renewing licenses/upgrades - what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shoonra
    • Oct 2000

renewing licenses/upgrades - what do I do?

I have a couple of forums I need to upgrade. I am looking for the latest stable upgrade (currently running 3.6.8).

I went to the members area and my licenses have expired during the summer. So, I go to the new interface, log in to renew and download and I can either go for the VB4 for $190 or I can't upgrade??

What if I just want to upgrade without switching over to VB4? I thought that my license, with the yearly renewals of ~$30 or so came with lifetime upgrades? why the $190 now? and why can't I just upgrade to the latest 3.*.* version? Is the new VB4 going to cost $190 a year from now on?
    CatForums
    Verdant Gardening Forums
    If you have pets/home and family related forums, hit me up for a link exchange!
  • Shoonra
    • Oct 2000

Ok, I see now that I can download the patches and later versions - but I still can't renew my license, right?

Also, on the download page here -

What do I select to upgrade a forum from 3.6.8 - just the 3.6.8 patch level 2 option, or the latest option - or all of them? if I choose the latest version, will that include the upgrades betwee 3.6.8 and 3.7.4?

Sorry for all the questions! Confused here.
    CatForums
    Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

• Sadie Frost
      • Dec 2001
      • 5.0.X

Hi Shoonra

To upgrade from 3.6.8 to 3.7.4, yes, just download the latest option. That will take care of all the upgrades in between

And no, there is no option to renew licenses now, only to purchase the vb 4 Suite or vb 4 forum only, which would then allow you to download the most current version of vb 3 (3.8.4). Hope that makes sense

Comment

• Shoonra
        • Oct 2000

Thanks for the quick reply

What happens when the VB4 needs upgrades? will there be a an annual cost to that?
        CatForums
        Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

• Pope Viper
          • Mar 2006

No, the purchase of VB4.0 gives you access to all releases/patches for the life of the product (4.x) line. When 5 comes out, you'll have to pay again for that upgrade.

Comment

• tru
            • Feb 2002

I have a feeling vbulletin is going to run into legal issues with forcing customers to upgrade to 4.0 for a fee rather then a free upgrade which states it's a 12 month upgrade/renewal.

This is about like Ford Motor Company modifying there warranty.. (we now charge a $130 service fee even tho you have a warranty that use to cover this for free. something new we added.) What it is, is the company taking advantage of the customers. Let's sell to them and sell to them for years and offer a simple upgrade/renewal fee and then on the 4th version lets change the rules and bank off them.

Should be an interesting year for vbulletin. I don't expect the US to bail them out of this one

Comment

• Shoonra
              • Oct 2000

I guess we can just stick to the 3.X version though, if we wanted to. As long as it's stable and secure, I don't see what the problem is. Once there are un-handled security issues, then we'll see... hopefully it won't come to that.
              CatForums
              Verdant Gardening Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...