vBulletin Better Allow Refunds - What Happened?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SecondV
    • May 2006
    • 3.8.x

mmm, all we need, more bloat
    Regards,
    Eric Sizemore

My modifications

Comment

• nforums
      Banned
      • Jun 2009
      • 3.8.x

Seriously, head over to the suggestion forum with some of these.

Its possible some have never been suggested before, so why not make a few threads and suggest the features you'd like to see.

Complaining, and moaning about it, won't get anything any where, it'll lead to more frustration before it leads to a better product

Comment

• prolific_one
        • Aug 2009

Ptwiggins has many unique ideas, and not bad at all, but as touched on before there are a few concerns. Comparisons to facebook are a bit unfair, as facebook develops their own single website and don't run it on a wide variety of servers. vB is marketing a forum that is distributed to many customers for many purposes and used on a wide variety of hosts/servers. Some of the suggestions are great and would be nice additions with on/off options in the settings to assist with server load and bottlenecks. But overall I think most people have a favorable viewpoint of vB. If it were so easy to develop such a forum (as described by Ptwiggins), there are plenty entrepenuers out there that could dive in and give it a shot. But yet, vB remains an outstanding top-tier forum with many options and excellent support.

Comment

• knightdreams
          • Feb 2005
          • 3.8.x

Quote:
          When viewing a thread, new replies from others load using ajax in real time

Not good for large boards, would be to much of a load when you have a lot of people on, in which that's what most people have is large boards

Quote:
          Mentions - any time someone uses your username, you would get a notification.

Again, for large boards...adds more load, and why would you want to know anytime your name is mentioned?

Quote:
          Chatrooms

Forums....vBulletin is Forum software, not a place for instant chat.

vBulletin is starting to come around to the whole Social Networking aspect and I am glad for it, it does help spice up a site and gives the users a sense of home. It will take some time to be like MySpace and Facebook, but really...I don't want vBulletin to be like them, why be like them when they are already well established places, and it would not be vBulletin trying to compete with MySpace and Facebook, it would be the person running the Forum and quite frankly...no one can do it on the level they already have going for them. A few of there features would be nice, but by no means should vBulletin try to compete with them.

I have been a customer of vB for sometime now, and have always loved there products, I am a bit disappointed in vB4 at the current moment, but it is still in very early stages of Beta. It does need some work here and there, and ajax is not all it is cut out to be so I am glad not to see a bunch of it being added, the CSS2 is a very nice touch, will actually make styling a lot easier.

And even by being new to vB, you should have known that when the announcement was sent out about the pre-sale that it was not available and would not be for some time, hence the word 'pre" with sale and it has been splattered all over this site that is was still in Alpha and still Beta to come. So by you thinking it was available or would be in a matter of days was your own stupidity cause you did not research it first, if you had you would have known.

I can see both sides of the things that are going on here, I agree with those who are upset and I agree with the staff, sometime one out weights the other from time to time. Did the staff release this version on this site too soon? Yes, they should have tested it on an "EXACT" same environment and they would have been able to tell there would have been a problem, but to say they have already did it once and it was flawless just shows they did not test the upgrade properly, and that has upset a lot of people. Also at the same time there are people saying they should have added this or added that when they are encouraged to post those suggestions and don't, they see one person post about it and maybe a couple of post in that thread that say they like it so they think it has been addressed, if you want something added and want to get there attention...speak up, they (vB Staff) like to use the word "Majority" a lot so give it to them.

I am sure I could keep going on and on but I think I will leave it at this for now.

Comment

• Ptwiggens
            Banned
            • Jan 2007

What?

Most customers do not have big boards... that is pretty logically obvious. My forum handles it just fine. (I'm running the plugin that does this on a moderately sized forum with no issues, and I'm sure an official solution would be much, much better coded and efficient)

And I'm stupid because I read an email and interpreted it the way that someone reading it without any prior information would interpret it? I should have done research before coming to a conclusion?

You guys are really grasping at straws on ways to defend vBulletin.

