • Jul 2008

They told me I might need to upgrade to VPS. I guess that's not the case. Thanks.
              I am really curious, do you now have a forum? If so can you say how busy it is or what forum software you are using?

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                • Apr 2009

They seriously need to consider moving to Nginx+FastCGI.

Comment

• Jeremy8
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Abomination
                  I am really curious, do you now have a forum? If so can you say how busy it is or what forum software you are using?
                  Yeah. About 50 people using it at once on average. Max was about 120. So just a little more than yours. It uses ZetaBoards, so I don't host it.

Wayne mentioned upgrading, but 3 out of 25 processes seems like it still has a lot of growing room? And that limit was the only reason HG gave me for upgrading.

Comment

• Abomination
                    • Jul 2008

Yeah. About 50 people using it at once on average. Max was about 120. So just a little more than yours. It uses ZetaBoards, so I don't host it.

Wayne mentioned upgrading, but 3 out of 25 processes seems like it still has a lot of growing room? And that limit was the only reason HG gave me for upgrading.
                    I'd just go ahead and use hostgator for the time being. I'm pretty careful and through, they answer their phones and will walk you through it. I would not say that unless I meant it, I certainly have no interest in any of this except to help you out.

What I would do is not worry about the hosting too much and research all the other things involved with the transfer. Just a heads up, after you buy the vb software you will be asked to provide an url where it will be used or you will not be able to download it, You can change that at any time in the license area of your vb account.

Comment

• Abomination
                      • Jul 2008

One more thing.

If I had to do it all over again, especially in your position, I would definitely give these guys a call. They have stellar reputation on this site:
                      HomepageUniverse is a leading provider of website hosting, VPS hosting, reseller hosting and dedicated servers. 24/7/365 support, a 99.9% uptime guarantee.

They appear more expensive but it will take you much time to learn things. Another option is paid vb.com phone support, but they may be a little busy at the moment until v4 comes out because there is much happening on the forums at the moment.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 3.8.x

Will I run into any problems because of this?

If it depends on the amount of people on the forum at once, how many people would you estimate there can be before there are potential problems?
                        I asked much the same question a few months back, and was told that I could have four or five hundred people online at the same time before I would bump up against any limitations. Why are you asking the question? what issue has arisen, if any?

Comment

• Trekkan
                          • Oct 2008

I'm using Hostgator as well and am at about 2-4 processes at the most. Usually around 2.

I do have DB issues with them though, every week I get a string of "unable to locate database server" errors for about 2 minutes and then it's good. Not sure what the deal is. I'm wondering if this is happening due to my backups at the time or something. Anyway, I've been using them for almost a year and it's been a really good host so far.

Comment

• columbusgeek
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 3.6.x

For the cost it's silly to even run the risk. At least get a VPS and not worry about this at all until you get to a medium to large board size status. You are paying what, 10-20 bucks for a shared bit from HG? Get a VPS from somebody like VPSlink for $7.95-$34.95. HEck, if you <referall links are not allowed> you can get 10% off for life so it's even cheaper.

Comment

• Abomination
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by columbusgeek
                              For the cost it's silly to even run the risk. At least get a VPS and not worry about this at all until you get to a medium to large board size status. You are paying what, 10-20 bucks for a shared bit from HG? Get a VPS from somebody like VPSlink for $7.95-$34.95. HEck, if you use this link I found you can get 10% off for life so it's even cheaper.
                              You are suggesting an unmanaged vps?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...