X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danrak
    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by rldoughjr
    So, will an owned 3.8 license allow me to run the 4.x forums without additional fees until 5.0 comes out?
    Only if 5 comes out before you expire. The wording in the deal is poor, to put it in a good way. Some would say it is a lie.

The license is still the same, except you cannot renew for $60 now. You get all updates until your license expires. From there you have to pay to get into the version 4 license scheme. You are not actually getting version 4 license scheme free.

Comment

• badawidollah
      • Oct 2008
      • 5.0.X

Yesterday this was a free upgrade under "Upgrade existing". Now it is not selectable and indicates "$175, Coming soon!"

The only upgrade option is the suite for $130.

Fresh forum license is $195.

Why would I opt for a partial product which is more expensive than the whole package?

Are these people really this greedy? I expected some sort of concession to those of us stuck with recent purchases, now they are making it even more expensive!
      1 bough owner licensed last month too.
      how to upgrade my vBulletin 3.8.4 to 4.0
      it said its free???
      the best Forum You Ever See. Best style and Best Index www.nusantaraku.org

i need to make a link with you, do u need to make a link with my forum? together we achieve more

Comment

• rldoughjr
        • Oct 2008

Active Owned 3.8 to 4.0 Forums explained

Per discussion with vB (see my prior thread):

1. Active Owned 3.X will have use of 4.0 Forums until 5.0 comes out
        2. Updates will only be allowed until the anniversary date of the license
        3. After the anniversary date, you are stuck on the existing update version
        4. When 5.0 comes out, your use of 4.0 ends.

Not sure about security fixes.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by rldoughjr
        So, will an owned 3.8 license allow me to run the 4.x forums without additional fees until 5.0 comes out?

Yes, but you will lose access to Upgrades once the original expiry date hits.

Comment

• Brian Nic
          • Oct 2009
          • 3.8.x

I purchased a vBulletin (Leased License) which expires: Sep 03rd '10. The main reason i leased was to try the software. As my licence still has over 10 months to run, do I have an option of upgrading my leased to an owned licence?

Thanks Brian

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

No reason to start a new thread. Threads merged.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• badawidollah
              • Oct 2008
              • 5.0.X

Per discussion with vB (see my prior thread):

1. Active Owned 3.X will have use of 4.0 Forums until 5.0 comes out
              2. Updates will only be allowed until the anniversary date of the license
              3. After the anniversary date, you are stuck on the existing update version
              4. When 5.0 comes out, your use of 4.0 ends.

Not sure about security fixes.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by rldoughjr

Yes, but you will lose access to Upgrades once the original expiry date hits.
              i bought My vBulletin Software 19/9/09 and not index well at google or yahoo.

vB4??
              you cant upgrade it
              me too

more upgrade more money
              the best Forum You Ever See. Best style and Best Index www.nusantaraku.org

i need to make a link with you, do u need to make a link with my forum? together we achieve more

Comment

• Brian Nic
                • Oct 2009
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                No reason to start a new thread. Threads merged.
                Didn’t know I did, anyway can I get an answer?

Thanks Brian

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brian Nic
                  I purchased a vBulletin (Leased License) which expires: Sep 03rd '10. The main reason i leased was to try the software. As my licence still has over 10 months to run, do I have an option of upgrading my leased to an owned licence?

Thanks Brian
                  My message wasn't referring to your post.

There is no option to upgrade from a leased to an owned. You can upgrade from a leased to the Suite though for $130.00.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• sjenkins
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 3.8.x

This is the entire problem that people are having with the timing and pricing.

My support for 3.8.x ends 11/20/09.

I can't renew for $40.

I need to upgrade for $130.

So until V4.0 comes out I am paying $130 for support on 3.8.x

Support for 3.8 will be end of lifed after 4.0 release.

If 4.0 is a pile of poo I've paid 3x's as much for nothing.

I know I can forgo renewing the support but with 18 published security patches between version 3.6 and 3.8 why in the world would I want to do that?

Comment

• Aeolian
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 4.2.X

vB makes quality product no doubt, i am not worried about $
                      the vB4 could be $ more but i wish they had a way to test drive the damn product!

Comment

• taffy056
                        • Sep 2004

There is no option to upgrade from a leased to an owned. You can upgrade from a leased to the Suite though for $130.00.
                        Can I ask the logic of this, I bought two full licences from you, and have one active and one not, now I paid $160 each (I think?) for these licences many moons ago, I have paid for the annual renewal to continue the latest releases etc, now I am looking at the above and seeing someone who has a leased licence that costs about half what I paid getting the same upgrade cost option as me, surely that cannot be right?

I have put money into vBulletin over the years, and my upgrade option for my inactive licence is $250, buying a completely new licence costs $235, sorry but you don't seem to know what you are doing.

Also why should we pay you money in advance of the product with absolutely no release date? I really do think you can do a hell of lot better for your existing customers who has more than one licence!
                        Free Kick
                        https://apps.facebook.com/freekick-net/forums.php

Comment

• TNCclubman
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 3.7.x

I want to run 3.8 indefinitely as its highly modded and styled. Is there an option to keep getting security patches for it, no need for vB4...

I'll pay...

Dont want to get hacked or something in a years time...

Comment

• rldoughjr
                            • Oct 2008

New summary thread

Posted here.

Comment

• Markos1977
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 3.6.x

what i don't understand is you say vb3.8 is sported till 4.2 so if the license runs out before then do we still get support if we don't upgrade cos if we do upgrade then we wouldn't need the support for 3.8 as we will download the 4.0 v

the only thing that's putting me off upgrading just now is there will be no mods and no styles for vb4 for a while

Comment

• Darkimmortal
                                • Apr 2009

There is an inaccuracy here. There are two different things here that affect what version of software you are running.

Free Upgrade = Updates as long as your current license is active.
                                $175 Upgrade = Updates as long as 4.0 is being produced and supported.

Licensing
                                During this transition period, there are two licenses. The original vBulletin 3.X license and a new license we are calling vBulletin 4.0. The license is independent of what version you are actually running.

When you purchase a Suite or Forum upgrade, you are converting your terms to the newer 4.0 License and pricing options presented.

Software Versions
                                Under your previous vBulletin 3.X license, you were allowed all updates while the license was active. You could renew that active status with a separate purchase.

Under the terms of your active 3.X license, you can upgrade to vBulletin 4.X for free. When that license expires, you must upgrade to a 4.0 license to continue receiving updates. If you do not upgrade your owned license, you can continue using the latest version accessible to you indefinitely but we are no longer accepting renewals under the older license. At that point, you would decide to upgrade to the 4.0 license or wait to upgrade until the 5.X license.
                                Well that was unexpected. Hardly worth bothering giving out free upgrades to customers who'll have to shell out the full amount a couple of months later. I'd almost rather have a recently expired license right now.

Guess it's IPB for me too

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...