Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeremy8
    • Oct 2009

Does vBulletin have "auto tools"?

Hey, I currently use ZetaBoards. They have what are called "auto tools" ...not sure if that's what they are called with every forum software. But they are basically these mod/admin actions that can be set up in the ACP. They show up like a mod option shows up (such as closing a thread). There are auto tools for topics and auto tools for members. For example, a member auto tool could send a message a member and then remove his/her signature. A topic auto tool could move a topic to a board and leave a message in it, etc. These were extremely useful, so I'm wondering if vB has this or some version of this.
  • hitmancode47
    • Jul 2008
    • 3.8.x

I believe the function you are talking about is called pruning, i could be wrong though.
    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Jeremy8
      • Oct 2009

I don't think it is that.

Comment

• BacTalan
        • Jun 2009

No, pruning is a different feature from autotools.

Comment

• kontagio.us
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Jeremy8
          Hey, I currently use ZetaBoards. They have what are called "auto tools" ...not sure if that's what they are called with every forum software. But they are basically these mod/admin actions that can be set up in the ACP. They show up like a mod option shows up (such as closing a thread). There are auto tools for topics and auto tools for members. For example, a member auto tool could send a message a member and then remove his/her signature. A topic auto tool could move a topic to a board and leave a message in it, etc. These were extremely useful, so I'm wondering if vB has this or some version of this.
          Autotools defined

vBulletin shows you options from the thread view page for closing, copy, move etc... You can move a thread and leave a redirect link.

I think you'll be happy with vBulletin's moderating options
          vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• Jeremy8
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by kontagio.us
            Autotools defined

vBulletin shows you options from the thread view page for closing, copy, move etc... You can move a thread and leave a redirect link.

I think you'll be happy with vBulletin's moderating options
            You don't quite know what an auto tool is. I'm pretty sure vB doesn't have them... which is sad since even ZetaBoards does.

Comment

• kontagio.us
              • Aug 2009

You don't quite know what an auto tool is.
              Autotools defined
              vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• tercede
                • Jan 2005

You don't quite know what an auto tool is. I'm pretty sure vB doesn't have them... which is sad since even ZetaBoards does.
                You answered your own question.

Also, I find it a bit odd you're trying to compare ZB to vbulletin. ZB owns you, your forum, your users, and your data. You can't export the forum database nor can you install mods as you see fit like vbulletin.

I would be cautious going with free forum hosting like that..

Comment

• kontagio.us
                  • Aug 2009

Not to mention you don't see a penny from the advertising.
                  vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• Jeremy8
                    • Oct 2009

I am simply pointing out that software thought to be weaker than vB has this very useful feature and vB, which people pay for, apparently does not have it. I believe IPB also has it.

Comment

• mccollin
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 3.6.x

I am simply pointing out that software thought to be weaker than vB has this very useful feature and vB, which people pay for, apparently does not have it. I believe IPB also has it.
                      All of the stuff in that list can easily be done as a moderator or admin with vBulletin, and has been possible for years. Its in the thread and post tools drop down menu, and dependent on what your authority level is. The only thing there that is not "out of the box" is replying with a pre-canned response to many threads. While I'm sure that's useful, its kind of a nit in the grand scheme of what vBulletin can do, and I'd bet that something like it is probably available in the hundreds and hundreds of available enhancements available at vbulletin.org. This is kind of an apples and oranges comparison.
                      Mikey
                      PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by tercede
                        You can't export the forum database
                        You could always scrape and parse the posts as a last resort. Perhaps the admin CP would give you enough data to grab users too.

Comment

• Alteran Ancient
                          • May 2005
                          • 3.8.x

What the OP actually means about "Autotools" as seen on ZetaBoard's Documentation is the process of automating frequent multi-tasks into one-click actions; I remember IPB2 boasted such a feature, called "Multi-moderation" (NOT to be confused with in-line moderation!) or something silly, that would allow an admin to create/define/design a function in the ACP that Admins & Mods could use on threads, e.g. Autotool "Lock this off" would create a pre-determined post in the user's name "This thread is off topic, and is being locked." and would lock it at the same time. Or "Hot Thread" could be set-up to produce a response "This is a very important thread! Stickying this..." and the thread would be stuck at the same time; all in one click.

Now are you starting to understand? The feature itself in vB is relatively non-existent, unless there's a mod on vB.org I'm unaware of, but the actual moderation actions are already there to use.
                          -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
                          This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment

• Neo_obs
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Alteran Ancient
                            What the OP actually means about "Autotools" as seen on ZetaBoard's Documentation is the process of automating frequent multi-tasks into one-click actions; I remember IPB2 boasted such a feature, called "Multi-moderation" (NOT to be confused with in-line moderation!) or something silly, that would allow an admin to create/define/design a function in the ACP that Admins & Mods could use on threads, e.g. Autotool "Lock this off" would create a pre-determined post in the user's name "This thread is off topic, and is being locked." and would lock it at the same time. Or "Hot Thread" could be set-up to produce a response "This is a very important thread! Stickying this..." and the thread would be stuck at the same time; all in one click.

Now are you starting to understand? The feature itself in vB is relatively non-existent, unless there's a mod on vB.org I'm unaware of, but the actual moderation actions are already there to use.
                            In other words, it can't be done out of the box but is completely plausible that it can be made into an add-on. Maybe someone should do that, doesn't sound like a half bad feature.

Comment

• Jeremy8
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Alteran Ancient

Thank you. This is what I am talking about. It is very useful, so I hope someone makes an addon.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...