X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ramsesx
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
    but by that line of reasoning you would also prefer a SAAS installation of vbulletin.
    No, this would be absolutely no option. You normally safe no (longterm) data on a chat, so I see a big difference to a forum or gallery or whatsoever.

Comment

• Alfa1
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Integration is important to me. I need users to be able to report problematic chats. I'd like to be able to infract from chat. 1 to 1 chat between vbulletin friends/contacts. Usergroup chat permissions. Such functions are often not available, so that means I'll have to mess around with the code and modify it to my needs.
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Ramsesx
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
        Integration is important to me. I need users to be able to report problematic chats. I'd like to be able to infract from chat. 1 to 1 chat between vbulletin friends/contacts. Usergroup chat permissions. Such functions are often not available, so that means I'll have to mess around with the code and modify it to my needs.
        Yes, this depends all on everyones individual needs.

Comment

• Garamond
          • Jul 2004
          • 3.8.x

Why would you undermine the forum activity by installing a chat window?

Comment

• Alfa1
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

It increases forum activity if you use it well.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Garamond
              Why would you undermine the forum activity by installing a chat window?
              I've never seen a negative effect on forum traffic by adding a chat service. Chat is not long-form discussion.

Comment

• Keysailor
                • Apr 2010
                • 4.0.x

While some forums need separate chat rooms and/or lots of features, that does add to complexity. For smaller forums, I use GCBOS Generic Chat Box Operating System, see http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ighlight=gcbos - it is dead simple to install and use. Not a good answer for everyone I realize, but it might be the ticket for some.

Comment

• BigAl205
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 4.2.x

I've tried just about every chat solution available. One thing that you have to consider is server load. If you're on shared hosting, this could become a problem, especially if you have a high refresh rate. Here are my findings:

Chat Blazer (what I use now)-awesome user interface; hosted separately so no server load; does NOT integrate with VB without major tweaks; server can be laggy at times; one user can't log in because of corporate firewall
                  VSa Chatbox-not an actual chat room, but is a shoutbox which shows up at the top of the forum, posts can be deleted and usergroups can be set, works on your server
                  Flashchat (tufat)-Nice interface; integrates with user database; can be integrated into an actual VB page; works on your server; since it is flash-based, iPhone users can't get access
                  Addonchat-Very user-friendly; hosted on a very fast server; integrates with user database; flash-based, but a plugin is available for iPhone users; several users couldn't get in due to firewalls
                  phpFreechat-nice little open-source chat room that is customizable but can be difficult to figure out; has a few bugs when used with IE; works on your server; does not integrate with VB user DB
                  ajaxchat-nice overall chat room; works on your server; doesn't integrate with VB user DB

Hope this helps.

Comment

• QuickQuestion
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 4.2.x

Hey, I'm new here and really need a question answered. (Yeah, I'm that guy who brings threads back from the dead. It's better than creating another thread, then having links posted & being told that 'there is such thing as a search option', aye).

Originally posted by Grover
                    No, it doesn't. But it should as vBulletin is now promoted as a the most powerful community software. If vBulletin really wants to make a difference and evolve into a real community platform, it should support an integrated 1-on-1 chat like Facebook does.
                    So does anyone know of a good mod which will mimic this? Any help is much appreciated. I'm looking for a 1-on-1 chat, Username to Username style which is solid & dependable.

Much appreciated.

Edit: PS This will be used on a very large forum.
                    Last edited by QuickQuestion; Thu 24 Feb '11, 11:13pm. Reason: ^

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

You need to ask this over at www.vbulletin.org.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Leadcrow
                        • Oct 2010

digitalpoint created a chatroom addon. Free and available from vbulletin.org

Digital Point Chat:

Comment

• QuickQuestion
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 4.2.x

Excellent. Thanks guys, & thanks for redirecting me.

QuickQuestion

Comment

• Alfa1
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by QuickQuestion
                            I'm looking for a 1-on-1 chat, Username to Username style which is solid & dependable.
                            There is no such thing on vbulletin.org

For facebook like chat solutions, check the add-on overview in my signature.
                            I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...