Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akiy
    • Apr 2000

CMS: Article Revision History?

Does the upcoming CMS have the capability of storing article revision histories?

Thank you.
    AikiWeb Aikido Information
  • kontagio.us
    • Aug 2009

I don't think this can be answered for sure until the beta comes out. Even then there will be changes. vBulletin 3 keeps a moderation log so it would be safe to assume it would. This is just my general user opinion though.
    vBulletin Rules!

Comment

• mccollin
      • Jul 2003
      • 3.6.x

A log is very different from revision history. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the OP was referring to wiki-style revision history, where you can roll back to prior versions. I would be surprised if this is a feature of the vbulletin CMS since a wiki is dynamic and could be changed many times over its published life, and a CMS typically allows you to publish articles which once published would not be likely to change.
      Mikey
      PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

Comment

• dutchbb
        • Nov 2003
        • 3.8.x

I guess that would be a pretty advanced feature to wish for in a first release, but it's a great feature to have.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

VB3 has this feature now for forum posts, I don't see why the CMS wouldn't.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• mccollin
            • Jul 2003
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
            VB3 has this feature now for forum posts, I don't see why the CMS wouldn't.
            Where is this feature in vBulletin 3? If you edit the content of a post and then save it, vBulletin keeps the last saved version. No revision history kept.
            Mikey

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
              • Sep 2001

No, it will keep prior versions of the post too... lets see if I can edit this and try it out here

Edit 1 / Test 1
              Edit 2 / Test 2
              Edit 3 / Test 3

If you click the Last edited by Reeve of Shinra link -- it will give the option of displaying and comparing various saved versions.
              Last edited by Reeve of Shinra; Mon 2 Nov '09, 12:31pm. Reason: test 3
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Eriksrocks
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                If you click the Last edited by Reeve of Shinra link -- it will give the option of displaying and comparing various saved versions.
                I get a permission error.
                Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and visit www.vb3forever.org!

Comment

• TheHeartSmasher
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Eriksrocks
                  I get a permission error.
                  I believe Regular users can only view their own history .

This would be a very nice feature to see for the CMS, you can enable the revision history from the admincp options in vB3 for posts.

Comment

• boatdesign
                    • Jun 2001

This would seem quite doable and a nice feature whether some users use the vB4 CMS for article posting or others use the vB4 CMS for a wiki.
                    Boat Design & Boat Building Forums

Comment

• mccollin
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by TheHeartSmasher
                      I believe Regular users can only view their own history .

This would be a very nice feature to see for the CMS, you can enable the revision history from the admincp options in vB3 for posts.
                      Dang... learn something new every day. I'll have to check into this.
                      Mikey

Comment

• roscoe
                        • Nov 2008

Why don't you just combine it with an already proven, stable and very user friendly CMS/CCK system Joomla. It is already being done and very sucessfully with various Joomla components and modules. Why re-invent the wheel when it is already there. Because if the CMS comes out looking like vbAdvanced which it did before you took it down, yes it was up here. What a waste! Just my opinion! Joomla would love to work with you and they could use a little influx of cash.

Comment

• akiy
                          • Apr 2000

Hi folks,

The "post edit history" seems pretty useful in terms of seeing the changes made -- thanks for reminding me of that feature. From what I understand, the CMS article system is an extension of the Forum system, so I imagine that this post feature will be available with the CMS articles.

I think the current feature seems a bit limited, though, in that there is no easy way to see an earlier version of the post in its entirety (but, rather, interspersed by its diffs) and there is no easy way to roll back the post to an earlier version. That said, I hope that we'll be able to see an earlier version of an article (rather than just the diffs) and be able to rollback to a previous version of an article in the CMS...
                          AikiWeb Aikido Information

Comment

• goyo
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by roscoe
                            Why don't you just combine it with an already proven, stable and very user friendly CMS/CCK system Joomla. It is already being done and very sucessfully with various Joomla components and modules. Why re-invent the wheel when it is already there. Because if the CMS comes out looking like vbAdvanced which it did before you took it down, yes it was up here. What a waste! Just my opinion! Joomla would love to work with you and they could use a little influx of cash.
                            Joomla is Open-Source. vB not. That's alone a showstopper...apart from that they're completely different systems both in programming logic and database structure etc... For example taxonomy (or choosing multiple categories for content) only comes at J! 1.6 next year...whereas vB CMS already has this...not to mention custom (not pre-defined) usergroups.

Comment

• mccollin
                              • Jul 2003
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by goyo
                              Joomla is Open-Source. vB not. That's alone a showstopper...apart from that they're completely different systems both in programming logic and database structure etc... For example taxonomy (or choosing multiple categories for content) only comes at J! 1.6 next year...whereas vB CMS already has this...not to mention custom (not pre-defined) usergroups.
                              Open source isn't a show stopper... there are plenty of open source projects that are commercial. The issue with Joomla code is that its licensed via the GNU General Public License, and that is a show stopper. You can't take any code from something released via GNU and make it commercial. You can offer commercial services or packaging, but you can't sell the code or any derivative works. So it is impossible for them to incorporate Joomla or any Joomla add-ons into their product.
                              Mikey

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...