X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abroad
    • Mar 2007
    • 3.6.x

vbseo and new SEO features

how will the new SEO features interfere if I have alreade vbseo installed and change to the new suite? Is there for example an option to keep vbseo active?
  • crichighlights
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.8.x

vbseo 3.5 will be compatible with vb 4

Comment

• abroad
      • Mar 2007
      • 3.6.x

yeah I mean do I need to switch off seo features of the suite if I have the suite installed...I supposed that my sitemap will change if I switch to the seo feature of the suite?!?

Comment

• Arjan
        • Jul 2005

If you switch to the SEO feature of the suite, then your URL's will most likely look different.
        Consider if that's something you want.
        Many sites link to the current URL's, as do search engines. All those links will get 404 error's and that will cost you a lot of traffic. (URL rewrite problems with vbSEO did cost me some 50% a few months ago).
        Sure things (traffic) will return, but that will take a long time. To get an idea: look at your stats to see how long ago it was since you had 50% of the visitors you have now.

So, it's up to you what suits you best after considering the pro's and con's.

Comment

• abroad
          • Mar 2007
          • 3.6.x

i think I will stick with vbseo... thanks!

Comment

• briansol
            • Apr 2006
            • 3.6.x

Comment

• Mermaid
              • Mar 2008
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Arjan
              Many sites link to the current URL's, as do search engines. All those links will get 404 error's and that will cost you a lot of traffic. .
              Yes, a problem with sites linking to current URLs, but surely the search engines will pick up the new URLs quite quickly, especially with up to date sitemap.

Comment

• Arjan
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mermaid
                Yes, a problem with sites linking to current URLs, but surely the search engines will pick up the new URLs quite quickly, especially with up to date sitemap.
                Sure they will, but it takes quote some time, still for traffic to return.
                Don't forget of the silent visitors you'll loose because they have some pages in their favorites and now think the content does not exist, or they are unable to find it again because it's pretty old and they don't know how to search to find it.

Believe me, changing the URL's will ruin your traffic for a couple of months.

EDIT: for the people new to SEO: That is not the case when you change vB's default URL's like /showthread.php?p=1815883#post1815883 to a "static" URL, since the default ones allways will work. It is only the case when you stop using static URLS like /vbseo_and_new_SEO_features.html to something else or back to vB's default URL's.

Comment

• Mandar Salvi
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 3.8.x

I am not going to use vBSEO - Will use in built features Sold all my vBSEO Licenses!

Comment

• hydn
                    • Sep 2005

Not sure about that combo yet

Comment

• smnet
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mandar Salvi
                      I am not going to use vBSEO - Will use in built features Sold all my vBSEO Licenses!
                      Now that was not the smartest of moves.

You might want to refer to this:-
                      vBSEO, Search Engine Optimization, URL Rewrite Settings, Custom Rewrite Rules, Relevant Replacements, Linkbacks, Sitemap Generator, Link Building, SERPs

and then to this:-

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...