X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiowChen
    • Nov 2009
    • 3.8.x

VB4 Alpha version ... leaked !!

Well, long story short, there is a leaked version of VB4 (alpha) , without any piracy protection / license requirements. Its being sold in China for $5 ....and those chaps are providing hosting as well...(some bulletproof servers). For obvious reason, I cant post the urls...

My questions are -

1) How legal is tht ? What is someone makes minor customization and modification to the alpha software and distributes it, what can VB do ?
    2) Since I personally saw the VB software (including the admincp) , it seemed more like 3.8.5 to me, rather than the next level VB. How different wud be the beta (or the gold) version of VB . At this moment, its just not good enough....
    3) Just to let you know, I have been told that there are major security defects , and this leak just helps the hackers to come up with exploits sooner than expected.

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Siow
  • Trekkan
    • Oct 2008

1 - Obviously, running and selling software you do not have the rights to is illegal. Of course, I'm not the VB legal dept, but... I'd think that is fairly obvious. I'm sure if you've reported this, they'll deal with it.

2 - If you don't feel the software is good enough to purchase, don't purchase it. There's no better way to show your feelings than that. Those that do like it (like myself), will keep on keep'n on too.

3 - People will start finding exploits and whatnot as soon as they get the software. Whether that's now or later, it doesn't really matter. As long as these defects are corrected as soon as possible, you can't ask for much more.

Comment

• Eriksrocks
      • Apr 2008

In before the lock.
      Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and visit www.vb3forever.org!

Comment

• Green Cat
        • May 2008
        • 3.8.x

This is obviously piracy please report it here: http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php

Comment

• cbiweb
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by SiowChen
          Well, long story short, there is a leaked version of VB4 (alpha) , without any piracy protection / license requirements. Its being sold in China for $5 ....and those chaps are providing hosting as well...(some bulletproof servers). For obvious reason, I cant post the urls...

My questions are -

1) How legal is tht ? What is someone makes minor customization and modification to the alpha software and distributes it, what can VB do ?
          2) Since I personally saw the VB software (including the admincp) , it seemed more like 3.8.5 to me, rather than the next level VB. How different wud be the beta (or the gold) version of VB . At this moment, its just not good enough....
          3) Just to let you know, I have been told that there are major security defects , and this leak just helps the hackers to come up with exploits sooner than expected.

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Siow
          I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks they have something by getting the alpha, is a moron. Straight up, that's how it is. They think they're so cool and cutting edge. Well woo-f*king-hoo. Congrats on owning a lump of coal.
          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• renep
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

there is a leaked version of VB4 (alpha) , without any piracy protection / license requirements
            You mean the thieve says the theft has no owner. But when you purchase (or download) the theft, you may find yourself in another jurisdiction, where the owner objects.
            "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
            - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• SiowChen
              • Nov 2009
              • 3.8.x

1- No, That is not my point. But if a forum owner pays $200 (approx) for a license , and sees 10 other chaps running a similar software for free , it would be discouraging.The exclusivity goes right out of the window, and it become just as good (or bad) as running phpbb, just that you paid 200 for it. I just want to know if VB is capable enough to solve the issue. As I mentioned, the file i saw did not ask for any licnese whtsoever,and the guys I know told me they actually have the original source codes 'purchased' from a VB employee. Isnt tht some serious **** ?

2- Thats not the point....nor even agood excuse. If you say you are charging clients for a much improved next gen forum software, they ought to provide it. Ofcourse its their software and they can develop **** and ask for gold in return....but where's the ethics.

3- Well, to give a headstart to the hackers, even before the software reaches beta stage...hmm. You might be concerned if you have a forum with 100k members.

I hope they can handle it, coz as far as I know, you cant do nothing in China.

Comment

• SiowChen
                • Nov 2009
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by renep
                You mean the thieve says the theft has no owner. But when you purchase (or download) the theft, you may find yourself in another jurisdiction, where the owner objects.
                Dont tell me you never downloaded a pirated MP3 or a movie.

My obvious concern is not regarding ethics, its about the possibility of a totalsource code leak. These chaps can probably now develop the 'lump of coal' into something else and distribute for free.....

If thats not a cause for concern...well, theres always Rafa Benitez

Comment

• Trekkan
                  • Oct 2008

Dont tell me you never downloaded a pirated MP3 or a movie.

My obvious concern is not regarding ethics, its about the possibility of a totalsource code leak. These chaps can probably now develop the 'lump of coal' into something else and distribute for free.....

If thats not a cause for concern...well, theres always Rafa Benitez
                  You get the entire source when you purchase the product. All you're really saying is they are using an alpha to base their "own" version off of. Not too smart anyway, and not something that can't be done when the gold version is released anyway. It's not like they shouldn't try and stop this stuff (they do), but ultimately this changes nothing that couldn't be done once gold is released.

Comment

• SiowChen
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Trekkan
                    You get the entire source when you purchase the product. All you're really saying is they are using an alpha to base their "own" version off of. Not too smart anyway, and not something that can't be done when the gold version is released anyway. It's not like they shouldn't try and stop this stuff (they do), but ultimately this changes nothing that couldn't be done once gold is released.

No Sir,you dont. What we get is encrypted under ioncube. What is leaked is the true source code (a commented version probably) . Notice the difference ?

Comment

• KevinL
                      • Apr 2005
                      • 3.8.x

No Sir,you dont. What we get is encrypted under ioncube. What is leaked is the true source code (a commented version probably) . Notice the difference ?

Nothing is encrypted when you buy VB. It is all open code....
                      HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
                      Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

• Eriksrocks
                        • Apr 2008

vBulletin has been pirated and "nulled" since its existence. Jelsoft (now IB) has and will deal with pirated websites and distributors appropriately. This is nothing new. The idea that these guys can develop something better off of the alpha and then get away with distributing it for free is ridiculous.
                        Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and visit www.vb3forever.org!

Comment

• darkwrld
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Do you even own a vBulletin license =/

Comment

• KW802
                            • Jul 2003

You must be running a different version of vB then the rest of us.
                            [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• cheat-master30
                              • Jun 2008
                              • 3.8.x

... vBulletin 1/3.8 are visible source code. Maybe the alpha was different because it was private, but as is you can see the source code, comments, everything.
                              DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...