Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Perfect Ending
    • May 2006

A little confused

I am just slightly confused by some of these changes. I currently run a vB forum on 3.7.2 and I've been very happy with it. Our license renewal wasn't supposed to be due again until May of 2010, but with these changes, what does that mean that I have to do now? All I want to do is continue running a forum. I don't really understand what all the Publishing Suit includes, but if I just want a forum like I have been for over 3 years now, what does that mean that I need to do and how much is it going to cost me?
  • Tigurius
    • May 2005

From what I understand, you don't need to worry. You'll get an update to vBulletin 4 with the revised features. Up to you if you would like to upgrade to it. The suite allows for a content management system and blog. If you don't need it. Don't need to pay for anything else now. Plus, you get free updates for the entire vB4 series, so you don't need to renew your licence. At least this is from what I understand. Correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

• calorie
      • May 2003

Existing customers with an active license (purchased under the old scheme) will continue to have access to new forum versions until their license expires. For example, if your vB3 license expires in February 2010, you can download new vB4 Forum releases (without an additional fee) until your vB3 license expires. At that point you would need to upgrade (renew) to receive further access to new versions.

Under the old scheme, if your license expired, you would have still needed to renew to receive further access to new versions. Under the old scheme there were $40/$60 yearly renewals. Under the new scheme, the upgrade (renew) fee covers you for access to the series (point releases) of that version, so for example, you would get vB4.1, vB4.2, etcetera, up to but not including vB5.

New pricing info can be found at https://www.vbulletin.com/order/ including the pre-sale discounts that are slated to expire on Oct 30th '09. Click the Customer Login button, and after you are logged in, click the Purchase button, and scroll down the page to see the options to upgrade existing licenses.

If you have further questions, please feel free to send us a ticket: http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Comment

• ra87
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Tigurius
        From what I understand, you don't need to worry. You'll get an update to vBulletin 4 with the revised features. Up to you if you would like to upgrade to it. The suite allows for a content management system and blog. If you don't need it. Don't need to pay for anything else now. Plus, you get free updates for the entire vB4 series, so you don't need to renew your licence. At least this is from what I understand. Correct me if I am wrong.
        You missunderstand IB version of a "Free Upgrade".

From their site - It looks like existing customers get a "FREE" upgrade to the new vb4 license (as it states and upgrade is free, but a new license is $195).

But, in actual fact, you are not getting an upgraded license at all - you are still following the old license, but just cannot renew anymore, meaning when your license expires you have to shell out for a whole new license (or upgrade for $20 less :S)

Comment

• Baba Wawa
          • Feb 2009
          • 3.8.x

You should plan to pay $130 for the whole suite by October 30.

Otherwise, when your license expires next year, you will have three choices:
          1: To stay at 3.7.4, but with virtually no support;
          2: To purchase a 4.x forum license, at $175 (or is it $195?) AND pay $80 per year for any support needed beyond the forum;
          3: To purchase a 4.x suite license for $250, with ticket support included.

Comment

• bonnus
            • Sep 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Carrie Anderson
            Existing customers with an active license (purchased under the old scheme) will continue to have access to new forum versions until their license expires. For example, if your vB3 license expires in February 2010, you can download new vB4 Forum releases (without an additional fee) until your vB3 license expires. At that point you would need to upgrade (renew) to receive further access to new versions.

Under the old scheme, if your license expired, you would have still needed to renew to receive further access to new versions. Under the old scheme there were $40/$60 yearly renewals. Under the new scheme, the upgrade (renew) fee covers you for access to the series (point releases) of that version, so for example, you would get vB4.1, vB4.2, etcetera, up to but not including vB5.

New pricing info can be found at https://www.vbulletin.com/order/ including the pre-sale discounts that are slated to expire on Oct 30th '09. Click the Customer Login button, and after you are logged in, click the Purchase button, and scroll down the page to see the options to upgrade existing licenses.

If you have further questions, please feel free to send us a ticket: http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php
            So that means, let's say you release a new version each 18 months. That mean USD175 each version, which is 116 USD per year instead of the 40USD per year you said at the begining.
            The way you say that sounds cheaper, but when you do the maths, there's no free at all. It's more expensive.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...