X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nfn
    • Apr 2006

Downgrade from Suite to Forum?

Hi,

If I pre-order the suite (v4) will I be able in the future to downgrade (have a mechanism/script to clean everything and left the forum only) to the Forum product or I'm forced to use eternally the suite?

Thanks
    Last edited by nfn; Tue 20 Oct '09, 6:44am. Reason: Title correction
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

it's not called downgrading, it is called "deactivation of the cms"... part of the system.
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• nfn
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by nexialys
      it's not called downgrading, it is called "deactivation of the cms"... part of the system.
      If "downgrading" OR "deactivation of the cms" = Forum product (not suite), then yes!

Comment

• nexialys
        • May 2004
        • 1.1.x

the cms is a "addon" to the vBulletin core, so when you deactivate it, it then vanish and is not reachable... same for the blog and so on.
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• DanielSefton
          • Oct 2009
          • 3.8.x

...except nfn would still have to pay the full suite price if he wanted to upgrade. So if he doesn't use it in the future, he'd be paying extra at upgrades for nothing. I think basically when VB 5 comes around, if you just want the forum, then you'd have to buy a new license.

Comment

• nexialys
            • May 2004
            • 1.1.x

actually the CMS is cheaper than the forum for the pre-release period... ;0) so it's a simple win win

Comment

• DanielSefton
              • Oct 2009
              • 3.8.x

Yeah, cheaper only in the pre-release period to get you locked into it; you'll be paying full (suite) price at the next upgrade whether you want it or not.

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                • Apr 2009

Who wouldn't want it?

Comment

• nexialys
                  • May 2004
                  • 1.1.x

Daniel, this is not the goal of THIS thread... stay focussed please.

Comment

• nexialys
                    • May 2004
                    • 1.1.x

you like to talk about yourself Daniel, but you are not the one to call this question, and the answer was quite complete... thanks!

Comment

• DanielSefton
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 3.8.x

I was only stating a perfectly valid and relevant point, that nfn may not be aware of. No need to bite my head off...

Comment

• CoRRuPt
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by nexialys
                        you like to talk about yourself Daniel, but you are not the one to call this question, and the answer was quite complete... thanks!
                        He didnt talk about himself. He was helping, so i suggest you take chil pill pall, and calm down.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 3.8.x

I think it's important to differentiate between "disabling" and "downgrading."

Yes, you'll be able to "disable" the CMS and other suite components.

No, you won't be able to "downgrade" in future. That is, if you buy the v.4 suite, you won't be able to get the v.5 forum at a discounted price. Or, to put it another way, once you have purchased the suite, you are locked in to the suite.

Comment

• nfn
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Baba Wawa
                            No, you won't be able to "downgrade" in future. That is, if you buy the v.4 suite, you won't be able to get the v.5 forum at a discounted price. Or, to put it another way, once you have purchased the suite, you are locked in to the suite.
                            This is the answer I would like to ear! Is this official or just a supposition?
                            As we can see, JS/IB are forcing us to buy the suite.

Comment

• Baba Wawa
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nfn
                              This is the answer I would like to ear! Is this official or just a supposition?
                              As we can see, JS/IB are forcing us to buy the suite.

Someone asked that exact question in a post, and that was the answer given by a vB. staff person.

Perhaps someone could find it by searching for "downgrade"?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...