X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bklynjava
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.6.x

I need a straight answer

OK I been reading and I see I'm not the only one confused here.

I have an Owned License, If I take the $130 buck deal for the Publishing Suit is that all I have to pay for until 5.0?
  • RobParker
    • Nov 2006

Yes

Comment

• panus
      • Mar 2009
      • 3.8.x

Yes.

Comment

• bklynjava
        • Jul 2005
        • 3.6.x

Thank you and one more question.

Will my current license that expires in March be valid and the new license start from that expiration or will my purchase/upgrade now be the new license date?

Comment

• RobParker
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by bklynjava

Will my current license that expires in March be valid and the new license start from that expiration or will my purchase/upgrade now be the new license date?
          That's unclear.

I've just upgraded and it's now showing as a second license in my account which Wayne describes here as a "sub-license".

"It is a transitionary thing from the old license to the new. Your vBulletin 4 publishing suite is currently actually a sub-license of your previous one and will take precedence once a release is made to you."

Comment

• redtailboas
            • Jan 2005
            • 3.8.x

My understanding is that with your purchase/upgrade the new 4.0 license takes priority at that point and the 4.0 license does not expire. You will notice that the date in your member page will show and incorrect expiration date, but that is in fact an error that has been verified by the technical support staff.

Comment

• RobParker
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by redtailboas
              My understanding is that with your purchase/upgrade the new 4.0 license takes priority at that point and the 4.0 license does not expire.
              That would make sense but Wayne's just said that's not the case...

Rather he said that my VB4 license "will take precedence once a release is made to you".

It's all still a mess with it being really unclear/confusing which isn't helped by bugs/incorrect information in the upgrade system.

Comment

• bklynjava
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by RobParker
                That's unclear.

I've just upgraded and it's now showing as a second license in my account which Wayne describes here as a "sub-license".

"It is a transitionary thing from the old license to the new. Your vBulletin 4 publishing suite is currently actually a sub-license of your previous one and will take precedence once a release is made to you."
                Ok great thanks for the answers guys time to upgrade.

Comment

• redtailboas
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 3.8.x

That would make sense but Wayne's just said that's not the case...

Rather he said that my VB4 license "will take precedence once a release is made to you".

It's all still a mess with it being really unclear/confusing which isn't helped by bugs/incorrect information in the upgrade system.
                  I agree with you that there is a lot of confusion around here.. 100's of pages of posts full of confusion.

My post was mainly to say that the once you purchase 4.0 your license will not expire. You have 4.0.. You are licensed for 4.0.. no expiration.

Your point is valid in what Wayne said "once a release is made to you".. should be obvious that you can't have an active license without the software, so until that time the 3.x license is "active"

Does that make sense?

Comment

• RobParker
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by redtailboas
                    Your point is valid in what Wayne said "once a release is made to you".. should be obvious that you can't have an active license without the software, so until that time the 3.x license is "active"

Does that make sense?
                    My VB3.x expires in November. If VB4 isn't out until January (for example) then what's the status of my license?

Do I have an active license or not?

Comment

• TWood
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 4.1.x

Ok great thanks for the answers guys time to upgrade.
                      No kidding...

Pay $130 and be set with everything you can possibly need until version 5.

They've pointed a HUGE spotlight on the path they recommend you take, and now there's all these complaint posts from people who want to run off into the brush. Herding cats, I suppose...
                      shout street
                      willful stupidity

Comment

• Blackbook
                        • May 2009

Rob, in that situation you'd need to pay $175 to access the vb4 forums. - Thats 'full price' and the 'price' or any newcomer.

If that situation happens, and you were foolish enough to support IB's blatent fraudulent activity - then I suggest splashing the $175 on a new license and then having two (one for vb4 and one for vb3). Then you can run 2 forums.

Failing that...there is always the naughty *cough cough* sites....
                        It's an omen...

Comment

• RobParker
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Blackbook
                          Rob, in that situation you'd need to pay $175 to access the vb4 forums. - Thats 'full price' and the 'price' or any newcomer.
                          That's clearly incorrect.

I now own a VB4 license as I just paid for it. My point is that even the staff are really unclear on what this all means as Wayne replied in the other thread that the VB4 license "takes precedence" once VB4 is released and is currently a "sub-license".

I'm assuming that once my VB3 license expires, the VB4 license will "take precedence" even if VB4 isn't out by then.

Comment

• Blackbook
                            • May 2009

It's very simple actually.

IF you've already paid for a vb4 license - Then you're covered with every release up until vb5.You're previous vb3 license and expiry date are null and void as you've still only got the ONE license.

IF you've still got an active vb4 - You will recieve updates until the end of your current renewal point. When that expires, like before your versions will be frozen and you wont recieve any updates on vb3 or vb4 until you've paid $175 for a renewal (or as they call it 'forum license').... Now, IF you're going to do that, you may as well pretend to be a NEW customer (sign up again) and then you've got TWO vb licenses, and therfore can run TWO vb forums (the old one on VB3, the other on VB4).

Prices are for forums only - I'm not interested in CMS.
                            It's an omen...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

That's clearly incorrect.

I now own a VB4 license as I just paid for it. My point is that even the staff are really unclear on what this all means as Wayne replied in the other thread that the VB4 license "takes precedence" once VB4 is released and is currently a "sub-license".

I'm assuming that once my VB3 license expires, the VB4 license will "take precedence" even if VB4 isn't out by then.
                              The two statements are really the same in the large scheme of things.

1) Currently you are still under your vBulletin 3.X license. You can download the software etc...

2) If you can download from the vBulletin 4.0 Suite license, you will actually get vBulletin 3.8.4 PL1 at this time.

3) Once vBulletin 4.0 Suite is made available to you, then you will be able to download vBulletin Suite 4.0. Your vBulletin 3.8.X license will then be deactivated at that point.

For those that do not upgrade to the Suite or a 4.0 Forum license, their 3.X license will remain active until its posted expiry date. Once it expires, they will no longer receive access to any updates.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...