Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arjan
    • Jul 2005

Will there be a public beta?

Everyone is dying to get their hands on vB4.
    Some people have pre-ordered.

Will there be a public beta which people can try on a "sandbox" server or something?
    Advantages are: people can get familiar with the new features before the final release, the vB team will get test results "from the field", add-on developpers can have a good look on how they can add their product to vB4.
  • rgf207
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

It has been said that this forum will run vb4 in beta stages. There will be a selection of beta testers that Jelsoft hand picks. It is not likely that there will be an open beta but that may change at any point in time.

Comment

• kyrgyz
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by rgf207
      It has been said that this forum will run vb4 in beta stages. There will be a selection of beta testers that Jelsoft hand picks. It is not likely that there will be an open beta but that may change at any point in time.
      Hand-picked alpha testers, hand-picked beta testers.....

Could Jelsoft at least assure us that add-on delevopers like vBAdvanced, Photopost and vBTube will be allowed to beta-test vB4 so that we, paying customers, can get our sites rolling on vB4 quicker instead of waiting for 4-5 weeks after vB4 release.

I read Ray Morgan didn't even reply to Photopost developer's request for alpha-testing.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by kyrgyz

Could Jelsoft at least assure us that add-on delevopers like vBAdvanced, Photopost and vBTube will be allowed to beta-test vB4 so that we, paying customers, can get our sites rolling on vB4 quicker instead of waiting for 4-5 weeks after vB4 release.

I read Ray Morgan didn't even reply to Photopost developer's request for alpha-testing.
        No, they can't assure you of that. It will depend on whether the authors of those add ons were prepared to ask to be on the beta team, and then it will further depend on whether the company then deign to offer them a place on it.

If they don't, then the authors of those addons won't get access to the code any faster than you or I.

The modification community is largely used by the "hobby board" customers, who the company is trying to ditch, and to be honest involving the modification community with anything has NEVER been a priority for this company, even before it was sold to Internet Brands. So all things considered, I wouldn't hold your breath.

That said, I'm sure the add on authors will update them in a timely fashion. Brian at vBadvanced for example has said he will update vBaCMPS to work with version 4.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• dodgeboard.com
          • Nov 2005
          • 4.0.x

I read Ray Morgan didn't even reply to Photopost developer's request for alpha-testing
          He didn't reply to them-he said he could not/would not..

Ray has said from the beginning that the beta testers will not receive a confirmation regarding beta testing selection, you simply put your name in the hat and wait. All applicants will be notified whether or not, all at the same time, when the beta test program launches. *crossing fingers*

Comment

• pahvi
            Banned
            • Jul 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by rgf207

Actually I got other info from the support team in a ticket.

"Hello Patrick,

That's correct, if you take advantage of the pre-sale offer then you will have access to the vBulletin 4.0 beta.

Best Regards,

vBulletin Support Team"

Comment

• kyrgyz
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Mark.B
              LOL and it's one of the most stupid things I've ever seen a company do, and one which immediately alienates anyone who has been particularly critical of the companies actions.
              Exactly. Add-on developers bring business to vBulletin. I, for one, will be buying my second Suite license 'cause of vBTube. They should be in the critical list of beta testers, not randomly picked.

Originally posted by Ak Worm
              http://demo.parlancia.com/

Wow, Work in progress!
              It says "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3". Am I missing something here?

Comment

• tpearl5
                • Jul 2001
                • 4.2.X

Wow, Work in progress!
                Looks like someone took some time to make it looks like vb4. that's 3.8

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
                Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

• wii
                  • Sep 2000
                  • 3.8.x

It's just a skin, the only real vB4 I've seen was the chinese site, which has now been closed down.

Comment

• Gumble
                    • Sep 2008

If there was no presale discounts, and vB4 announces would you be more happy?

I only see ppl here complaining, how many have beta softwares experience?

90% or more of the public complains just want to put the hands in something new, some give the excuse they need to see it to buy, if there was someone new to vB i would understand, but long time registed persons, i give them no credit (sorry).

Any company is free to pick who they want to give them feedback's, or to have things closed to anyone, why a release of a beta to all the comunity would benefit vB in anything?

A lot of requests and complains i see as self issues, everyone want vB to work for their own needs and not as a product for a large ammount of customers, i have been as beta tester with other things, and since the last one i quit with the registrations on that, why?

Cause there was a lot of ppl screwing all the info i and some more tried to pass, cause everyone was happy with a new thing, and they just wanted things to work as they want, and in the final the companies end with xxxxxx beta testers, having xxxx giving replys about the beta and from those xxxx a few xxx posts are real good reports and feedback. In many many things is the way the product is tested before launch that will benefit everyone from producers to end users,a bad test schedule and report system can make the product the customers want useless and after a while everyone turns back to the company.

Give them time, if you need to work on anything new, diferent whatever, do it on the current version.

If you just dont care about anything else and just wanna jump over the vB4, have patience, take a holiday week or something and relax.

Comment

• ChopSuey
                      • Apr 2009

Wasnt ssayiing it was an actual demo, thats why i said work in progress.

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Wow, Work in progress!
                        This link keeps turning up everywhere in threads about what vB4 looks like and I have no idea why. It is getting close to spam now.

Important points:

1) It is a link to a 3.8 installation, not vB4.
                        2) It looks absolutely NOTHING LIKE vB4.

I have no idea whatsoever why people keep posting it everywhere. It is simply muddying the waters and confusing matters even more than they are already.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by pahvi
                          Actually I got other info from the support team in a ticket.

"Hello Patrick,

That's correct, if you take advantage of the pre-sale offer then you will have access to the vBulletin 4.0 beta.

Best Regards,

vBulletin Support Team"
                          Please send me a private message about who this response came from. This information is incorrect at this time.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 4.2.X

ad vbcredits and vbgaming to that list
                            Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• Mr. Mikey
                              • Feb 2009

Wow, Work in progress!
                              And now it's gone
                              My Forums: The Geek District - Off Topic Hut
                              My Blog: Mikeylicious
                              Projects: Shorten URL's with kwn.me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...