Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alpha
    replied
    Originally posted by ENF
    Are you an idiot? Most every single major software mfg. (consumer or not) requires you to purchase new licenses for a new version. In most cases, if you have an active license agreement, you can usually upgrade. In other cases, you have to buy a new license when that new version is released.

And everyone here, that's been around since the early days has upgraded from Verison 1 to Version 2 and then to Version 3 with a, wait for it..... a NEW LICENSE.
    It's obvious that you don't work for a commercial enterprise that require 200K+ user ELAs with vendors such as Microsoft and Oracle. Forgive me for being a bit condescending but it's for your benefit so that you can understand it better. What operating system do you use at home?

If you are a Mac OS user, what would you say if Apple said there is no $29 upgrade license for Snow Leopard but instead your only option is to purchase the full retail license for $169?

If you are a Windows OS user, what would you say if Microsoft said there is no $119.99 upgrade license for Windows 7 but instead your only option is to purchase the full retail Windows 7 license for $199.99?

Better yet, the vendor says you only have 2 weeks to decide but they don't know when their software will be released.

Are you one of those people that don't know any better and purchase the full retail license every time even though you already own the previous version? Bravo to you, very intelligent indeed.

Leave a comment:

• shohin
    replied
    Yes, it seems that after all of the numerous and justified complaints that vB received has in a VERY small way addressed them. However I still find it reprehensible that the time limit of October 31st is outlandish to say the least! I just received my email as to the time limit yesterday and I'm beginning to wonder about those that may have perhaps received it today or not at all yet! Regardless of whether it was yesterday, today, tomorrow or even last week the fact still remains that this notice should have been sent at least 30 or 60 days ago! Sorry, I still find this an outlandish slap in the face and the notifications of prices and changes in policy should have been sent a long time ago and not forcing one to make a decision and or evaluation as to expenses so quickly. This offer is merely crumbs to satisfy the ignorant. Take it for what you will.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Originally posted by alpha
    Honestly, who in their right mind would continue to purchase a new license every time a new version came out?
    Are you an idiot? Most every single major software mfg. (consumer or not) requires you to purchase new licenses for a new version. In most cases, if you have an active license agreement, you can usually upgrade. In other cases, you have to buy a new license when that new version is released.

And everyone here, that's been around since the early days has upgraded from Verison 1 to Version 2 and then to Version 3 with a, wait for it..... a NEW LICENSE.

Leave a comment:

• alpha
    replied
    Hey guys, I got an email from Microsoft. They said in order for me to upgrade to Windows 7, I can purchase the lower price upgrade by October 21st. If I wait until Windows 7 is officially released on October 22nd, I have to pay for another full license.

Of course, the above is funny because it's a joke and even Microsoft is smart enough to understand what makes logical sense. Honestly, who in their right mind would continue to purchase a new license every time a new version came out?

In other news, I stopped by my car dealership to get a new set of tires. They said since I didn't get them until after the warranty expired, I would have to buy a new car. Haha, how funny would that be if it were true?

Anyway, best of luck to everyone especially the vBulletin staff. Talk about tarnishing a great brand.

Leave a comment:

• The Notorious
    replied
    no worries, it's not hard to get confused with the rate things are changing here recently.

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    Originally posted by The Notorious
    nah I mean the announcement only mentions vB 4.0 Publishing Suite and nothing for the forum alone...
    hum, that detail... oups, sorry for the insult...

Leave a comment:

• The Notorious
    replied
    nah I mean the announcement only mentions vB 4.0 Publishing Suite and nothing for the forum alone...

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    the fun fact is that people liked the old license*(renewable on need), they like the new one *(no more yearly fee), but as they are stuck in-between both, they don't like any...

pay your fees or leave is the only solution, no matter the price, even if it is only 10$ you will see some guys complaining about the new rules anyway...

as Floris say, the biggest problem is the roadmap and the delivery which was postponed for months even with no real need or result... from the observer..

Originally posted by The Notorious
    What if you just want the forum and not the suite?
    you pay for the renewal if needed, for the forum version, not the suite... this is logical, i don't see why you ask, the purchase page is very clear about it.

Leave a comment:

• The Notorious
    replied
    What if you just want the forum and not the suite?

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by LegolasTheElf
    My issue is that I don't have an expired *license*. I have an expired *support contract*. My license is valid forever. That means it's an "active" license. To play these word games is really, really scummy... Either the license is valid and active (i.e. owned) or it's not (i.e. leased).

Treat everyone the same. $130 for everyone with a valid license. It's really the only way IB will get some of the dirt of their face.
    That's correct, you have a license that lets you run the versions available to you forever. And once that license has expired you won't have access to upgrades, in the OLD and NEW situation.

The EULA changed, so when you want updates again you have to follow that EULA, if you decline, you simply don't "renew" or "upgrade" and therefor stick with expired license, still with permission to run it forever.

Leave a comment:

• tgcsniper
    replied
    My issue is that I don't have an expired *license*. I have an expired *support contract*. My license is valid forever. That means it's an "active" license. To play these word games is really, really scummy... Either the license is valid and active (i.e. owned) or it's not (i.e. leased).

Treat everyone the same. $130 for everyone with a valid license. It's really the only way IB will get some of the dirt of their face.

vBulletin has the right to change its terms at any time without notice... get over it...

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied

Everyone who knows what they are talking about knows the difference between the terms. You are grasping at straws over terminology.

Your OWNED LICENSE is INACTIVE. Mine however, are ACTIVE. There is nothing scummy about it. It's been this way for a very long time.

Leave a comment:

• LegolasTheElf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• turbe
    replied
    wow, glad I waited..

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Seriously.

If you are PAYING for something it is only FAIR to ask pre-sales questions.

A sales question is NOT a complaint. Don't tag it as such.

It's a valid question to go : You offer me a discount, but what's the roadmap for estimated release?

At this point there's not a roadmap, nor confirmation it will be this year.

Why pay for something with potentially an internal release date of 2019?

Just because people ask valid questions doesn't mean they are venting, ranting, flaming, trolling, provoking or otherwise. They're asking valid and to be honest, fair, pre-sales questions. Because they are offered a discount up front. Duh.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...