X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LSIntegra94
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.8.x

CMS, What's the difference between Sections and Categories

As the title implies. Regarding the CMS, what's the difference between Sections and Categories? How do each of these items affect the main site menu?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

I believe there is already another thread around here that answers this exact question. Basically, you may create several categories within each Section. I guess categories are to sections like prefixes are to forums (except you can't create a category group and then assign that to several sections like you can create a prefix group and assign it to several forums).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• LSIntegra94
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.8.x

I'll be darned if I can find it.

If I have right what you stated though it would go something like this if I used vB's CMS for a website about boats.

One Section would be "Home", another "News", "Articles", etc... Would Sections become part of the main menu if I choose to have them there?

Then the Categories would be child to the Sections. Let's say that on my boat website we also wrote reviews, which would be another Section, and I wanted the reviews to be broken down into different types of boats (Categories); row boats, sail boats, steam boats, etc... Would these Categories become a part of the main menu as well in a drop down or fly out form.

Home | News | Reviews | Articles | Etc. |
      Row Boats
      Sail Boats
      Steam Boats
      Etc.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Right now, you can have widgets to show the sections and then another widget to show the categories in the section you are currently in (this is shown in the screenshot here - http://files.vbulletin.com/images/ca...s/CMS_home.png .

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• LSIntegra94
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.8.x

Thanks Lynne. I truly hope that there is more to than just that though. What I really need/want is for the navigation to be in the top navbar. Referring to that image Site Forum Blogs Settings, or this actual page Forum Projects Blogs What's New? From what I've seen so far, the navigation is my only issue. But it is a serious issue for me.

Really wish that a vB Dev would reply to this before the end of the sale. Kinda sucks not having an "official reply".

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Right now, you cannot put stuff in the navbar through the CMS. You can, however, very easily add tabs, along with the subsection, to the navbar - I have actually written an article on how to do it for vb4. But, as I said, there isn't some button to push to automatically add your section/categories to the navbar right now (and I haven't seen any talk of doing that).

If you need a Staff response to something, the best thing to do is to put in a Support Ticket.

Comment

• LSIntegra94
              • Jul 2005
              • 3.8.x

Lynne, could you point me towards your article? I would very much like to read it.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

It's in a forum that isn't available to the public yet (a vb4 forum which will be visible once vb4 is Gold). It's just a short article on how to write a plugin that will give you a new tab along with sub-sections for the tab.

Comment

• Steve_C
                  • Aug 2001

I don't get the difference either...

Comment

• Sotonforum.co.uk
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3.8.x

I'm also a tad confused with the whole Sections/Categories thing.
                    Is there a way to disable categories? So my site is only using Sections...

Comment

• Edwin Brown
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 5.5.x

Yes. Remove the category widget from the layout, and don't create categories or assign articles to categories if you have them. Then nobody will see categories.
                      Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...