And what are you even talking about with your paragraph on facebook and myspace? It's not about competing with them, it's that they have features that overlap and they happen to do those features very well. I don't know where you came up with this competing with facebook thing... wanting some features that facebook has does not mean that I want to compete with Facebook... I mean... come on... is this just nonsense to try and confuse people into agreeing with you?

The point is not even about the features that I specifically mentioned... it's the fact that the people at vB haven't done ANY innovation. There aren't any new features despite a VAST ocean of features to choose... or gasp... come up with new stuff that nobody has done before.

Let's look at another company that does innovation extremely well: Apple.

Does Apple just keep the iPod basically the same throughout the life of the product... only adding features when the majority of users request it... or desperately clinging to a model they know works?

No... the innovate. They singlehandedly changed the entire mobile phone industry because they were willing to do things that nobody had done before, with features noone else had, and a UI that an 80 year old woman can figure out... seriously, my grandmother uses an iPhone... she just texted me... I can tell you right now she could not figure out vBulletin if her life depended on it. Then... they keep innovating. The iPod click wheel went from mechanical, to touch sensitive, to what we have now with multi-touch display. They saw room for improvement on how things were, and they went back to the drawing board and redid it completely different, but it was even better.

vBulletin is the exact opposite. They haven't changed anything about how the user experience is... in fact, they've only managed to make it more complicated over the past few releases.

Facebook is a great place to look for inspiration because they are spending tons and tons and tons of money paying people to find out how people want to use the site... and then try and think of ways to improve it that people don't even know they want. I will bet vBulletin hasn't spent a dime on a UI/UX expert.... and if they have then they should ask for their money back.

Am I the only one that sees a problem when the rest of the internet undergoes a fundamental shift in how they want people to interact with information, and vBulletin hasn't changed at all in how users interact with information. It's not optimal...

This is NOT what the future of forums looks like... vB 3.8 with some fixes. Whoever comes up with the gamechanging new way of displaying forum content in a better way to the user is going to win the next battle... unfortunately, vBulletin isn't equipped to be in the race any longer.

Comment

• dark_hunter
              • Oct 2009
              • 3.8.x

You know what they say. Rome was not built in a day. Everything is still in beta. This gets everyone to have a look and test it. While testing it people can report errors making this great forum software even better than before.

Comment

• Ptwiggens
                Banned
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by dark_hunter
                You know what they say. Rome was not built in a day. Everything is still in beta. This gets everyone to have a look and test it. While testing it people can report errors making this great forum software even better than before.
                They've spent an entire year supposedly rewriting the software from scratch... and everything looks and behaves exactly the same. All that they did was what they were going to have to do anyways to remain standards compliant... I'm sorry, but you don't get praise for simply maintaining as far as web standards goes. That doesn't count as a new feature. Nor does changing the template system which is exactly the same thing. These are just bare minimum improvements that needed to be made.

Comment

• knightdreams
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ptwiggens
                  And I'm stupid because I read an email and interpreted it the way that someone reading it without any prior information would interpret it? I should have done research before coming to a conclusion?
                  If you was reading the email means you signed up somewhere on here to receive it, which means you have the capability of reading the forums as well. So you not taking the time to read the forums is your own fault for not being up to speed on what is going on, conversations about vB4 have been going on for some time now. So you are saying that you created an account here at vb.com and never read anything about vB4 so you did not have ANY prior information about what was going on with vB4.

If that is the case....Yes You Are Stupid In Your Interpretation Of The Email.

This is NOT what the future of forums looks like... vB 3.8 with some fixes. Whoever comes up with the gamechanging new way of displaying forum content in a better way to the user is going to win the next battle... unfortunately, vBulletin isn't equipped to be in the race any longer.
                  neither is IPB, phpBB or any others, they ALL have there pros and cons and none of them are doing anything major to do what you are saying, just cause vB is not there yet does not mean they won't be, and again.....this is only vB4 Beta...which is not much more than what Alpha was, so if you do not want to be patient enough right now to see what it will be like for RC or Gold for that matter then move on to someplace else...maybe one of those other forums who are "innovating"....wait...there are none, so get over it and wait to see what comes.

