Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarthek
    • May 2006

Seperate purchase of CMS without forum

While this I didn't find adresed yet and we might be interested in, is there a plan of offering CMS without forum in the future, so it can be used on "normal" sites.
  • smnet
    • Oct 2005
    • 3.8.x

How very random. I doubt whether this would be possible. The CMS is so ingrained throughout the forum's security, permissions and reporting systems. This alone would prevent anyone in their right mind from wishing to seperate this out into a seperate product.

I may however be wrong of course.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

The CMS requires the forum to run.

Comment

• thbertram
        • Sep 2006
        • 3.8.x

This may sound odd, but if the CMS was good enough, I could conceive of situations where someone might want to use the features of the CMS without actually presenting the community board. I've never looked into any CMS packages so I've no clue to what they cost... but just for fun, I could see the situation...

Comment

• tickedon
          • Jan 2004
          • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by smnet
          How very random. I doubt whether this would be possible. The CMS is so ingrained throughout the forum's security, permissions and reporting systems. This alone would prevent anyone in their right mind from wishing to seperate this out into a seperate product.

I may however be wrong of course.
          Someone also said that the CMS articles are actually stored in the same table as forum posts. Not confirmed, but, that would indicate its really not possible to have one without the other!
          Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
          # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
          # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

• choccyclaire
            • Jan 2008

AND vBulletin is a FORUM product first and foremost no? lol

If you want something like what jelsoft are offering; download joomla.

Comment

• Jazzyname
              • Dec 2008
              • 3.8.x

The flag ship here is the forum webware, the addition is the suite plug in...

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Sarthek
                While this I didn't find adresed yet and we might be interested in, is there a plan of offering CMS without forum in the future, so it can be used on "normal" sites.
                In vB 4.0 Suite, the cms and blog are very tightly integrated with the forums as one application hence it wouldn't be possible to separate the cms or blog as a standalone product. So no the cms or blog for vB 4.0 purposes can't be offered as a separate purchase.
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• wacnstac
                  • Jul 2000
                  • 3.6.x

I can't imagine why someone would want to do this. There are plenty of CMS's which are mature released and free products which you could use TODAY.

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

The value of a vBulletin CMS is going to be the forum behind it.

If we are going to compare CMS apples-to-apples, ignoring the forum, the obvious choices are Drupal and Joomla 1.6.

Comment

• Sarthek
                      • May 2006

To Drupal or Joomla I would say no today. If any, I would go with Typo3, though there is a lot to learn.

I addressed this issue, as when you work with some software long, you become good at it, and you can "specialize" for it + it is easier to maintant more sites with 1 software that with 3 different CMS.

Not to mention that forums are less and less popular with all the social network sites, and thus they wont last indefinitely, so I am wondering where development is going to be in the future.

Hopefuly I will be able to read this from roadmap, once available.

Comment

• cellarius
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by tickedon
                        Someone also said that the CMS articles are actually stored in the same table as forum posts. Not confirmed
                        and not true.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...