Importing vBadvanced Dynamics Articles Back into Core VB for Publishing Suite Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NashChristian
    • May 2008

Importing vBadvanced Dynamics Articles Back into Core VB for Publishing Suite Upgrade

Hello,

Because vBulletin has not offered a CMS or Articles system of any sort, I (along with MANY Admins) have purchased and been using vBadvanced "Dynamics" article system for the past couple of years. With the launch of vB-4.0 I'm hoping to remove as many add-on products as possible, including vBa Dynamics.

This leaves me with one very serious problem: HOW do I import a couple years worth of Articles (and replies) on my board, from vBa Dynamics, back into core vB to use with your new publishing suite? I would think that this would be a HUGE issue for a large number of Admins, who I believe are your TARGET audience, those who already use a publishing/articles system, who would likely elect to simplify their lives and use one cohesive product instead of add-ons, IF ONLY they can figure out how to get their data out of Dynamics and back into vB.

vBa has built a nice little script for taking your business away from you, by importing vB threads to vBa Dynamics articles, however I don't know of ANYONE who has reverse engineered this process. vBa has no interest in doing this, as it will help make them obsolete in the marketplace, I'd say that the responsibility falls on vB, if you really want this sector of your client base back.

I posted a thread in an IMPEX forum a few months ago, asking whether vB had written a script for this, and the answer was "NO". I asked over at vBa, and of course the answer was the same.

Are you guys going to write a script to help Admins of boards currently using vBa Dynamics article system, bring the business back "home" and import those threads back into core vB?

I think this is a great need, and I personally would really appreciate it!

I'm excited about the new changes with vB4! I commend you all for your efforts! I'm willing to pay for the upgrade! But it is ALL irrelevant if I can't get my data back into vB!

Thanks!
    Jeff
    Last edited by NashChristian; Wed 14 Oct '09, 9:57pm.
  • NashChristian
    • May 2008

Hello,

Does vB have any plans to write a script to help "bring back" our business, so we can use your CMS? Without it, many of us simply CAN'T change software solutions and leave our 3rd party vendors.

Please let me know if you have a solution in the works for this, or whether one has already been created.

Thanks!
    Jeff

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

There are no firm plans at this time concerning importers into the CMS. This will depend on the demand for such scripts after the Gold release.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• NashChristian
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        There are no firm plans at this time concerning importers into the CMS. This will depend on the demand for such scripts after the Gold release.
        It only makes sense that there will be demand, since those who have used a CMS in the past (likely the same people who would be interested in one now) have been forced to use third party products or go without. Can you please escalate the priority of this?

By the way, does this also mean that the admin will not be able to transfer a thread from the "forums" into the CMS and vice versa?

Thanks.

Comment

• tintin74
          • Jul 2007

Hello, I'm a vbulletin member that now have purchased the 4.0 suite.

I've the exactly same problem of NashChristian, I think an export/import script from vbadvanced to vb4.0 suite is needed.

Please think about to create it, please.

Thank you

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Impex is currently being developed and updated for vBulletin 4 and the vBulletin 4 suite

Comment

• tintin74
              • Jul 2007

Does impex import articles from vbadvanced script?

If no, we can hope in the future?

Comment

• NashChristian
                • May 2008

Has this been resolved yet?

Comment

• NashChristian
                  • May 2008

Too little, too late. Bummer! I spent 10 hours copying and pasting threads (individually) back into core vB from vBa dyna... luckily I didn't have very many posts. A little foresight and prepardness on this would have SURE been nice! This has been a horrible transition.

Comment

• Jason UK
                    • Jun 2008

Sorry to bump thread but did not feel it necessary to make a new one.

The lack of ability to import thousands of vBadvanced articles is the one thing preventing me going from VB3 to VB4 right now.
                    Last edited by Jason UK; Tue 1 Mar '11, 11:46pm.

Comment

• Ramsesx
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Best will be to hire someone to write a script, it's very unlikely they'll offering an official import script for vbadvanced.

Comment

• Jason UK
                        • Jun 2008

The way I have vBadvanced set up, it basically has a front page that is actually a forum on the main forums. It just displays the first post of that thread.

How does vBulletin 4 differ from that with the front page? Does it derive the front pages from the forum? Or does it store them elsewhere?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...