They've spent an entire year supposedly rewriting the software from scratch... and everything looks and behaves exactly the same. All that they did was what they were going to have to do anyways to remain standards compliant... I'm sorry, but you don't get praise for simply maintaining as far as web standards goes. That doesn't count as a new feature. Nor does changing the template system which is exactly the same thing. These are just bare minimum improvements that needed to be made.
                  <br /> <br />

Wow...must not know what Beta means, THEY ARE NOT FINISHED WITH IT YET, just because what you see now on the site does not mean thats what the finished product will be like....

And an entire year was not spent on JUST vB4, they had updates to do on other version, there have been staff changes, hell...there was even a major company change, so things had to get ironed out there and get new staff caught up to speed....

You need to get over yourself and realize that things do not revolve around just you and what you want.

Things will happen when they happen...that's life.
                  Last edited by knightdreams; Sat 24 Oct '09, 1:42pm.

Comment

• Alfa1
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.8.x

vb4 will hopefully offer a 'new content' link for all new content. And a basic, but integrated CMS will be available.

For me those two important improvements are the only reason so far to buy vb4. So I see progress and that's nice to see.

I do see that there is a lot to improve & expand to make vbulletin meet the demand of current times. And as someone indicated in this thread, competing applications do not offer a large amount of features more than vbulletin. Just a bit more. Hopefully vbulletin will recoup and advance much more.

Ptwiggens, it seems to me that you are missing that vb4 is not mainly a release of new functionality, but mainly a rewrite to allow this to happen. So there is some promise for the future.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Alfa1
                      Ptwiggens, it seems to me that you are missing that vb4 is not mainly a release of new functionality, but mainly a rewrite to allow this to happen. So there is some promise for the future.
                      Nicely put, and it happens to also be right.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

vb4 will hopefully offer a 'new content' link for all new content.
                        It doesn't, and I strongly suspect it isn't going to either.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• slinky
                          • Mar 2001
                          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by dark_hunter
                          The problem is that we, the people, are being asked to fund the entire new Rome today - nobody gets a chance to look and test anything unless you are an alpha/beta tester and even then it's very raw. We didn't make that decision and are left with not knowing what to do the next 6 months, e.g. not bother making other forum improvements or realizing that this product may not nearly replace what we have and which will continue to grow. The forced upgrade and at the stated price, which feels like a threat of needing to repurchase everything later, is unfortunately the root of the problem.
                          My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• Mark.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            Nicely put, and it happens to also be right.
                            Maybe, but of course that's "jam tomorrow", and we've been hearing that since 3.6.

Will we hear the same thing with 4.1?

Some, like me, have got bored with it and will make our own improvemnts to 3.8 from now on.

Such as my comment above...after YEARS of promising multi content search, we STILL have separate pages for new forum posts, new social group posts, new blog posts, etc. HOW can this have been overlooked, when so many people have highlighted it?

The single reason blogs and social groups don't work is that they aren't included in getdaily/getnew, and yet in vB4 they STILL aren't included. I can't actually believe that!
                            MARK.B
                            vBulletin Support
                            ------------
                            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Ptwiggens
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by knightdreams
                              Wow...must not know what Beta means, THEY ARE NOT FINISHED WITH IT YET, just because what you see now on the site does not mean thats what the finished product will be like....
                              They aren't going to add any features between now and release... don't act like they've got some ace up there sleeve and it's only beta.

And saying that they were working on a CMS... last time I checked, 100% of vbulletin's customers use vbulletin, and only a fraction will use the CMS or blog... in my opinion they should have spent that time and money working on their core product, which needs a huge amount of work to become relevant again.

There is a reason why all the original staff is pretty much gone... this is not the same company it used to be... and they don't have the same goals as they used to.

Comment

• Ptwiggens
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2007

That is the point... they just completely rewrote software to be just as lame as it was before the rewrite. vBulletin is the best forum software out there (eh.. debateable now, but we'll just assume that's true)... however, I do not think that vBulletin is good software in it's own right... in fact it sucks... especially given how far web technology has come. It's utilitarian, at best. Serves it's purpose, but does so with no panache whatsoever.

VB 4.0 should have had more differences with 3.8 than it had similarities.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...